Why become a member? ×

Who did you see live last?

ubit

Patti Smith at the Moore Theatre in Seattle, for her Gung Ho tour quite a few years ago, maybe 12-15. Brilliant gig in a small old style theatre, We got in really early and I remember having a discussion with an American about who was the better drummer, Budgie Banshee or Clem Burke. My missus nudged me and pointed to Peter Buck in a box, he later joined Patti on stage fo Gloria........ What a gig.

After seeing loads of gigs in London early to mid 80's I can never be tempted to a stadium gig so it's been pub bands since then. The last one of those was the Bangkok Beatles a couple of months ago, they were really good.

Steve

Last 3 bands I went to see live were:

Most recently a folk group, whose name escapes me, in a packed pub tearing it up totally acoustically.
Amongst their ranks was a guy playing the tambourine like I’ve never heard before – he made it sound like a drum kit!
I spoke to him after the gig and he explained how he slackens the tension of the skin so that he can stretch it with the fingers of his holding hand to get different pitches out of it and thus produce a flurry of toms or a bass drum or whatever. He said it sounds even better through a PA.

Prior to that I saw a classic rock covers band with a twist.
King Rocker by name.
Purple, Sabbath, Led Zep, AC/DC etc belted out by a tight band fronted by an Elvis impersonator.
Hearing Highway Star and Rock and Roll as sung by Elvis is an experience you don’t forget in a hurry.
After the gig Mrs Ag had her photo taken with “Elvis”
https://youtu.be/Dqx3ckCfgYA?t=3m16s

Last stadium headliners I saw:

The mighty RRRRRRRRRRRammstein

https://youtu.be/eSaa3vC_n2k?list=PLVTLbc6i-h_gbCq8E8SNXJuSh2XqzhZfg

[quote name='Agwin' timestamp='1452880709' post='2954441']

Most recently a folk group, whose name escapes me, in a packed pub tearing it up totally acoustically.
Amongst their ranks was a guy playing the tambourine like I’ve never heard before – he made it sound like a drum kit!
I spoke to him after the gig and he explained how he slackens the tension of the skin so that he can stretch it with the fingers of his holding hand to get different pitches out of it and thus produce a flurry of toms or a bass drum or whatever. He said it sounds even better through a PA.

King Rocker by name.
Purple, Sabbath, Led Zep, AC/DC etc belted out by a tight band fronted by an Elvis impersonator.
Hearing Highway Star and Rock and Roll as sung by Elvis is an experience you don’t forget in a hurry.
https://youtu.be/Dqx3ckCfgYA?t=3m16s

https://youtu.be/eSaa3vC_n2k?list=PLVTLbc6i-h_gbCq8E8SNXJuSh2XqzhZfg
[/quote]

I am somewhat jealous. Those sound like very good bands and I have wanted to see Rammstein for years, but have never got the chance for one reason or another

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1449827343' post='2927175']
Wilko Johnson (supporting) and Status Quo at the BIC in Bournemouth last night.

Excellent night. Wilko seems to be back in fine form, which was a relief after seeing him on TV after his operation.

Status Quo were also excellent, although I am not sure Rick's heart is in it anymore.

It was a interesting night, being the youngest person in the balcony section at a gig. That hasn't happened for some time! :lol:
[/quote]

Not sure mine would be either after playing the same three chords for the last fifty years.

We went to see The Temerance Movement in Glasgows Barrowland last night. Everyone was there to see them, but we were there to see the support The Sheepdogs. They were brilliant, such good harmonies with vocal and guitar. Temerance Movement were good too, but I'm not so familiar with their material. After The Sheepdogs finished we moved back as it was getting quite angsty down the front. We timed it right because the singer of TTM commented on what was going on in front of him when he was trying to concentrate. There's always some arsehole spoils it for others!

Last gig I went to was Duran Duran. Absolutely fantastic. Supported by Seal who should've been headlining himself. He too was top class.

Some turn to drugs, some to drink - Seal has obviously been in the gym for the last 20 years. Fantastic band he had as well.

Next gig should've been Motorhead tomorrow night :(

But, I am going to see ZZ Top at the Academy in Birmingham in June. One of the last of the bands I have on my bucket list still to see. It's a 5 hour drive each way but I didn't think I'd get the chance to see them and I likely never will again.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Agwin' timestamp='1452880709' post='2954441']

King Rocker by name.
[url="https://youtu.be/Dqx3ckCfgYA?t=3m16s"]https://youtu.be/Dqx3ckCfgYA?t=3m16s[/url]

[url="https://youtu.be/eSaa3vC_n2k?list=PLVTLbc6i-h_gbCq8E8SNXJuSh2XqzhZfg"]https://youtu.be/eSa...SNXJuSh2XqzhZfg[/url]
[/quote]
...I'm glad you enjoyed King Rocker as I'm the Bassist! It's a load of fun and not many people can say they've played The Zombie Hut in Corby backing up Elvis!

Blackstone cherry, shinedown and hale storm last night at the Hydro in Glasgow. Good night but BSC could have had a better sound. I do prefer smaller intimate venues. We went for the upgrade where for 25 quid, you get a two course meal and a table that is "yours for the night" it was advertised as, you can look out over the concert area. There were closed curtains. We asked about this and were told they are closed when the acts are on, so basically you can look at a crowd of people but not the bands. When we returned during the interval, our coats had been dumped through the back, so our table was not really ours for the night. The meal was nice but considering the hotel we stayed in offered a two course meal for 12 quid, we won't be doing this again!

Now I think about it, it must have been a few months since I last caught a gig, which is alarming. The last one I remember going to was Birdeatsbaby, at the Islington. Hana Piranha played the set before (who, it turns out, also plays violin for BEB); sadly I missed the opening set from Vienna Ditto. Apparently they were also very good, but we've got a gig with them coming up in March so I shall find out for myself then!