Why become a member? ×

Pick up

Guest gazzatriumph

Guest gazzatriumph

Hi all,

I'm taking the plunge and going to get a DB, I would like some advice on what pick ups to use as I would like to use it live on some songs if I get good enough. I have TC Electronics RH750 amp with an RS210 and a RS112 cab. I will be having some lessons as I realise the DB is a different animal to the EB, Thanks for any help

I'm not intending to sound patronising but will your first DB be towards the bottom end of the market? If so, good, because I have a ply bass that's a dream to amp. At the other end I have a very nice carved bass that has the most gorgeous acoustic sound but has been a nightmare to get a decent amped sound. I've sorted it now but I've had to go up a few blind alleys before I've achieved a very good sound.

So to consider a simple pickup on a basic bass. You couldn't go too wrong with an Underwood. This is by no means an entry pup and could give good results. Two piezo sandwiches fit between the bridge wing slots. You may need to do a bit of work to get the right fit. The Shadow is similar. The KK BassMax fits in a single wing and it is correspondingly cheaper, gives good results and very easy to fit. Then there is the David Gage Realist which is a copper foil that sits under the bridge foot and is again dead easy to fit. It gives a somewhat darker sound than the previous pups but a lot of people enjoy its mellowness.

If you have an adjustable bridge you could fit a Gage Lifeline, which I like, or a Fishman Full Circle which many consider the best of them all. Starting out I'd recommend either a BassMax or a Realist for ease of installation and which won't need an outboard preamp initially.

I'd like to be in your position again because the first DB is a magical thing and the simplest pickup will give you a satisfactory amped sound. Later, much later, you'll start to get picky and that's where the anguish and expense start to bite. Enjoy your bass.

Edited by bassace

Bassace just gave you the best possible reply. What he said is THE truth. Like him, I somewhat miss the excitement of starting out on DB and I wish you loads of success. For sure you'll find lots of advice and encouragement on this part of the forum.

Edited by Rabbie

Guest gazzatriumph

Hi Bassace, I had a DB about 30 years ago had to sell it as I needed an EB for a band I had joined, it will be a low end bass looking at solid spruce and solid maple flat back and ribs around the £1000 mark, I love the look of a DB and the sound and have sorted a teacher out for when I get one so I start off again with the correct techniques hopefully, the DB I had 30 years ago wasnt set up and probably had crap strings on it but I couldnt afford to have it set up properly or buy decent strings. I think I will get a Headway Band nice and easy to fit and appears to have good reports, thanks for your reply, hoping to get a bass tomorrow :)

Guest gazzatriumph

Cheers Rabbie, will learning to play DB affect either for good or worse playing the EB apart from probably spending more time with the new DB, this site is great for info and advice, thanks again will keep you posted

If you want something cheap and simple, these aren't bad. I like mine better than the Revolution Solo II pickup I had.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-tone-Big-double-Bass-Pick-up-/200613316399?hash=item2eb57c472f:m:mMv8R28HOczqgXmXPBsADZw"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-tone-Big-double-Bass-Pick-up-/200613316399?hash=item2eb57c472f:m:mMv8R28HOczqgXmXPBsADZw[/url]

I've tried several pickups and the one I went back to and stuck with was the KK bassmax. Simple to install and the easiest (for me) to get a great sound from. My bass is a strunal 50/4 > fishman plat pro. They do occasionally pop up in used condition on eBay.
Good luck with your quest.

Edited by paddy109

Guest gazzatriumph

Got the Micheal Poller DB, now for the hard work and fun of learning to play it, re pick up Im going to get the Headway Band

[attachment=204550:DSC_0004.JPG]

[attachment=204552:DSC_0006.JPG]

Edited by gazzatriumph