Why become a member? ×

Invapay...?

iamtheelvy

Hey guys,
Anyone heard of or had experience of Invapay (http://www.invapay.com/)? My band have just come up against a venue that insist on using this as their method of payment, but looking into it you'd be singing up to pages and pages of Terms and Conditions including fees and VAT payments etc etc...

We've never had an issue with cash in hand, or bank/paypal transfers before, but this seems to assume that we're set up as a business! To make it clear, the money we make from gigs barely, if ever covers the cost of rehearsals, equipment, fuel etc, so this is not our living, but we don't want to be losing additional money!

Being brought in by Greene King , across the board .

There's info on what people think on the FB group - "Gigs for musicians to avoid" - just scroll down and you'll find it .

A local GK venue to us is bringing it in from next year , and to be honest , no one want to be the one who gives out their info .

I agree , if I was doing function work again , I'd be above board , but not for one pub gig a month , I do now (£45 in my hand)

We're seriously considering binning our gigs there for next year - bollocks to 'em

Well the pub in question never told us , it was in for this last weekend we played there - only found out when we asked .
As far as they told us , it was from next year . Luckily they'd had an issue with the set up , so cash in hand .

Any band playing there would be non the wiser , until they went to get the cash at 2am , to be told - "sorry , no cash . We require a full name , address , Email address , and Tel number . You then get an Email to a link , and do it all there" .

They'll e a few annoyed bands I reckon , as that particular pub weren't for warning anyone !!

I suppose many landlords were pocketing some of the budget - good for the brewery , but not for the bands .

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1446123419' post='2897067']
Being brought in by Greene King , across the board .

There's info on what people think on the FB group - "Gigs for musicians to avoid" - just scroll down and you'll find it .

A local GK venue to us is bringing it in from next year , and to be honest , no one want to be the one who gives out their info .

I agree , if I was doing function work again , I'd be above board , but not for one pub gig a month , I do now (£45 in my hand)

We're seriously considering binning our gigs there for next year - bollocks to 'em
[/quote]

Which what most bands will do...

I can see both sides to it... but for possibly £200 p.a gross..??

Wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole - it's way too much additional work for unspectacular money....I had a similar gripe with Mecca and THF back in the stone age....these large organisations seem to think that they are doing you a favour, whilst attempting to pay peanuts. I declined further work......

:)

Well, we've had confirmation that the pub is going to pay us slightly extra to cover the additional charges the system makes for the transaction to go through, so that's ok, but it's still an enormous hassle to go through for not very much money...

Yup, all the GK pubs here are doing it. Ball ache. A few of the GK pubs have refused, but not many. Guys have to normally wait a few days to get paid. A few hiccups have left me a month with no dough from a gig. You end up paying the £3 cost of processing the payment. If the moneys going into your bank account make sure you get an invoice from the others before you pay them.

Its not the end of the world, just another hoop.

We've already binned a gig in Redhill that tried to get us on to this system.

Apparently the brewery found a lot of their landlords were invoicing for gigs that hadn't happened, a pocketing the cash.

This system is to control their dodgy pub managers and landlords and the bands are getting caught in the crossfire.

• 3 months later...

I can see why something like this is becoming necessary, especially if a large company's franchisees have a history of fiddling the books to pay bands but I'm glad to have avoided it so far. One band I was in formed ourselves into a partnership because we were making quite a bit and it was easy to write all income off as a loss come the year's end. The tax return was pretty easy, too.

• 6 months later...

Just to reanimate this thread, we're playing a gig on sunday that uses this system. Ive set up an account on Invapay with my bank details etc, now what?
Does the pub manager pay into it? I spoke to her today but couldn't really understand her. So far theres been no activity on my account.

Skidder. You will recieve and email link when the cash is ready. Click the link and confirm acceptance. £££ will be in your bank in a few days. I got £5 more than our gig fee so they did cover admin fees. Not a system I like but it was hassle free in practice. Bonus - we have return bookings.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We had a gig booked at a new Greene King venue in Aberdeen for tonight. It was booked in mid-October, and they advised us that we'd need to be set up on Invapay.

No problem, we thought, plenty time for that.

There has followed two months of utter fannying about, with many instances of us being told that we'd receive an email "in the next two hours" to get us set up. The General Manager wasn't available, the Assistant Manager was horrified that it hadn't been done yet, the Duty Manager couldn't help, etc etc etc. This has gone on for weeks.

The guy that booked us, who works as a manager at another nearby hotel, turned out to be absolutely hopeless. He's messaged the GM, he's texted the GM, he's waiting for a call back from the GM. He needs posters in JPG format. He needs the posters again in JPG format. Did he print them and put them up at the venue at least? No, but he emailed the JPG to the venue. Is he getting paid for this rank-rotten job he's doing? Yes, he's getting paid separately as a "promoter".

Anyhow, it's now approaching mid-day on the day of the gig and, despite promise after promise, we're still not set up on Invapay. So the gig's getting pulled by us at the last minute - really annoying, because we had plenty other options for gigs tonight that we turned down for this one.

It's beyond me why you can't just go and register on Invapay as a supplier. You need to be invited, and if the people at the other end are incompetent then you've no chance.

So ... if anyone gets offered a gig at DYCE FARM in Aberdeen, or is approached by a bloke called Christopher Plant, my advice is to avoid having anything to do with them unless you're already registered on Invapay.

Rant over. :)

Edited by HengistPod

• 1 year later...

Played quite a few gigs for GK pubs int he last year or so, all paid via Invapay. No problems except one where the LL was sacked on the night of the gig - once I found the replacement, we were paid straight away. The small fee (usually about £3.00) is insignificant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1