Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1447755325' post='2909974']
I saw Will Young in Glasgow last Friday. I was surprised in that the show was better than I had expected.
I went along as my friend Paul Turner ( Jamiroquai ) was on bass. Really great band, and Michelle John ( Eric Clapton backing singer ) was amazing as always.
Paul's bass sounded great through the PA. I spoke to the sound guy afterwards. Turns out he did the sound on Kate Bush's recent Hammersmith gigs.
[/quote]

Spookily I know the guitarist who depped for a couple of those KB gigs at Hammersmith. The same guy has played in my band too; so via some weird degrees of separation thing, it turns out we have all played together with Kate, Eric and JK too!

Saw Caspian a couple of weeks ago who are just excellent every time. Great instrumental 'post-rock' tunes, and just every instruments tone is perfect, which is always touch live.

Also saw a full rendition of Tubular Bells friday just gone, including some other Mike Oldfield classics. TB was good, but they also performed Sentinel from TB2, which was flawless and quite moving! 25 piece band, all reading it! :-O

Si

DIDN'T see Wayne Shorter Quartet, cancelled! Patittucci, Blade, Perez. Was really excited about this one, got tickets months ahead, sadly Shorter fell ill.
Hope he recovers and starts touring again.

Did see Richard Bona, little dissapointing, maybe wasn't his day.

Saw Jim Hall just before he passed away, that was great. His trio played in a not so small venue without any amplification except the guitar amp, Joey Baron is the quietest drummer alive, what a master.

[quote name='basscell' timestamp='1447780030' post='2910314'].

Did see Richard Bona, little dissapointing, maybe wasn't his day.
[/quote]

Really? That's surprising! What was lacking?
I've seen him about 7 times and was outstanding everytime

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1447787650' post='2910419']
Really? That's surprising! What was lacking?
I've seen him about 7 times and was outstanding everytime

Si
[/quote]

I saw him twice; once at a masterclass and that was great, he just played the bass for an hour or so. Then i saw him with the band and was expecting the same :);
I suppose it was a great concert; it was just me expecting something else- I love him as a bass player but am not a fan of his composing I guess.

[quote name='scannerman' timestamp='1447790973' post='2910472']
Cory Henry and the Funk apostles in Birmingham last sunday night. Brilliant....what live music should be (for my ears at least)
[/quote]

I was there too! It wasn't what I expected but was brilliant nonetheless! :D

Saw Gary Clark Jr last night in Camden, 2nd time this year... totally blown me away both times!!

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1446573531' post='2900506']
my Prog chums The Far Meadow, followed by the brilliant A Formal Horse, at my local The Bedford in Balham, last Sunday. Look them on facebook to see my photos from the event!

next recently Steve Hackett, Snarky Puppy, Zappa Plays Zappa, Steven Wilson.

coming soon: Jaga Jazzist, Dave Matthews Band.
[/quote]
Ha! My crossword-setting chum Paul Bringloe is the Far Meadow's skins basher.

Vintage Trouble at the Forum Kentish Town on Tuesday. Can't believe I'm saying it but the sound was a bit 'bass-heavy' to start with but a brilliant gig nonetheless, masterclass in 'working a room' and a surprise guest duet with Paloma Faith singing 'I'd Rather Go Blind'
Excellent evening's entertainment 😀

I saw Alice Cooper a couple of weeks ago in Plymouth doing one of two warm up gigs for the Motley Crue tour.
I didn't know if he'd do the full theatrical show as it was a warm up and whether he'd even still have it in him.
I needn't have worried, he did the full show with all the bells and whistles and was completely on top of his game.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Michael Monroe was support (Hanoi Rocks) and that excellent as well, straight back to the eighties, great fun.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1447946798' post='2911740']

Michael Monroe was support (Hanoi Rocks) and that excellent as well, straight back to the eighties, great fun.
[/quote]

I absolutely LOVE Hanoi Rocks and Michael Monroe. I've seen them a few times and they always deliver. Never seen Michael on his own though.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1447929683' post='2911495']
Hiromi with Anthony Jackson and Simon Phillips last night at the RFH. Pretty hot stuff.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was there too! Pretty full on gig. I actually just really love hearing Hiromi chill out sometimes and play straightahead. That blues section with just her and Anthony was lovely - she's got great touch.

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1447955248' post='2911833']
Yeah, I was there too! Pretty full on gig. I actually just really love hearing Hiromi chill out sometimes and play straightahead. That blues section with just her and Anthony was lovely - she's got great touch.
[/quote]

Yep, some amazing moments. I was fifth row centre, and even so AJ's right had was obscured by his music stand, and Simon Phillips face had a large cymbal right in the way. Cracking kit though. First thing I did when I got out was spotify a couple of live versions of Toto's Rosanna.

Lucky to be so close man, I was back on the second tier! Did get to meet Hiromi afterwards for an autograph and a photo though.

Saw Jose James at Ronnie's this evening - absolutely incredible gig (just like the last time I saw him at Ronnie's in fact). Solomon Dorsey is a great bass player to watch, very musical player.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1447953496' post='2911812']

I absolutely LOVE Hanoi Rocks and Michael Monroe. I've seen them a few times and they always deliver. Never seen Michael on his own though.
[/quote]

He really really needed to invest in radio mic.
He had a roadie running around the stage after him untangling his mic lead permanently.
Very energetic, climbing all over the amps and PA, running around the stage and behind the drum riser and the roadie had to chase him around unhooking everything and everyone. Comical but bloody annoying for the rest of the band night after night I'd have thought :D

Average White Band at Royal Festival Hall. A masterclass of funk bass playing from Alan Gorrie and IMO as good as they have ever been without Hamish.

Edit - a reformed Kokomo as support were pretty good, too.

Edited by Paul S