Why become a member? ×

Which one is louder: Tecamp 500 or Aguilar Th500?

Radchenko

Have responded to your pm.. they are quite similar in output but voiced very differently. Crank the gain for more volume on the th500, make sure that the -10 db isn't engaged if you are struggling for gain, add another cab if still not loud enough and run at 4 ohm. Great little amp, output is rarely a complaint.

[quote name='Radchenko' timestamp='1446937198' post='2903673']
Thank you. But Epifani Ul112 is 300 watts 8 ohms.
[/quote]

It's not as if you're going to be running any of these amps at maximum volume.
It's a case of trying them and deciding which is best for you. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1447007740' post='2904126']
... I have been told on very good authority that the class D unit in the TH500 is rated as 800W by other manufacturers but only as 500W by Aguilar, because they want to give a more realistic RMS rating.
[/quote]

That would explain a lot... does this mean the TH350 is actually a 500W+ amp? If so, it represents something of a bargain...

I don't think for a moment you are going to experience the TH500 any way lacking against any of the current crop of '500' D Class heads. They all have their own voice, sure - and you may like one or other better, but the TH is a serious contender. Same for the Puma I feel.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1447008908' post='2904151']

That would explain a lot... does this mean the TH350 is actually a 500W+ amp? If so, it represents something of a bargain...
[/quote]

Actually it explains nothing whatsoever, claimed output is meaningless and loudness is subjective. A back to back test is the only useful comparison. Discreet I am disappointed to see you apparently falling for this nonsense, I thought you had a clue.

Edited by pete.young

I have no experience with Tecamp heads, but I have compared my TH-500 to my other heads in the same power neighborhood; an Ampeg SVT3-Pro, a Carvin BX500 and an Eden WT-400. While all of those heads get more than loud enough for my needs, I do find that the output of the TH500 seems to be quite loud compared to the Eden and Ampeg. I will say up front that this is not the result of any scientific testing whatsoever. It is simply my impression based upon many gigs with these pieces of equipment used with cabinets of all sorts over the years. (The Carvin, for what it's worth, also gets really loud.) All of those heads are very close in claimed output, but voiced very differently, which supports the suggestions that the best answer is really to listen to the heads in question and see which best suits your needs.

@discreet: if rhubarb is still available, I think I'd be very happy to be rhubarb.

Edited by Lo-E

My last amp was a TH500 and my current one is a Puma 500.

I would say that they are very evenly matched in terms of volume output but, as has been said further up, the two differ in sound.

The TH500 I had was a fabulous amp - very classy to look at, sounded glorious but the drive feature was lost on me. Aesthetically, the Puma is a little cheap looking but sounds punchy and clean. The eq points are also exactly where I like them and the 'Taste' control is brilliant. I added a second cab to my TKS 115 at yesterday's rehearsal and everybody in the band said how amazing the sound was.

I'd say that if you got to the point of finding out which amp actually[i] is[/i] the loudest. . . . . you're using the wrong amp, and any serious headroom that you can achieve with either amp will probably be lost on a 112 cab. You'll need at least 2 112 cabs to reach a point where differences will become apparent.

I use a TH500 (and a 212) and even in loud bands I've never had both volume controls beyond 12 o'clock.

The decider for me would be the tone that each amp produce. They are both well built, well spec'ed and the Puma seems to be a modern, clean tone while the TH500 is more of a full, fat and vintage tone. As I said I chose the TH500.

I have a Tecamp 300 and it is astonishingly loud - it is also quite a clean sounding amp and I believe (not played one) the Aggie is a bit more dirty. The Puma does have the very useful TASTE control that makes it sound more vintage, but it's always clean - so more like an old Dan Armstrong rather than an Ampeg.

I think the main problem is we don't know how accurate the 8ohm output levels are, whether they've been measured properly or whether there is marketing speak going on.

I've never heard a bad thing said about either amp - so I would suggest the OP picks the one that he likes the sound of the most. Then if he needs more welly - get a 2nd cab.

Not in the OP's options but IME, Markbass amps are relatively 'loud' given their spec - at least if you define 'loudness' as that attribute of auditory sensation in terms of which sounds can be ordered on a scale extending from quiet to loud. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1447008908' post='2904151']

[/quote]

No, the TH350 is a 350w amp, like it says. The TH500 does have the B&O module in it that can be used for more than 500w, but all it's putting out is 500w. A well voiced and punchy 500w at that. If you want more volume, get more speakers.