Why become a member? ×

wireless system

Pkomor

I'm after a wireless system for my bass.
I would like something that;

- has a fairly decent range
- does not lose signal quality
- does not eat batteries for breakfast

- is Cheap!!

i like the look of the samson stage 5 system, but reviews say they go through batteries like anything..
so, any ideas for a decent wireless system in the £50-£80 sort of pricerange?

Edited by Pkomor

[quote name='Pkomor' post='279546' date='Sep 8 2008, 10:41 AM']I'm after a wireless system for my bass.
I would like something that;

- has a fairly decent range
- does not lose signal quality
- does not eat batteries for breakfast

- is Cheap!!

i like the look of the samson stage 5 system, but reviews say they go through batteries like anything..
so, any ideas for a decent wireless system in the £50-£80 sort of pricerange?[/quote]

Ive been using a AKG guitar bug for the past 2 years without any problems at all. I paid £99 for it, not sure of the price now as it was a special price that Sound control were doing.
I get through about two - three gigs on one battery. I use a high powered rechargeable AAA.
Its got an ok range and ive been able ot go to the back of all our gigs at soundcheck without any signal loss.
The only downside (for me) is that its only got one freq so if you do happen to clash with, say a DJ or another band it can be a pain.
I use a slightly better AKG system with my other band as that's got selectable freq's but that cost me just under £200.

You wont find anything in your price range (or even double and more) that wont effect tone but its not as bad as some people make out IME and certainly usable. There will be slight differences between cable and wireless but i dont think most people would notice it once the band starts playing. Ive even recorded with mine as i like what it adds to the tone.

although the guitar bug looks good, its a bit too pricey!

does anyone have any opinions on any of these?

[url="http://www.dv247.com/invt/37443/product.htm?gdftrk=gdfV2356_a_7c416_a_7c1181_a_7c37443"]Audio technica[/url]

[url="http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=PA00220"]Akg[/url]

[url="http://www.themusicking.co.uk/nady-encore-1-wireless-guitar-bass-system"]Nady[/url]

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=6999"]Audio technica again![/url]

i have the nady, and it's great!
never had any problems with it, and it sounds as good as a cable.
the main problem i've had in the past with the other wirelesses on the market is either bass loss or what seems like an over compressed sound.
the nady has a control on the rear enabling you to restore bottom end and even boost it making it my default choice over other more expensive systems - I've used systems from Sennheiser (not freeport!), Audio technica, and AKG (although the audio technica comes a close second!)
hope this helps!

Thomann do a series of UHF ones with different sets of switchable frequencies.
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_ews_16gt.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_ews_16gt.htm[/url]

Single channe things can mean you can't use it at some gigs, say if the DJ or house has a mic on the same frequency. Switchable stuff allows at least some get out of trouble options.

You should probably read this thread first too. It's about what is legal and what is not...
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=10362&hl=wireless"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=wireless[/url]

Personally, having used various cheaper systems, including the bug, I'd recommend saving up for a better system like the Shure or Sennheiser EW172 ones.

I saw the t.bone ones on thomann, but i assumed that one by a well known manufacturer (such as akg/nady) would perform better.

I have also seen that guide already, and checked if these systems are a) legal, and b ) switchable

Thanks for the replys, keep em coming!

Edited by Pkomor

I've got the Samson Bass Airline.

It's okay. Sound is very nice, same as with a cable. Range is enough (really, how much will you need on a stage) but it sometimes cuts out for a split second if there's lots of things in the way. I got it for like 200 euro (it's probably cheaper now) and isn't true diversity - one time, the guitarist wanted to use a wireless too and there was interference (since neither were true diversity).

But good and cheap are two things that almost never combine in wireless systems.

I use an elderly Nady 201, which I've A/Bed with a straight lead and found a very slight difference in sound but I couldn't actually say which was which. They (and the single-aerial 101) turn up now and then on ebay and the second-hand sites. I did discover a weakness - the lead from the power supply can break internally where it enters the jack plug. Solution - solder on a replacement jack plug.

Edit: oh, and the jack socket on the receiver cracked a little while ago (it's about 20 years old, I think it'd allowed little things like that now and again). Replaced it with a bog standard mono jack from Maplin at a cost of ten bob or so.

Edited by tauzero

[quote name='Pkomor' post='280201' date='Sep 9 2008, 11:32 AM']I saw the t.bone ones on thomann, but i assumed that one by a well known manufacturer (such as akg/nady) would perform better.[/quote]

I only have experience of these cheapies from Thomman. After a couple of shocks on stage I got one as a stopgap till I could afford something with a better reputation (samson akg etc). A few paycheques later and I still haven't upgraded as it works fine. yeah it changes the tone slightly, but the amp takes care of that. There's a small hiss, but the noisegate on the alesis 3630 i got from warwickhunt sorts that out (it's too faint to hear when i'm playing, I'd say it's about as noisy as my Zoom506II) Never had a signal dropout - furthest i've been is 80m from the stage. 16 chanels, not that i've needed to change (there's been no crosstalk whatsoever) but it's nice to know it's there. Until I get to try the high end stuff I'm gonna put my neck out and recommend one. :)

[quote name='Pkomor' post='284466' date='Sep 15 2008, 08:25 PM']so the t.bone one handles the low e/drop d ok?[/quote]
Nope, that's the tone change I was talking about. I just turn the bass knob on the amp up about 1/8th of a turn to compensate. with this it handles the B on my 5-string happily.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope you don't mind me crashing the party but i googled 'wireless bass reviews' and found you lot.
I want to buy one of these for my hubbys birthday pressie he plays a fender jazz bass please help me choose which one....i am getting really confused and don't want to end up giving him a sh*t present that doesn't work.

You guys hopefully can advise :wub:

[quote name='takethe5th' post='308277' date='Oct 16 2008, 11:48 PM']Hope you don't mind me crashing the party but i googled 'wireless bass reviews' and found you lot.
I want to buy one of these for my hubbys birthday pressie he plays a fender jazz bass please help me choose which one....i am getting really confused and don't want to end up giving him a sh*t present that doesn't work.

You guys hopefully can advise :wub:[/quote]

What's your budget? OK ones run around £50-100, seriously better ones about £350 professional up from there.
Does he play in a band full of other wireless systems like mics, other guitarists etc?
Does he know you are doing this?
Has he expresses a preference for make?

If you can tell us that stuff we can help you decide

Yes he is in a band heard him talking about getting one to one of his band mates .Nobody else in the band has got one yet but the lead guitarist says he has been in a shop and asked for advise but the assistant couldn't be bothered to talk to him about it.
Dont mind paying up to 150 ,
Hope this helps btw he is getting a new fender presision in a few weeks so would like one to fit both understand some of the bug type ones fit different guitars.
Ps i think he is hoping i will get one for him

I've been using a Samson Airline for 8 years and only had interference once from a cab company's transmitter. Have played with other members of the band using wireless (2 guitarists, singer, sax player) no problems at all and hardly any tonal difference from using George Ls cables. Live this difference is inaudible.

[quote name='takethe5th' post='308311' date='Oct 17 2008, 01:08 AM']Yes he is in a band heard him talking about getting one to one of his band mates .Nobody else in the band has got one yet but the lead guitarist says he has been in a shop and asked for advise but the assistant couldn't be bothered to talk to him about it.
Dont mind paying up to 150 ,
Hope this helps btw he is getting a new fender presision in a few weeks so would like one to fit both understand some of the bug type ones fit different guitars.
Ps i think he is hoping i will get one for him[/quote]

Great Avatar! :)

So .. have a read through this thread from the top as the orginal poster seems to be looking for the same info ...
That should give you a fair amount of info.
Then ask any more questions .. OK?

Also try the search function on the forum (top right) as this has been covered quite a lot.

[quote name='takethe5th' post='308935' date='Oct 17 2008, 09:42 PM']Also liked this one also reminds me of the one that the bass player in Alabama 3 had.

[url="http://www.giggear.co.uk/p/Ashdown-FreeBass/"]http://www.giggear.co.uk/p/Ashdown-FreeBass/[/url]

Shame i can't find it available anywhere yet[/quote]

Yeah in theory the Ashdown unit should be a lot better but I don't think any one's had a go on one yet.

The most important (but certainly not the only) difference between those is that the first one (the "bug") has only one frequency. That's fine if you are the only one with a wireless in the band (or vcenu - think PA systems and DJ's etc) but a switchable multi frequency one gives more flexibility so that if his band mates suddenly see the light and want wirelesses it's easier to use frequencies that don't interfere with each other. In my band we have 6 wireless systems in action ...

That can get a tad tricky with single frequency units as shop people can't always tell you what frequency yours is or the ones they are selling.
I'd suggest getting a multi frequency one for that single reason. The AKG is a good make (though personally I had problems with a bug style wireless)

Give him a picture of the Ashdown and an IOU and wait 'til they are available :)
Or you can say sod 'em and get the single frequency one that you can actually buy now and leave it them to work it out later ....