Why become a member? ×

Any Love for D'addario Bass Strings?

Che

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1458666649' post='3009675']
What do you find are the differences in sound are between the Pro & Flex?
[/quote]

I really don't hear much difference, both get me my tone easily, even all around and with all the clarity and punch in the world without being too bright. The Flex sound a little bit brighter but at the same time less "piano-like", probably a good word would be smoother but with more "air" when comparing with the Pro. The Flex aren't as harsh to the touch when new as the Pro but they still need some time to feel right.

I wish D'Addario would find a way to take care of this harshness, either using lubrication in the strings before packaging or sending a bit of lubricant with each set of Pro/Flex. I never used fast fret or other products but since changing to Pro/Flex i've been aplying a layer of Dunlop String Conditioner everytime i put a new set in my basses just to help with those first couple of days.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1458666239' post='3009667']
Not my view, i've used a few Elixir coated sets in the past and the sound just wasn't there for me... too artificial is the best way i can describe it, too harsh in the highs and lows but not very harmonic sounding. Replaced it for EXL until The ProSteels were released and now i'm trying my first FlexSteel sets, The Pro and Flex last at least as much as Elixir, cost about a third of the price and the tone is much richer, IMO they are miles appart from each other.
[/quote]

That's interesting! I quite like that artificial sort of tone, but then that goes with the style of music I tend to play and listen to. The way I play the two types of string sound really close! But then I do scoop the mids a bit as well :P

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1458671687' post='3009733']
That's interesting! I quite like that artificial sort of tone, but then that goes with the style of music I tend to play and listen to. The way I play the two types of string sound really close! [b]But then I do scoop the mids a bit as well[/b] :P
[/quote]

aha! there you go! question answered. ;)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1458670762' post='3009723']
I really don't hear much difference, both get me my tone easily, even all around and with all the clarity and punch in the world without being too bright. The Flex sound a little bit brighter but at the same time less "piano-like", probably a good word would be smoother but with more "air" when comparing with the Pro. The Flex aren't as harsh to the touch when new as the Pro but they still need some time to feel right.

I wish D'Addario would find a way to take care of this harshness, either using lubrication in the strings before packaging or sending a bit of lubricant with each set of Pro/Flex. I never used fast fret or other products but since changing to Pro/Flex i've been aplying a layer of Dunlop String Conditioner everytime i put a new set in my basses just to help with those first couple of days.
[/quote]

That`s very interesting. I found that the Prosteels were just about the most comfortable strings I`d ever played, so if the Flexes are even smoother. Plus I did find that the Pros didn`t quite have enough top-end for me, probably upper mids than anything, so maybe again Flexes are the way forwards. I do love my Rotosound steel rounds but am having to change sets at least once a month, bit of a pain, the sound though, well that`s why I buy them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Strung my vintage musicman with some pro steels 135 set, had them on for about 2 weeks now and have been put through their paces at band practise, sweaty pub gig and daily practise. Still got that "fresh out the bag" sound and have really helped me punch through the mix live.

Oh, I managed to pick them up online for a great deal, around £24 a set, think I will be sticking with these for a while.

Heads up to D'addario for making some great strings

Andy gave me a set of these at the LBGS - haven't had a chance to put them on a bass yet....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAddario-NYXL-Nickel-Wound-Long-Scale-Bass-Guitar-Strings-with-choice-of-gauge-/182040250220?var=&hash=item2a6271c76c:m:msas0NUXKboSjEnsjBsGoKA

• 2 weeks later...

Was a given a set of 45-105 NYXL's by Andy at the Midlands Bash. These strings are superb and an improvement on my current set of stainless round wounds of similar value. I'll certainly be sticking with the D'Addarios. Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got EXL165 nickels on my jazz bass and they're great. I've always used Rotosounds but really like these too - more so in terms of the feel, and they seem to have lasted well too.

I've also wound up with a set of new NYXLs which I've yet to put on the bass - the D'Addario rep brought some along as a raffle prize at the Midlands Bass Bash.

I've just picked up an AVRI 63 P bass that was wearing a well worn set of Ernie Ball flats, it has a lovely warm sound almost like an upright.

I succumbed to the you tube videos of Garth Fielding waxing lyrical about the virtues of chromes and the wide range of tones available from them ( found out later that he has a stellertone tone styler on it and this prob helps shape his various tones)

I decides to pick a set up. I couldn't see 45-105s so had to get 50-105 medium

The tension needed to get them up to tune was so much I genuinely thought I was gonna rip my bridge off!

I played them last night and have to sat I was disappointed as they were so bright and twangy.
I had the tone fully off and it was still too bright. In fact they were so bright the tone control made little difference either way.

My Question is they have many fans so are they worth sticking with?
Do they mellow down quickly and are they capable of an old school thump?

Got gigs coming up and don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater but cant decide whether to bang the EBs back on or play the hell out of the Chromes and hope they get to the sweet spot soon.

• 1 year later...

I went from Fender nickels to D'addario nickel and used them on my working basses.
I have Overwater strings on my Overwaters mainly because i won them at a bash bash.
I have Elixir strings on my Warwick but find the tension a little too tight compared to D'addarios.
Tried the DR Nickels on my goto Jazz bass and love the feel and tension from them but far more expensive and haven't really lasted much longer than the D'addario nickels. I usually change about every 2-3 mths depending on use and how much sweating and i start to hear the tone change and they lose their "zing".

I think i'll be going back to the D'addarios again.

Dave

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone is opening the current issue of Guitar Interactive Magazine (out today) you’ll hear lots of my Shuker bass featuring fresh D’Addario strings! Pro Steels this time. I love the NYXL strings, but I can’t say enough about the whole range. Literally something for everyone.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit my experience of the NYXL range wasn't entirely positive. I really wanted to like these strings. The marketing shizz, reviews, and packaging really drew me in so I thought I'd give them a whirl. I usually use D'Addario XL Nickels on my Stingray. The NYXL's felt quite good to begin with like all new strings do, but to my ears while they had the low punch they lacked the usual zing I get from the Nickels. I persevered with them using them at several gigs and rehearsals, but found they just didn't do it for me sound or feel wise, so eventually reverted back to my usual Nickels. Different strokes I guess...

• 5 months later...

I've just switched to D'Addario NYXL for my "rock" bass and I really like them so far, much better for me than whatever the Maruszczyk stock ones were, even when they were new. I've started recording new strings so I can compare like for like instead of comparing new to old, so I'm happy that they give me what I want.

+1.

I switched to flats for the last 3 or 4 years, but I've been drawn back to D'addario, and nickel wounds, by the NYXL's.

Sound great on my Geddy. I'm not a stainless player for years (too much rough feeling and fretwear), so these are perfect. Deep low, and crisp highs without being too cutting.

Do prosteels last longer than the xk nickels? My xl nickels have gone dead on me after just under a couple of weeks playing time, i wanted to try prosteels but if they die just as quickly i will try something else , not too knock Daddario nickels they sounded great before they went  but i can't be changing strings twice a month.

Edited by markdavid