Why become a member? ×

Tell me about Jaydee basses.

spyder

Far from being 1 trick ponies - great basses in fact. They'll do everything a J or P will do plus plenty more. There's a good reason why they don't need to advertise, they're not taking orders and have a 18 month waiting list. Look for one locally to try...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKvO8pXZi-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2eq0NXb1P4

In fact you've given me GAS for one...

I found mine to be a bit of a one trick pony to be honest - did the Mark King thing brilliantly as you'd expect, but when I tried putting heavier strings on it & using it for other types of music I was always disappointed with the results. The neck was a f***ing nightmare too, it would have been more stable if it had been made out of marshmallows.

I actually part exchanged my Jaydee against a 'super jazz' type bass (Levinson Blade B4) & never regretted it for a second, it was a far better bass in every aspect IMO.

I owned a Supernatural bass during the late 80's (swapped my Wal for it)...it was the most beautiful looking bass I have ever owned, but I found the electrics to be weak and after a few weeks the neck developed a terminal back bow which resembled Robin Hoods weapon of choice.

I moved it on, and such was my disapointment and grief would never, ever buy another. Just saying!

Used to have a Jaydee Roadie 2 active and it was a very fine bass. Purchased it new in 1985 and it never let me down. The neck was solid and rarely needed adjustment. I preferred it to the Supernatural Mark King models. Beautifully finished, ebony neck, passive or active and reasonably versatile IMO. As the bass got older the bridge pickup developed a burpy tone, that was similar to a vintage jazz bass.

Sold it last year as I was not using it as it was a tad heavy for my old shoulder. I miss it

There is a long waiting list but the Roadie actve 2 just costs £1355, which IMO is fantastic value for a hand crafted instrument. In the flesh they are stunning to look at

You might want to check out Bassjaymi's YouTube channel. He's a real Jaydee fan and has a number of different models among his bass review videos. https://www.youtube.com/user/bassjaymi

Never had one myself but I suspect that the strong Mark King connections explains why you see so many folks just demoing them as slap basses. This video suggests they may have more tone in them than just thwackety-ploing thwackety-pling!

http://youtu.be/oWB-QHIp4MA

I'm an ex-Jaydee MK S2 owner and I still hanker after a five string sometimes. I sold mine because it wasn't warm or versatile enough to be used as a single bass. The neck pickup lacked the midrange focus of a P bass and with both pickups on it got lost in the mix on stage. The back pickup is superb but I couldn't realistically use it in a covers band all the time. However, the Supernaturals are fine instruments, make no mistake and they provided my reference point for future instruments (especially the ergonomics - I'm way more comfortable on wide bodied basses and this is why I still hanker after one.)

I swapped my Musicman Sterling Black Onyx for a Jaydee supernatural series III
I play less slap bass than anything else and IMO the Jaydee is not a one trick pony.
It is probably the best bass I've ever owned and I've owned a fair few in the 40 years I've
been playing bass. It feels, plays and sounds like a quality instrument and I'm not surprised there
is such a long waiting list for a new one. ;)

• Like 1

I had one on a couple of weeks trial in the mid/late 80s. In my opinion it wasn't very good as a rock bass. My Blazer played and sounded better so I ended up not buying it. I seem to recall reading a review in a magazine (possibly an A4 size one I forget the name of) around that time and they thought the same.

It was a very nice bass but just didn't tick the boxes for me.

At the same sort of time I had a Yamaha BB on trial which I loved. I didn't buy that as I didn't like the finish - I was into black at the time!!

• 2 weeks later...