Why become a member? ×

Thinking of a Rig Upgrade - but looking for advice

Budaman

hi all,

I have been playing this RIG for a while now and I am pretty happy with the current sound it makes.
However I am looking to lighten the load as this shits pretty heavy!
At the moment the full rig is:
Gallien Krueger 400RB (500W Solid State head)
Warwick Tubepath 5.1 (500W tubepath head)
Two 1x15" GK NEO Cabs (8ohms)
One 1x15" Warick Cab (8ohms)
One 4x10"Warwick Cab (8ohms)

I basically run the two amp heads together at the same time through the Stereo output of my BOSS ME50b multi pedal.
I got a couple of pedals for the each head and they make two varied sounds and when combined sounds awesome.

My Warwick has great low end warm sounds with some distortion.
While the GK has better high ends and great distortion response.
I'm currently only running one cab per head as the equipment load is just stupid.

I'm looking into finding a complete replacement rig but would love to keep the range that the two heads provide.
As for bass I play 5-strings but recently I've started learning a 7-string (with a low F#) so perhaps that may play a part.
I have a few ideas myself but thought I'd get some advice and ideas from you guys first.

I know you said complete rig change but as you`re happy with the sound the easiest way to lighten the load is speaker cab change. That said something like a GK MB head and an Aguilar Tonehammer should do what your current GK and Warwick heads do at a fraction of the weight. I`d look at a couple of decent 212s, one for each amp - a lightweight powerful 212 can weigh as little as 40lbs. TKS/Barefaced/Schroeder/Bergantino all do very nice 212s that fir that bill. It could be a costly rig, but hey, you`ve enough gear there to sell to fund it.

That's enough to open your own shop!

Lozz's idea of 2 212's is a good one, but still a lot of gear. I'd sort out the pedals and go for a 1 cab solution. The only one I'd suggest is the Barefaced Big Twin 2, especially pumping out a low F# at any sort of volume.

You could run it with a power amp and a pre, or take your choice between any of the various 800 watt amps on the market.

Good suggestions above.
A Big Twin T has got to be worth a shout.
Can i ask though, do you NEED that much volume? Or do you go for this setup because of the tone you get?
I would have thought there is a single amp solution out there for you?
Maybe getting the distortion through a pedal? And running a power amp and Preamp setup for the huge amounts of clean power?
Seems a lot of gear to be lugging about!!

Edited by FuNkShUi

running two separate rigs at the same time can be incredible, I'm not sure this can be replicated with just one. I'd go for a stereo power amp into two cabs, and keep your pedals as they are. A stereo rack EQ might help emulate some of the voicing that your amp heads are doing.

But yeh, I think the main weight saving will be with the cabs, maybe just get two decent light weight cabs and keep the pedals and heads

I think if you're used to running two different amps you'll find a single amp/cab rig somewhat limiting, unless you get two different preamps and mix their outputs into a power amp and single cab. But the obvious solution seems to be two separate cabs and keeping your current heads.

Edited by alexclaber

Thanks for the suggestions people. Some nice food for thought.
I've always fancied the idea of getting a Barefaced. This was one of my original ideas, and the big twin has always looked tempting. That or the six10 but dunno if that will work for me.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1446625105' post='2900834']
Can i ask though, do you NEED that much volume? Or do you go for this setup because of the tone you get?
I would have thought there is a single amp solution out there for you?
[/quote]

Its the tone that was the charm for me. the cabs just came with the heads when I first got them.
However that rack box with the amp heads I have is massively heavy and replacing them with lightweight equipment is what I'd like to do.

The Warwick 1x15" is a little special to me as I have modified it and reinforced it. Plus its loaded with stickers on the back.
Perhaps two light weight amp heads and a Barefaced to go with it??

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1446594243' post='2900743']
That said something like a GK MB head and an Aguilar Tonehammer should do what your current GK and Warwick heads do at a fraction of the weight.
[/quote]

Sounds very interesting. I'm assuming they are Solid State. I've always liked the warm sub sound from my Warwick. Are there Tubepath lightweight map heads about these days??

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1446651281' post='2901161']
You're only in Kent - come down and try/borrow some demo cabs!
[/quote]

I may just have to make a road trip to Brighton one day then ;)
Thanks for the offer

Both the GK MB and the Aguilar TH are Class D. The Aguilar though is very old-school sounding, whereas the GK does that crisp GK sound very well. If wanting a bit more warmth the GK MB Fusion has pre-amp valves and is a lot warmer, though of course can do the classic GK sound as well.

Okay so I have been thinking,

I'm gonna find a nice lightweight powerful amp head, preferably 1000W (though the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]GK MB Fusion 800W sounds tempting too).[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'll replace the Warwick head with it cause that thing is the heaviest. So might find that on the sales list at some stage.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Afterwards getting a lightweight cab is the next stage. Might have to take on Barefaced's offer on a demo.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I was thinking of keeping the GK Neo 15" speaker cab cause it's lightweight and invest in another light head to go with it to replace the old GK head.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It'll be a step by step progress but I'll aim to end up with two nice lightweight amp heads a new lightweight cab and my GK Neo (which I could always change last if I feel like it).[/font][/color]
Rushing in and getting everything at once is probably not a great idea. Though I'd love to do it lol.
But what you think

I reckon the pairing of the GK MB Fusion 800 with the GK Neo should sound great. From there, well there are many amps that sound great with Barefaced cabs. Re the 1000W - I had the GK MB Fusion 500 and couldn`t use anywhere near its full power, so I wouldn`t be concerned that it won`t cut it.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay,
So I thought I'd let you guys know about the decisions I made of which amp heads I wanted to get here they are now
One TC Electronic RH750
Gallien Krueger MB800

I really have to say I am really liking the RH750. Its got some great sounds and plenty of variety.
The MB800 nhas the solid high tone sound I was looking for so it's all about blending them in together.
Next year cabs
[URL=http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/budaman33338/media/2015-11-26%2019.03.59_zps6bugbqan.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/budaman33338/2015-11-26%2019.03.59_zps6bugbqan.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/budaman33338/media/2015-11-26%2019.03.45_zps4pdtzejr.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/budaman33338/2015-11-26%2019.03.45_zps4pdtzejr.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I'm running them through one 8ohm cab each so they are running at about 500W each now instead.
At least that's what they say in their stats.

In my house I only have them on at 25% volume.
I got a gig this Wednesday so will be able to let them loose and found out how they really sound like

Edited by Budaman

I've just realised one of my GK Neo 115-III runs at 400W RMS @8ohms

So if I were to run the GK MB800 (which is 800W @ 4ohms and 500W @ 8ohms) it will most likely blow the cab wont it??
Luckily I haven't used the cab n amp together yet, but this is most likely the case right?

Only if you really push it - use your ears to hear if it`s struggling and then back off on either the lows, or master volume.

Have to say though, having had the MB500, which was ridiculously loud, I can`t see you pushing to full volume on the 800.

Ok I ran it pretty well on my gig last Wednesday.
I have the GK set to a more treble sound and with a strong distortion pedal running thru it.
So there is less Bass or Low mids to it. RH750 does the subs.

It sounds pretty good and I don't think it's being pushed at the moment
Venue I played in was pretty small so couldn't hear it that as clear.
I'll keep an ear out for it and see how it goes at the next gig.

In other news it been sounding great.
still settling into the sounds I want from them but I'm liking what I've got