Why become a member? ×

wireless system

Pkomor

[quote name='takethe5th' post='309028' date='Oct 18 2008, 01:22 AM'][url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/35479"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/35479[/url]

I found one and ordered it just hoping i don't get a message tomorrow saying not in yet....unless it's an old model looks the same though[/quote]

It's worth calling them up for a chat. Dolphin are good on the phone and will have a pretty accurate idea of availability.

+1 for Samson Airline, been using mine for a few years and only had to opt out back to wired at 2 gigs. Cheap, reliable and doesn't significantly colour the sound at gigging volumes. Particularly handy if you have to quickly change basses in a set.

[quote name='takethe5th' post='309028' date='Oct 18 2008, 01:22 AM'][url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/35479"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/35479[/url]

I found one and ordered it just hoping i don't get a message tomorrow saying not in yet....unless it's an old model looks the same though[/quote]

Looking at the 7-10 day delivery time i would say its not in stock yet.

Godd luck and let us know.

I think these are out this/next week?

I have a tendency to walk/dance/hop round in circles (in the same direction) when I'm playing which always led to a twisted cable. I kept trying to compensate by going the other way when I remembered to but it never seemed to work so I've recently bought a Sennheiser freePort for £109 from iMuso to give me a bit more freedom.

It's UHF, multi channel and has diversity which are the three things I wanted and so far no problems - I can go for a little wander whenever I feel that way inclined :)

I recently purchased the AKG WMS40 Flexx wireless system. Works amazing with my bass system. I cant hear any difference in quality from the unit and my high quality cable especially live. It is great for bass as well because it caters for the very low frequencies which most wireless systems dont.

Nice small body pack too, not intrusive at all which is nice on stage.

Cost about £150 which I thought was a bargain for the quality!! :)

[quote name='takethe5th' post='308933' date='Oct 17 2008, 08:40 PM']I onlt asked because these things get updated all the time and wanted to get feedback on how you get on with them.
Probobly going to get this one

[url="http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=PA00005"]http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=PA00005[/url][/quote]

Thats the one i use with one of my bands. over 100 gigs and its not let me down yet. Sound wise i could hear a slight difference at home using headphones but as im happy with the sound i get at gigs ive never A/B'ed it with a lead. No point IME.

Only downside is the fixed freq but so far ive only clashed once and that was with a compare at one gig.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

with the last run of gigs I have done with the John Otway band, I have repeatedly found one or both of our guitarists standing on my F***ing lead every time I wanted to move so I have splashed out on an Ashdown Freebass unit.

I tried it for the first time at the Robin2 in Bilston. :-)

Crap.

There is a very noticeable noise wash underneath everything making it unusable for live performance. I have subsequently tried it on another amp with different leads in another venue with the same result.

The shop have taken it back and tested it and comfirmed the noise, but say that it is on all of the systems they have and so have refunded my money.

This is so disappointing. I am one of those here that love the Ashdown sound. My 500 EVO II rig has never let me down and I had high hopes for this.

Back to the drawing board.

I think a big spike on the neck of my bass to remind the guitarists there is someone behind them!!

Cheers,

SeymourFluid

[quote name='darwin' post='312165' date='Oct 22 2008, 02:05 PM']I have a tendency to walk/dance/hop round in circles (in the same direction) when I'm playing which always led to a twisted cable. I kept trying to compensate by going the other way when I remembered to but it never seemed to work so I've recently bought a Sennheiser freePort for £109 from iMuso to give me a bit more freedom.

It's UHF, multi channel and has diversity which are the three things I wanted and so far no problems - I can go for a little wander whenever I feel that way inclined :)[/quote]

+1 for the Freeport, although it's cheap and cheerful compared to the EW172, I've had mine for a couple of years and never had problems. Four frequencies to pick from, and I've never had interference problems. There's a slight tone loss, but nothing that you or an audience will notice in a live band setting. For the price, they're ace. I know somebody who paid £220 for one and was happy with it, so the iMuso price is a winner.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='seymourfluid' post='352086' date='Dec 11 2008, 07:38 PM']Hi,

with the last run of gigs I have done with the John Otway band, I have repeatedly found one or both of our guitarists standing on my F***ing lead every time I wanted to move so I have splashed out on an Ashdown Freebass unit.

I tried it for the first time at the Robin2 in Bilston. :-)

Crap.

There is a very noticeable noise wash underneath everything making it unusable for live performance. I have subsequently tried it on another amp with different leads in another venue with the same result.

The shop have taken it back and tested it and comfirmed the noise, but say that it is on all of the systems they have and so have refunded my money.

This is so disappointing. I am one of those here that love the Ashdown sound. My 500 EVO II rig has never let me down and I had high hopes for this.

Back to the drawing board.

I think a big spike on the neck of my bass to remind the guitarists there is someone behind them!!

Cheers,

SeymourFluid[/quote]

Hmm, Ive had a Freebass unit about a week(waited weeks!) and have been mightily impressed to be honest, well worth all the wait. I have owned serveral wireless systems this is the 1st one that I couldnt hear the difference between wired & wireless!!!, it was easy to set up and looks well made to me, very high quality finish & packaging. A lot of thought has been put into making this system, the modeller switch gives 16 great new sounds, no gimicks, and I suppose my main point is that mine has very little background noise so unless you were unlucky enough to have a dodgy one I dont understand whats causing the issues for you, are you using an active bass?

I just bought one of the AKG Bug units and have only tried it at home so far. Gig on NY Eve so I'm looking forward to using it then.

On my P bass, I have had to turn the actual Bug volume screw all the way down or I get the red clipping light come on, so those PUPs must be pumping it out

My only criticism so far is that it does flap about a bit if I get a bit boisterous (oo~err). The careful application of a bit of Blutack does the job though. No one else in the band has wireless so I should be fine.

My two reasons for getting one were 1. Pissed off with getting in a tangle with my cables. 2. Had a few too many 'tickles' when touching the mic and bass at the same time. I don't like all that electrickery.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update,

I ended up going for the Ashdown freebass, and as was mentioned earlier there was a high pitched noise, but other than that it was excellent, so i replaced the (cheap) cable that it came with, with a quality one from Obbm, and the unit is almost totally noiseless.
I have been using it for almost a month and have had no problems whatsoever so far!

Edited by Pkomor

[quote name='Pkomor' post='383214' date='Jan 17 2009, 01:31 PM']Just to update,

I ended up going for the Ashdown freebass, and as was mentioned earlier there was a high pitched noise, but other than that it was excellent, so i replaced the (cheap) cable that it came with, with a quality one from Obbm, and the unit is almost totally noiseless.
I have been using it for almost a month and have had no problems whatsoever so far![/quote]

Do you use the effects and if so are they good?

[quote name='Pkomor' post='383616' date='Jan 17 2009, 10:29 PM']I havnt used it with effects yet, but I can try it, I have a fx25 filter and a multifx, i'll give it a go and report back![/quote]

Oh sorry, I mean the modeling and things that come with the unit ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='383819' date='Jan 18 2009, 11:11 AM']Oh sorry, I mean the modeling and things that come with the unit ...[/quote]

Ahh yeah, the other thing i forgot to mention was that certain 'models' have more of that high pitched noise than others...

The bypass setting (position 1) seems to leave my stingray slightly lacking in really low bottom end frequencys (like the ones you feel not hear), and that slight hissing noise is ever so slightly audible (completely irrelevant when playing with a group..). To combat this I usually set the rotary switch to position 9 ("rock") which seems to seems to do nothing other than restore that lost 'sub'bottom end and remove the (ever so) slight hiss.

The 'rock' setting does not give a particularly rock sound, i use it for bigband jazz and funk on this setting too...
the other settings are all usable, but are nothing that cant be achieved by EQing - they are more like a group of pre-set EQs.

the battery life is not outstanding, but perfectly adequate, I have done a 2.5 hour rehersal and a 30 minute gig on the same set of batteries, but as the transmitter takes AAs i just have a couple of rechargeable ones which i interchange when needed.

The transmitter also has a handy mute function which I didn't know about before i got it!

All in all it is an outstanding little unit for the price, and once the cable has been replaced with a quality one, i cant fault it.

[quote name='Pkomor' post='384078' date='Jan 18 2009, 03:41 PM']Ahh yeah, the other thing i forgot to mention was that certain 'models' have more of that high pitched noise than others...

The bypass setting (position 1) seems to leave my stingray slightly lacking in really low bottom end frequencys (like the ones you feel not hear), and that slight hissing noise is ever so slightly audible (completely irrelevant when playing with a group..). To combat this I usually set the rotary switch to position 9 ("rock") which seems to seems to do nothing other than restore that lost 'sub'bottom end and remove the (ever so) slight hiss.

The 'rock' setting does not give a particularly rock sound, i use it for bigband jazz and funk on this setting too...
the other settings are all usable, but are nothing that cant be achieved by EQing - they are more like a group of pre-set EQs.

the battery life is not outstanding, but perfectly adequate, I have done a 2.5 hour rehersal and a 30 minute gig on the same set of batteries, but as the transmitter takes AAs i just have a couple of rechargeable ones which i interchange when needed.

The transmitter also has a handy mute function which I didn't know about before i got it!

All in all it is an outstanding little unit for the price, and once the cable has been replaced with a quality one, i cant fault it.[/quote]

Ta

I used the AKG bug I got from PMT at the gig last night, flawless performance all night with no drop outs or background noise once I put the receiver on my pedal board instead of sitting it on top of the amp, it's fantastic not having to look down before you move to make sure you aren't going to unplug yourself lol or go barreling arse over tit

• 1 month later...

I've had the FreeBass system for about four weeks but am gonna have to take it back today because it keeps losing signal and has become totally unreliable.
Very disappointing! The sound quality is superb, when it works.
Having contacted Ashdown it sounds like a fault with the transmitter or lead.
The lead is a very thin poor quality lead with a terrible moulded plug on it. Not what you expect for an Ashdown product.

The build quality of the unit is very plasticy. A real shame, I had such high hopes for this product.

Returned the FreeBass for a refund. Didn't feel confident with the product to exchange it for another.
Feel drawn towards the AKG WMS 40 PRO INSTRUMENTAL SET FLEXX tho' not sure what's the difference between that and the PRO INSTRUMENTAL SET SINGLE?

In the short term, bought a long lead!