Why become a member? ×

The language of double bass set-ups

bassist_lewis

Hi guys, I'm looking at buying a double bass from thomann - it will be the cheapest model as I'm a beginner and have a limited budget - and they offer to set it up before shipping. However I don't know any of the language or words used to describe aspects of a double bass set-up. Is there much crossover with electric bass? I would probably be playing more pizz than arco (certainly to start with) if that makes any difference.
Thank
L

I would have to disagree. My cheaper model bass came with strings and bridge in place.

As per the constant advice on this site, I took my bass to a luthier for a set up. He told me that I needn't have bothered as Thomann had done a great job.

Just email them with the details of the strings that you want and the type of set up you require ( in my case 'rockabilly' ) and they should do the rest.

I had one of these delivered a couple of weeks ago.

When I ordered, I put in the instructions box that I wouldn't be using a bow very much and that I would like the strings nice and low. When it arrived the bridge location was nicely marked out on the body for me and the underside of the bridge had E and G on them.

The strings that came with it though really weren't for me and the tension was far too high (for me), so I got some low tension rotosounds and the bass plays beautifully now. It's all I'm using at the moment and my electric basses are sat on the sideline (I came to DB from 14 years on electric).

If I can help any more with this (where I've recently ordered and received one) I will.

James

Set up is important but not as important as you. I think that the player's technique makes much more difference to the DB sound than with bass guitar. It would be a good idea to get some lessons or at least spend some hours following [url="http://www.discoverdoublebass.com"]Geoff Chalmers'[/url] basic lessons on body, arm and finger positions. It is very easy to injure yourself or at least make it difficult to play for any length of time unless you get all this exactly right.