Why become a member? ×

Rotosound Nexus strings

Stefanogregori

I got a couple of sets as a present recently. I'm a pick player too. The coating comes off when attacked with Clayton 1.07 big triangles but it doesnt look too bad.They're a bit less 'clanky' than RS66's but still pretty 'zingy' if that makes sense. They feel a hell of a lot kinder to the left hand fingers as well.
I will use them untill they wear out and then probably go back to D'Addario Prosteels.
Black strings do look great. I loved DR Black Beauties until they changed the coating and ruined them.

we put a set of nexus on all the basses at the music college i work in (4 jazz and 2 precisions) we thought having them coated they would retain some brightness and last a bit longer (they're used 4-5 hours a day every weekday) unfortunately they went dull in no time, seemingly faster than the rotobass strings we had on before and all the coating came of very quickly,we swapped them for a non coated DR low riders and they've lasted 4x as long but they are a bit pricier!

There was a problem with Nexus packaging,the company supplying the envelopes changed the paper to one holding moisture.
This got sorted out a while back but could explain why some folk found Nexus dull or dead.

I was looking for Black Beauties but the owner of Ayr Guitars pushed me in the direction of his Wal strung with Nexus and told me to play it
and see for myself. Now using Nexus on a couple of basses.

I must add super bright RWs are not my thing.

I have these fitted on all my basses, been using them for a few years now and love them.

Primarily I play with my fingers and quite hard too, as a result the coating wears quite quickly. These strings are my absolute favourite and recommend them to anyone, but if you're using a pick I'd advise against them.

Ive got these on 90% of my basses, ive gone from flats to these and as mentioned before they dont feel as abrasive on the left hand, coating doesnt last long where i use a pick but it does up the neck. If your thinking of getting them use ebay, theyre £16, cheaper than anywhere else ive seen.

I use them on guitar and find them brilliant. Last for ever, quite a "dark" sound but one that I like and they feel great under the fingers.

On the strength of that, I put a set on my Fender Jazz - and took them off a week later. They're okay, just not my thing on a bass. Didn't care for the sound and didn't care for the "greasy" feel of the coating.

But that's just my experience, each to his own.