Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 VTB500 / Warwick LWA 500

Light Grenade

Hi folks,

This is my first post on Basschat after browsing these forums for years, I thought it was time to get involved.

I'm in the market for a small bass head at 500W. I've tried all the available models in my closest cities (Edinburgh & Glasgow) which include: Ampeg PF-500, Ashdown RM-Mag 420, Mark Bass Little Mark III and Mark Bass Tube 500. I was pretty sold on the Mark Bass Tube 500, until I stumbled across both the Tech 21 and Warwick heads on Thomann.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has any info on either of the amps in the title? I've done some googling but any available info seems to be pretty sparse. I know the Tech 21 is essentially modeled on the Ampeg SVT stuff, but that's about all I know. Aside from that, if anyone can recommend any other 500W small form factor bass heads, that would be ideal. 

My budget is £500.

Cheers

Edited by Light Grenade

Very subjective, I`ve not had the Warwick or Ashdown, had the others, all good amps. The Tech21 VT is very Ampeggy, as is of course the PF500 (doesn`t do much on the way of gain though, and there have been some iffy PF500s around). Both Markbass amps are nice, work really well with a Precision. The Tube one doesn`t seem to do that much different, just puts a shimmer on the sound but it is a nice shimmer.

All that said, the amp I use now is obviously my fave, otherwise I`d have kept the others - the Aguilar Tonehammer 500. Excellent amps and do the Ampeg vibe very well but in a more modern type of way. I love the Ampeg sound, but have to admit that I prefer the Aggies. Very reliable, and very powerful too, plus incredibly lightweight. There`s one up for grabs here - nowt to do with me btw, just saw it earlier:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/271973-aguilar-th500-and-bag-sale-to-fund-new-toys-oops-pics/

Thanks the reply.

That was my main worry with the Tech 21, that I'd be stuck with that Ampeg sound - I do like it (especially the drive), but not for all applications. I'd probably consider investing in the VT Bass DI so I had the option. I've played through the Aggie TH350 and I really really liked it, but for the setup I use and the type of band I play in, I feel the lows work a lot better for me on the Mark Bass stuff, the mid response on the Aggie was especially lovely though. I also had a look at the Big Bang, but I'm guessing that's essentially a Little Mark with an extra headphone/aux port? The Warwick seems completely anonymous, no info to be found aside from a bog standard NAMM overview on YouTube.

It's such a bloody minefield - I really wish I could go try all these amps before purchase but the selection up here is pretty guff. I'm planning on re-thinking/downsizing my cab setup soon as well, which will obviously be another brain sore.

Edited by Light Grenade

If your budget is £500, you won't get a Warwick LWA unless second hand and they seem to be like hen's teeth! There was a review for it and the cabs in Bass Guitar Magazine earlier this year/late last year but like most of the reviews there are rarely any issues mentioned.

Warwick are doing a half size LWA, the 250 but it does not seem to be on the shelves yet. Ditto Markbass with the Nano and circa £300 I think. Remember a 500 watt head is not twice as loud as a 250/300 watt one...!

Be careful with the resale values of Warwick amps, they never seem to hold their value.

The other stuff mentioned - especially the Aggie stuff - seems to be very easy to sell on if you don't get on with them.........just something to consider if you aren't sure you'll like the sound.

The Warwick LWA500 must have only just been released - I saw the launch videos ages ago but haven't seen a single one in stock anywhere & have been checking Thomann on a monthly basis. If they produce a similar tone to older Warwick amps I think they'll be very different to the Tech-21; the Tech-21 is good if you're into that faux-ampeg tone that their pedals do well where as the Warwick amps that I've played through very much more towards the clean & full end of the spectrum.

It's only an extra £75 over your budget to get the LWA1000 which would give you plenty of headroom & it looks beautiful (though is of course a fair bit bigger).

I think I've ruled the Tech 21 out of the running. I was just curious if there was anyway it could be tweaked in order to not sound like an Ampeg, I don't want to be trapped with that sound so I'm guessing the pedal route seems like a more sensible option in order to achieve that drive.

The Warwick LWA1000 looks absolutely stunning, the size isn't a huge issue as there's still a carry case available for it - as long it can be carried, it's fine. Clean and full is exactly what I'm looking for, I'll model any other desirable sounds from my pedal setup. I play flats (D'Addario Chromes) so I need something with a good bit of punch to bring out the string sound. I guess that's why Ashdown heads don't agree with me, I can never get any string definition from their heads, totally woolly/overly subby.

The LW1000 is totally tempting due to the enhanced headroom, but I've already ventured £200 over my budget ha, I guess an extra £75 won't hurt?

[quote name='Light Grenade' timestamp='1445945425' post='2895560']
I think I've ruled the Tech 21 out of the running. I was just curious if there was anyway it could be tweaked in order to not sound like an Ampeg, I don't want to be trapped with that sound so I'm guessing the pedal route seems like a more sensible option in order to achieve that drive.
[/quote]

Simple answer is Yes. Essentially the Tech 21 is a Sansamp bass driver and power amp in 1 box Play with the Character control and well it changes the character of the amp.

The Tech21 has a blend knob, set to the left the EQ will be active but without the amp modelling (or sansansamp!). Then you will have a pretty clean amp that you can then flavour with your choice of preamp pedal if you like.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1445949748' post='2895601']
Simple answer is Yes. Essentially the Tech 21 is a Sansamp bass driver and power amp in 1 box Play with the Character control and well it changes the character of the amp.
[/quote]

Not to spam but this is incorrect. The amp is not a Bass Driver attached to a power amp. It's a 500 watt amp with a newly designed preamp based on our VT Bass products that can be run totally clean if you're into that "hi-fi" bass tone or it can emulate a vintage tube amp. Even when using the tube emulation the amp is capable of clean tones.

There are a lot of choices out there and we always recommend you try before you buy if possible.

Here are a couple of recent videos of the VT Bass 500:

[url="https://youtu.be/aeus-kMK4qs"]https://youtu.be/aeus-kMK4qs[/url]
[url="https://youtu.be/iDtTWGwWMj8"]https://youtu.be/iDtTWGwWMj8[/url]

[quote name='Tech21NYC' timestamp='1445954337' post='2895666']
Not to spam but this is incorrect. The amp is not a Bass Driver attached to a power amp. It's a 500 watt amp with a newly designed preamp based on our VT Bass products that can be run totally clean if you're into that "hi-fi" bass tone or it can emulate a vintage tube amp. Even when using the tube emulation the amp is capable of clean tones.

There are a lot of choices out there and we always recommend you try before you buy if possible.

Here are a couple of recent videos of the VT Bass 500:

[url="https://youtu.be/aeus-kMK4qs"]https://youtu.be/aeus-kMK4qs[/url]
[url="https://youtu.be/iDtTWGwWMj8"]https://youtu.be/iDtTWGwWMj8[/url]
[/quote]
Sorry for the bum steer.

The LW1000 is totally tempting due to the enhanced headroom, but I've already ventured £200 over my budget ha, I guess an extra £75 won't hurt?
[/quote]

The never-ending story of life; they always pull you in with what's available if you stretch your budget a little. Don't over stretch yourself too much though; you don't want to spend all your money, have a big bill come in then end up having to sell your new amp to pay for it!

I've never been able to get on with Ashdown amps either (though I've never tried their fancy looking all tube amps). I know if my [Warwick] amp went up in smoke next time I turn it on, I'd be straight on to the web to Thomann for an LWA1000 (though the 500 is quite tempting given the price actually, I could then keep the 500 as a light traveling head, then use the spare money to save towards a massive full-tube head hmmm....).

The Warwick LWA1000 looks absolutely stunning, the size isn't a huge issue as there's still a carry case available for it - as long it can be carried, it's fine. Clean and full is exactly what I'm looking for, I'll model any other desirable sounds from my pedal setup. I play flats (D'Addario Chromes) so I need something with a good bit of punch to bring out the string sound. I guess that's why Ashdown heads don't agree with me, I can never get any string definition from their heads, totally woolly/overly subby.

[/quote]

Yes, sorry, the LWA 500 is the half size model to the LWA 1000 and will give you 250 watts into an 8 ohm cab. My mistake! Not seen any reviews yet but they say the LWA1000 sounds quite markbassish...

Edited by yorks5stringer

I'm a big fan of the VT Bass stuff and have used most of the various models. I've not tried the VT bass 500. but I'm sure its great.

The Warwick LWA 1000 I reviewed for BGM. Paired with the Warwick cabs It is very warm and very clean. I would agree with the previous post - it is quite Markbassish. Here's what I wrote:

http://www.bassguitarmagazine.com/tests/warwick-lwa-1000/

Thanks for all the info so far.

I was an 'Ashdown MAG300 EVO II' head I had before hand. It really didn't agree with me, and neither has any Ashdown stuff that i've played through. Don't get me wrong, I still think they are great amps - I've seen a wealth of bass players achieve a great sound from them. They're just not for me, far too woolly.

I'm really interested in the Warwick LWA series after hearing what you guys are saying about it. As I said, I felt the Mark Bass tone suited my setup a lot better than anything else, and if the Warwick is similar to that, it's definitely a contender. I just wish I could get my hands on one to play through, some serious thinking required. It does look stunning, which is the most important thing, right?

The LWA 1000 is incredibly tempting, extra headroom can never go a miss. Pretty sure I've broken it down to Mark Bass LM and the Warwick LWA - I've even considered ordering both, comparing them at rehearsal one night, and then sending one back. That's a bit of a mad hassle though.

[quote name='Light Grenade' timestamp='1446029602' post='2896256']
I was an 'Ashdown MAG300 EVO II' head I had before hand. It really didn't agree with me, and neither has any Ashdown stuff that i've played through. Don't get me wrong, I still think they are great amps - I've seen a wealth of bass players achieve a great sound from them. They're just not for me, far too woolly.
[/quote]

Not sure where you (and lots of other people, by the way) get this 'Ashdown amps are woolly' thing from. My ABM is capable of great heft, punch and clarity. The Shape button has to be IN before the EQ comes alive (It gives a very scooped sound in its default [OUT] state) and you also have to have the input gain WAY up before the EQ and Drive will work. But hey, if it's not for you, it's not for you. :)

Interestingly, this thread has given me huge GAS, not for the Warwick amps but for a Tech-21 VT500... however, going by what Lozz has said and the fact that I rate his opinion very highly on this and other matters, the GAS is being channelled into an Aguilar TH350... where will it all end, I ask myself?? Probably a G-K MB500, that's where. :lol: I've owned an MB200 and an MB500 Fusion and they were both very large-sounding amps with huge uncompressed lows and very punchy. I regret selling both!! :rolleyes:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1446030177' post='2896270']
Not sure where you (and lots of other people, by the way) get this 'Ashdown amps are woolly' thing from.
[/quote]

I don't know what it was man, I just couldn't achieve that string definition I was looking for. I play flats as well, which potentially made it even tougher. I'm the first to admit that I probably didn't spend as much time with it as I should of, I'm used to be criminally lazy with bass. But yeah, I don't think it was for me.

The TH350 is an amazing little amp, the mid response is so lovely and smooth and it's literally not much heavier that a DVD case. The Tone Hammer series was my original choice before doing some in depth research and testing.

[quote name='Light Grenade' timestamp='1446031452' post='2896284']
The TH350 is an amazing little amp, the mid response is so lovely and smooth and it's literally not much heavier that a DVD case. The Tone Hammer series was my original choice before doing some in depth research and testing.
[/quote]

The mids really are where it's at in a band setting.
Admit I've been intrigued by the THs for some time now. I must do something about it.

Edited by discreet

I'll have a gander at the Tecamp stuff, I've not heard of them up until now.

Does anyone know anything about the Mark Bass Big Bang? Is there any difference in tone, or is it essentially the same as the LM III with the additional features of the headphone & aux inputs? Smaller footprint is always a plus point.

Edited by Light Grenade

I used Markbass LM amps a while back and though I liked them a lot, I thought they lacked character. I found I needed a preamp or soundshaper (SansAmp et al) to really warm them up and get them singing. Not that there's anything wrong with doing this - you can keep the amp and change your preamp if you want to experiment with your tone. Cheaper that way, too... in fact for a while I had a Crown power amp and used a succession of preamps and FX with it with varying results... got through most of the Zoom bass gear, a lot of Tech-21 and other stuff... interesting, but in the end came to prefer the simplicity of finding an amp I liked the sound of and plugging straight into it without bothering with any other bits and pieces. I'm happy with what I have now, but there's nothing wrong with trying other gear, of course... ;)

Edited by discreet