Why become a member? ×

NGD - Bernie Marsden PRS SE

bassbiscuits

Bit of a belated NGD but I've only had limited time to write anything on this since purchasing it a few weeks back.

I've been lusting after a PRS SE for some time, mainly to replace the neck humbucker sound I was missing by just having a strat. I narrowed it down to a SE Custom 24 and this Bernie Marsden signature, which I chose because it was just bigger and meatier sounding than the 24.

I'd heard all sorts of things about the Bernie Marsden which turned me off - that they were really heavy, with a massive thick neck etc. Certainly mine has neither of those - it's the same weight as my USA strat (3.5kg ish) and while the neck is full and fat, it's not ungainly or a baseball bat like a 1951 CS Nocaster for example.

The fretboard does feel noticeably wider than a strat for example, and is flatter radius, but its not too alien and adjusting to it doesn't take long. The bird markers seem really well fitted and neat, as is the binding and fretwork.

It's loud and resonant when unplugged, which translates into a very usable set of humbucking sounds when plugged in. I played it for two songs at a recent gig and it sounded great - cutting nicely thru and not murky.

The neck pickup particularly is really creamy and responsive and the bridge pickup nice and bright, without either being too high gain. It's lighter sounding than a full on Les Paul, but fuller than an SG, with none of the latter's neck dive either!

I've always liked LP Juniors so am very happy with the wrapover tailpiece, though it does seem to take a bit longer for new strings to stretch in, maybe because of the greater angle that the strings have to wrap round.

At the end of the day it's a £600 Korean made PRS, rather than a £2k+ USA version.

But it's well made and very playable, light and comfortable, and exactly what I need as a companion to my main USA strat.

All in all tho, a very likeable and cool looking guitar so far.

Just need to get a few more gigs under its belt to see how it performs long term - I can't wait...!

Edited by bassbiscuits

[quote name='madshadows' timestamp='1446319285' post='2898595']
Lovely guitar, congrats :)

John
[/quote]

Cheers John,

Yeah it's definitely one of those I seem to leave permanently lying round the house to pick up and noodle on as much as poss!

In case you're wondering from the pics too I couldn't resist putting an old spare Les Paul p/up selector ring on it just for added LP vibe!

Edited by bassbiscuits

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1447836766' post='2910732']
Nice! Good timing too, as apparently the SE model is being discontinued in favour of a US-made version!
[/quote]

Really? Wow i bet that will be a bit of a monster! I saw an interview in which Bernie mentioned the possibility of a USA version but didn't realise it was on the cards.

better get saving then ha ha.

I gigged this for the first time last weekend and it sounded great - even the rest of the band noticed, which is high praise indeed...!

I really like the size, shape and in this particular instance, light weight of it too. Makes it a very comfortable guitar for playing and singing, as it hangs just right and has plenty of poke.

• 4 weeks later...

At the risk of reviving an old thread, I can just update you that this has just come back from having a proper pro set up which has really put the cherry on the cake so to speak.

The nut slots were lowered and smoothed off a bit, and the frets given a wee polish.

Basically it now plays beautifully with lovely low action and holds its tuning way better too.

I thought it played well beforehand anyway, but now it feels fantastic, so can't wait for next chance to gig it properly.

Hi Naetharu

They sound ace for blues - the neck pickup is rich and creamy, the bridge pickup is bright and barking, and the two together sound full but not muddy.

The neck isn't anything like as thick/wide as i'd been led to believe, and is actually a really natural feeling handful. The tone control also works really well to roll off about halfway for that flutey woman tone on the neck p/up.

Mine is actually really lightweight (same as my 2000s USA strat) which is very comfortable for two hours of singing/playing at gigs.

On the strength of the handful of gigs I've done with it, I'd say its great for blue/rock and also surprisingly versatile for quieter more sparse guitar work, with the gain turned down a bit.

Tho quite how good I am when it comes to playing blues is a totally different matter....

• 5 months later...

[s]Have just put this up for sale on the 'Other musically-related items for sale' forum.

Sadly no longer using it for anything, tho it's a great guitar, as I'm almost entirely playing bass these days [/s]

I changed my mind on the sale after an evening of blissful playing - it aint going anywhere!

Edited by bassbiscuits

• 2 weeks later...