Why become a member? ×

Advice needed for buying EUB or DB

JamesBass

So I've been approached to do a jazz/classical gig next summer, it's a couple weeks long and currently I don't have a EUB or DB, and the MD specifically wants one, so I need to finally get my self in gear and get one - been wanting one for about 4 years now - but I have no idea what to look for, budget is up to £1000 right now. So recommend away!

Double bass, not EUB. If youir MD wants a double bass, he will want a double bass and EUB will not cut it (most sound like fretless electrics). Best crack on I say.

Try Thomann or Gedo Musik. You will find something in your price range that will get you going. They ain't handmade Italian basses but they will get you off first base (see what I did there?). There are those who offer all sorts of complex advice about buying second hand but, to be blunt, the pros and cons of bass hunting at this level are mostly hair splitting. Get an affordable Thomann/Gedo bass, get it set up by a local luthier and you will be fine.

Pretty much sound advice given by Bilbo there

There are EUB's that sound and feel more like a DB - but these tend to be expensive!
My first foray into the world of DB was with a Stagg EUB, and if it's just for you,
to learn your way around a DB, and generally "play about" then a Stagg represents fantastic value
However, as Bilbo points out - an EUB is less likely to fulfill the sounds / needs of your MD

You could keep an eye on the marketplace here, and if you know a friendly experienced DB player who could look it over for you
you may end up with a great instrument, for a reasonable price....
But in my experience, DB's always seemed to come up for sale nowhere near me!

I've heard people rave about Gedo, and some of their basses look lovely :)
I'm sure Thomann are fine too - BUT, in my experience, avoid G4M !!!
A luthier set up is also highly recommended

Good luck in your search, and your new exciting journey

Edited by Marc S

Thanks chaps!

Just checked out the Gedo basses, they look nicer than the Thomann ones, would be interested to somehow compare the two!

MD doesn't mind either EUB or DB, personally I prefer the look of a traditional DB, EUB's just look incomplete to me!

One things for certain, I'm damn excited for this new journey, I've played one for a few months a few years ago and it was lovely! Be good to get back to it!

Don't forget to budget for a servicable bow with good quality hair, and a decent set of strings that are appropriate for the relative amounts of arco and pizz involved. If it's a paying gig, I'd be keen to get a sense of what the MD is expecting sound wise and tailor string choice to suit - nylon/silk core strings sound quite different from steel core ones.

I think most of us have been on that journey before and we would all change what we did in one way or other especially when it comes down to quality, set up, playability etc. And even price as we all upgrade if we stay playing and most people wish they had started sooner; I certainly do.

Whilst you think about it and take in all the great advice - I won't advise further, only to shamelessly plug I will be advertising to sell my first DB very shortly, which is a fully carved 1990's Mittenwald that has been fully set up and health-checked by Martin Penning including a new high quality bridge and Full Circle pick up, complete with bag and bow, only just above your budget (at the very best rate)!

Hides face in shame!