Why become a member? ×

Nut Glued into neck - help!

Phonder

So several weeks ago I bought a second-hand Yamaha BB 5 string. When taking the strings off to drop some lemon oil on the neck, the nut fell off the bass. I tried putting the nut back into it's slot and securing it but it kept falling out. At this point I was quite annoyed that the nut wouldn't stay in. I grabbed some glue (Home Essentials Extra Strong), put a few drops into the slit and glued the nut in. After a while of playing (after the glue had already set completely) I noticed that when i was to be playing on the G string, the string would often slide off to the side of the neck. When I looked at the nut again I realised that the part closest to the G string is slightly off the neck. Not in line with the width of the neck. Basically, this problem is a big issue for me because i very much love this bass and I really don't want to have to buy another. However, this problem may be able to be fixed by using thicker strings (Currently using 40-125 gauge) which I would like to avoid as I like these strings.
Any help with my problem would be highly appreciated.

-Phonder

Edited by Phonder

Not sure what type of glue it is? Is there a corresponding solvent/glue remover? A Luthier should be able to get it off, I wouldn't recommend you using steam if it is water soluble. Will dental floss bite into the glue and could you saw it out?

In future you only need a tiny drop of glue to locate a nut, for the very reason that if you need to replace it you want to be able just tap it out!

Worst case scenario is you remove the broken nut in pieces and you have to buy a replacement. If you are handy with files, buy a dog bone and make a new one, just photograph the existing one first!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1446581614' post='2900608']
Not sure what type of glue it is? Is there a corresponding solvent/glue remover? A Luthier should be able to get it off, I wouldn't recommend you using steam if it is water soluble. Will dental floss bite into the glue and could you saw it out?

In future you only need a tiny drop of glue to locate a nut, for the very reason that if you need to replace it you want to be able just tap it out!

Worst case scenario is you remove the broken nut in pieces and you have to buy a replacement. If you are handy with files, buy a dog bone and make a new one, just photograph the existing one first!
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice

If I read you correctly, the nut overhangs the side of the neck slightly.

If that's correct, I would try to tap it free with a hammer, by hitting the end of the nut longways so that it travels in its slot, i.e. hit it as though the nut was a nail. Like this: [url="http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/images/refret/3-tap-out-the-nut-4.jpg"]http://www.mancheste...t-the-nut-4.jpg[/url]

I wouldn't do it if you're at all uncomfortable with it, though. If you're not used to using a hammer, I'd pay a guitar tech or luthier to do it.

I would:
- take the strings off the tuners.
- clamp or hold the bass so that you can get at the overhanging side of the neck easily. Be sure not to damage the bass with the clamps!
- Hold a piece of scrap wood or hardboard over the overhanging end of the nut so that you can tap the scrap wood, so that the hammer doesn't hurt the wood of the neck.
- [u]Carefully[/u]! [u]Gently[/u]! tap the scrap wood with the hammer. With any luck it will free the nut in its slot. (If you're really lucky it will just move sideways along the slot a little bit and wind up in the right place :) )

Disclaimer: I am not a luthier or professional instrument repairer!

Edited by alyctes

Post a pic of the nut as there's two ways a nut can be attached. This will give us a better idea of how to attack it.
If the glue is very strong a nut can be a right pain to remove without any damage. Often strong glue will either crack the wood or leave an uneven surface behind after removal.
Nuts really don't need strong glue to stay in place and a little goes a long way.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1446606797' post='2900792']
Post a pic of the nut as there's two ways a nut can be attached. This will give us a better idea of how to attack it.
If the glue is very strong a nut can be a right pain to remove without any damage. Often strong glue will either crack the wood or leave an uneven surface behind after removal.
Nuts really don't need strong glue to stay in place and a little goes a long way.
[/quote]

If I remember correctly from my BBN5, the nut is in a sawn slot in the fingerboard; it's not free at the headstock end.

Never use glue for nuts

The best stuff i've found is clear silicone sealant - usually found in automotive shops. 1 little dab each end of the nut will be fine. It takes longer to set ( leave over night ) but will be a doddle to
take the nut off anytime in the future, and it wont rip any wood off when removing

If you get your nut sorted, dont use glue next time

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1446754712' post='2902160']
Heat a scalpel over a flame then gently ease it down the "slits" for the nut this will melt the glue and the nut will pull out I would advise covering up the fretboard if you have not done this before :)
[/quote]

Will this work for that sort of glue?

The OP could always try it out on some scrap wood first - he knows what the glue is, so it should be easy to glue some bits together to experiment on.

Edited by alyctes

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1446826752' post='2902724']
Never use glue for nuts

The best stuff i've found is clear silicone sealant - usually found in automotive shops. 1 little dab each end of the nut will be fine. It takes longer to set ( leave over night ) but will be a doddle to
take the nut off anytime in the future, and it wont rip any wood off when removing

If you get your nut sorted, dont use glue next time
[/quote]

While this will work I can't imagine even a very thin layer of silicon being good at transferring sound. And I don't think many pro builders would think this was a good idea. I see where your coming from though