Why become a member? ×

Mono 2B dual bass case - disappointment

tonyclaret

Just got one of these second hand.

After years of waiting for one at the right price I finally got one...wait for it.

I didn't like it.

There is no doubting the quality. I like the padding, the one handle, he finish.

However, I found it quite bulky, weighty but most of all limited on storage. Struggled to get a class d micro head in there with a couple of leads and power supply.

Perhaps I'm asking for too much.

Might go down the single bag route now. Not sure how the other mono cases are for storage?

Up for recommendations, light as poss, one handle, adequate padding.

;-)

I find the Mono M80 a bit lacking in the storage department, compared to the Protec Contego, which is great. The Protec also has great padding, but I fear you may find it too heavy :(

When you say one handle, do you mean a side carry handle? I'm not sure I've seen a case with more (or less) than one TBH

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1445628054' post='2893025']
I find the Mono M80 a bit lacking in the storage department, compared to the Protec Contego, which is great. The Protec also has great padding, but I fear you may find it too heavy :(

When you say one handle, do you mean a side carry handle? I'm not sure I've seen a case with more (or less) than one TBH
[/quote]

I mean the main carrying handle, the Protec has the two handles that join together by a bit of Velcro strapping. Having said that in this instance it does look good value, compared to the alternatives. Could be an option.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1445628404' post='2893034']
If you want a good case with plenty of room for things other than your bass, I can recommend the Protection Racket 7051, which is very competitively priced. I wouldn't want to walk far with it on my back, though.
[/quote]
Yeah seen these, they look quite bulky though?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1445628404' post='2893034']
If you want a good case with plenty of room for things other than your bass, I can recommend the Protection Racket 7051, which is very competitively priced. I wouldn't want to walk far with it on my back, though.
[/quote]

Def - a very good case, plenty of storage. I always carry mine though, the handle is nice and padded so doesn`t make your hand hurt after carrying for a while. There is - or was - one up for grabs on here:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/271441-protection-racket-bass-gigbag-unused-as-new-condition/

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1445631497' post='2893064']

I mean the main carrying handle, the Protec has the two handles that join together by a bit of Velcro strapping. Having said that in this instance it does look good value, compared to the alternatives. Could be an option.
[/quote]

Following up on the contego, just read on TB that they don't fit Jazz basses? Unless they have changed the design recently which I don't think they have?

I gave up on the idea of a dual bass case in the end as they were just too heavy to be of practical use.

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1445624947' post='2892984']
Not sure how the other mono cases are for storage?
[/quote]

I have the m80 and the protection is great but it is quite bulky and has the same single pocket as the m80 dual bag.

I also have a vertigo for guitar and again its a really well padded bag offering excellent protection but it has a design flaw... For a bag invented so that you can use it vertically for some bizarre reason the front pocket opens on the side, so you have to the turn the bag sideways anyway to access it properly... It's ridiculous, why is it not just top access which is the entire point of the design?

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1445659653' post='2893167']

Following up on the contego, just read on TB that they don't fit Jazz basses? Unless they have changed the design recently which I don't think they have?
[/quote]

I'd be very surprised at that. My bass is wider than a Jazz and just as long, with a similar offset body and it fits in the Contego fine

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1445668004' post='2893192']

I'd be very surprised at that. My bass is wider than a Jazz and just as long, with a similar offset body and it fits in the Contego fine
[/quote]

Yeah, read a few responses and somewhere saying they he no issues so whether it was a manufacturing issue on early models. Plenty of pics on google housed with a jazz!

Having owned a Mono M80 and a Vertigo I would say if you do go down the single bag route, the vertigo is the way to go.

I sold the M80 because the limited space and if I'm entirely honest the vertigo feels more solid. With regards to the space, I can fit my Genz shuttle 9 into the front pocket with no issue.