Why become a member? ×

Jazz neck, with a kicker!

allighatt0r

I think I know the answer already, but in case there is something I haven't thought of... Is there any way of sorting out a neck that seems to have a curve to it from about the 12th fret up? The truss rod tightens and loosens, and seems to work OK, but not so much up the body end.

If it's not going to be worth the effort, which is sort of what I'm expecting, can anyone give a recommendation for a half decent neck supplier? possibly on ebay? It's a 19 fret rosewood dot board on a 1990 squier Jazz.

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1445797782' post='2894304']
Could be more than a new neck judging by eBay prices! :P
[/quote]

This could well be the case :( DIY is possible but this requires tools, at the very least a flat file / stone and detail sanding stick.

A good place to start, and a cheap solution if it works, is to add a small shim to the front of the neck pocket. A business card or similar should do it.

I'm guessing at the moment the curve is up and the top of the neck, so a shim will flatten that out, so you might need less truss rod compensation then too - which would make the action more playable.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1445880772' post='2895014']
A good place to start, and a cheap solution if it works, is to add a small shim to the front of the neck pocket. A business card or similar should do it.

I'm guessing at the moment the curve is up and the top of the neck, so a shim will flatten that out, so you might need less truss rod compensation then too - which would make the action more playable.
[/quote]

I've given that a go, and it makes it a bit more playable, but action upwords of the 7th fret was terrible.

I think I might end up trying one of these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-20-FRET-ELECTRIC-BASS-NECK-SKUNK-STRIPE-J-MODEL-MAPLE-ROSE-FB-/231671994275

There would need to be a lot wrong for that eBay neck to be not worth the money, Bryan! If it was a fender neck, it would be worth paying a similar cost to try to fix it, but if it was me, I'd risk a punt on a new one at that price - you occasionally get a bummer, but most of the time they are very good!

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1446162081' post='2897486']
id go for a mighty mite neck personally, probably only 20 quid more but you know it should fit or alternatively find a squire jazz neck 2nd hand.
[/quote]

Yes, I've seen a few Squier necks for sale at reasonable cost recently
Bought myself one a little while back, and it was great. Something along the lines of a Classic Vibe neck
There was a Mex Fender P neck (with J dimensions) on ebay a day or 2 back....

Good luck & let us know how you get on

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...