Why become a member? ×

Good MIDI Drum Tracks

adamg67

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could recommend sources for good free MIDI drum tracks / loops? I'd definitely prefer MIDI as I want to tweak them and learn from them rather than just use them as they are. I'm looking mainly for blues, rock & funk beats but I fancy trying other influences as well.

I'm guessing quite a few people have been through the same search so thought it was worth asking here. I much prefer playing bass along to some beats to get ideas going.

I have had a search on here but I'm getting too many results about other things to find anything.

TIA!

Here's one source ...

[url="http://mididrumfiles.com/product/free-midi-files-package/"]Free MIDI drum files package ...[/url]

... Here's another ...

[url="http://groovemonkee.com/pages/free-midi-loops"]Groove Monkey ...[/url]

They'll keep you busy for an hour or so... B)

Edited by Dad3353

Make your own!

I know that sounds like something which would be difficult, but I would whole-heartedly recommend ToonTrack's EZ Drummer 2. Not only because it is an amazing piece of drum software for getting great sounds in to your compositions - it has a really cool feature: For instance, you can search the library of loops for the sort of beat that you want, then drag and drop it to a standalone time bar. So, I'd plug in my midi keyboard, find the kick drum and snare sounds, then use the 'Tap2Find' function by physically tapping out the sort of beat I want. EZ Drummer 2 will then list all the beats in it's library that match or are similar, also giving a percentage rating for how close to your groove they are. OR you can just select loops and drag them to the timeline anyway.

You can edit the loops and choose different kits or parts of kits to play the rhythm, something I do in my DAW of choice. One of my favourite parts of the software is to replace one single drum part of one loop with another's corresponding drum - such as just the kick drum. Especially If I had a part that followed a bass line specifically but I wanted to change the whole drum groove instead.

EZ Drummer 2 is worth every penny and you can buy more loop packs to go with it's already pretty cool library.

That's interesting, I am aiming to make my own so I plan to pull apart and mess around with the ones I find. I'll check out EZ Drummer 2, I don't know how much it overlaps with Steven Slate Drums which I already have but that does sound like a pretty cool feature. Although, partly I'm after new ideas.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1446494953' post='2899860']
I have just had a few emails from toontrack about upgrading to EZ Drummer2 , I think I will have to pull the trigger in the next day or so
[/quote]

Do it! I upgraded myself a week back and it is such a leap forward. So intuitive, it makes EZDRUMMER 1 look a toy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='adamg67' timestamp='1449072456' post='2920564']
I'm having a lot of fun with the free Groove Monkey tracks, I can see some of my hard earned going their way eventually if the paid for stuff is as good.
[/quote]

It is! The free stuff is a small selection of the grooves that you pay for. Follow them on Facebook, Twitter and sign up for their newsletter as they often send out discount codes.