Why become a member? ×

can anyone recommend a hard case for a 34" semi-acoustic bass, please?

alyctes

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1446931315' post='2903645']
What bass is it? Fender do one that fits the Coronado and starcaster.
[/quote]

Yamaha BEX 4 - this one http://basschat.co.uk/topic/265853-yamaha-bex-4-fretless-now-sold/page__p__2834886__hl__bex%204__fromsearch__1#entry2834886.

They don't make them any more.

Edited by alyctes

Not looking good.

Stagg don't do anything for a semi-acoustic. AFAICT Warwick ditto. Hagstrom and Guild are short scale.

It's not easy to get any dimensions for a non-generic case - not surprising, but not helpful.

Edited by alyctes

A lot of semi acoustics are short scale. The. Epiphone Jack Casady is 34" the same as yours so I reckon that's a good place to start. I found the Jack Casady case dimensions on the net. If yours matches , then the case should be good.

lower bout - 16.5"
upper bout - 12.5"
middle (hips) width - 10"
body length (bottom to hips) - 13"
body length (hips to top) - 8"
overall length - 50.5"

Edited by Muppet

For that bass aren't you going to need a full size acoustic bass guitar case, rather than the semi-acoustic styles that have been suggested?
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinsman-Premium-Shaped-Acoustic-Guitar/dp/B005F40M1I"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinsman-Premium-Shaped-Acoustic-Guitar/dp/B005F40M1I[/url]

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1447078356' post='2904618']
For that bass aren't you going to need a full size acoustic bass guitar case, rather than the semi-acoustic styles that have been suggested?
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinsman-Premium-Shaped-Acoustic-Guitar/dp/B005F40M1I"]http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B005F40M1I[/url]
[/quote]

I don't think so. The body is less than 6cm deep (front to back), so the 16- or 18cm acoustic cases look to me as if the bass will not be properly supported. I may yet have to go that route and build a (removable) false bottom in an acoustic case, but that's a lot of work for a case which is going to take up more space than I can spare.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1446971670' post='2903738']
You could visit a shop that stocks Casady bass and try your bass in the case.
[/quote]

I'll be trying that. Thanks :)

There's probably somewhere in Bristol or Southampton.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1447104097' post='2904966']
I don't think so. The body is less than 6cm deep (front to back), so the 16- or 18cm acoustic cases look to me as if the bass will not be properly supported. I may yet have to go that route and build a (removable) false bottom in an acoustic case, but that's a lot of work for a case which is going to take up more space than I can spare.
[/quote]

Ah, sorry, they've always looked deeper than that in pictures.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1446946853' post='2903713']
Not looking good.

Stagg don't do anything for a semi-acoustic. AFAICT Warwick ditto. Hagstrom and Guild are short scale.

It's not easy to get any dimensions for a non-generic case - not surprising, but not helpful.
[/quote]

Warwick do have a case specially for their Star Bass Semi-Acoustic. I have one. It's not particularly small or light, but it offers excellent protection.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1447172882' post='2905523']
Warwick do have a case specially for their Star Bass Semi-Acoustic. I have one. It's not particularly small or light, but it offers excellent protection.
[/quote]

Thank you; I will look again.

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1446950878' post='2903717']
A lot of semi acoustics are short scale. The. Epiphone Jack Casady is 34" the same as yours so I reckon that's a good place to start. I found the Jack Casady case dimensions on the net. If yours matches , then the case should be good.

lower bout - 16.5"
upper bout - 12.5"
middle (hips) width - 10"
body length (bottom to hips) - 13"
body length (hips to top) - 8"
overall length - 50.5"
[/quote]

Apologies for somehow missing this.

That would be a decent fit - if anything slightly over size. Thank you very much :)

Mine came in a hard case, second hand from here so I don't know if it was a Yamaha one or one bought after original purchase.
I can have a look and see if it's got any labels on it but it's a in our rehearsal space so I probably won't see it until next week sometime.
I post back with any news when I see it

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1447710018' post='2909750']
Mine came in a hard case, second hand from here so I don't know if it was a Yamaha one or one bought after original purchase.
I can have a look and see if it's got any labels on it but it's a in our rehearsal space so I probably won't see it until next week sometime.
I post back with any news when I see it
[/quote]

Thank you :)

• 3 weeks later...