Why become a member? ×

Which one is louder: Tecamp 500 or Aguilar Th500?

Radchenko

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1447008908' post='2904151']
That would explain a lot... does this mean the TH350 is actually a 500W+ amp? If so, it represents something of a bargain...
[/quote]
[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1447018574' post='2904235']
Actually it explains nothing whatsoever, claimed output is meaningless and loudness is subjective.
[/quote]
[quote name='Jazzjames' timestamp='1447167386' post='2905447']
No, the TH350 is a 350w amp, like it says.
[/quote]

OK, probably my fault for not putting about ten smilies at the end of my post. I do [i]not [/i]think that the TH350 is a 500W amp, and I'm quite well aware that output power ratings have little bearing on 'loudness', however you want to define it. Like many of my posts, the comment was intended to be cynical. I thought the ellipsis at the end of the sentence would have been sufficient to indicate this, but apparently not.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :) :) :) :P :P :P

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1447177929' post='2905593']

OK, probably my fault for not putting about ten smilies at the end of my post. I do [i]not [/i]think that the TH350 is a 500W amp, and I'm quite well aware that output power ratings have little bearing on 'loudness', however you want to define it. Like many of my posts, the comment was intended to be cynical. I thought the ellipsis at the end of the sentence would have been sufficient to indicate this, but apparently not.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :) :) :) :P :P :P
[/quote]

My bad. Fooled me. And i thought i'd better say something in case someone else (who is also gullible) thought that because the power units in the tonehammers are used for higher wattage applications in other amps, that therefore they are more powerful than they say.

Sigh ...
I don't think that the TH500 puts out more than 500 watts, but in relation to the OP's question I do think it's worth saying that the TH performs VERY comfortably at high volume. My assumption is that this may have something to do with the fact that Aguilar put an 800w-capable class D unit in and cap it at 500w rather than skimping and using one that just about gets to 500 at a push, but maybe that's wrong. Even so, it would be interesting to know what unit is inside the Tecamp. I've never played or even heard one before but they get consistently high praise, so I have no agenda here - just genuinely interested.

Forgive my ignorance but is it the case that some light weight class d bass amps/heads use common power amp modules, and I suppose, their corresponding power supplies? e.g. the B&O modules mentioned. So debate about the relative virtues of amps x,y, and z are in fact only really comparing the preamp stage, which itself is only really about the overdrive/compression, 'baked-in' eq contouring, and eq control elements?

Popular class d power amps are the 125asx2 and the 250asx2 from Icepower. Both come with a switched mode power supply, all on a single board. All you do is hook up mains power, connect to output and hook up a preamp to the input. For powering preamps there's a 24 volt aux power. I make it sound easy but that is basically what a lot bass amp brands do. Aguilar Tone Hammmer, Swr Amplite, Kustom Kxb500, GenzBenz, the GK MB stuff etc. Markbass however doesn't use these.

What is both interesting and confusing is that amps using the very same module all get a different power rating from their makers. The amps with the 250asx2 modules are rated 500, 800 and even 900 Watts @ 4 ohms... Go figure.

[quote name='r16ktx' timestamp='1447328059' post='2906691']Forgive my ignorance but is it the case that some light weight class d bass amps/heads use common power amp modules, and I suppose, their corresponding power supplies? e.g. the B&O modules mentioned. So debate about the relative virtues of amps x,y, and z are in fact only really comparing the preamp stage, which itself is only really about the overdrive/compression, 'baked-in' eq contouring, and eq control elements?[/quote]

Class D modules can't be driven into clipping so they have to have some kind of system to prevent that from happening. Generally the modules are designed to be run clean and the clipping protection is just there to stop the amp clamping and killing both your speaker and itself - so when you use a class D module in a bass amp you usually have to design something to work as a compressor/limiter/soft-clipping circuit before the amp hits its limits, so it sounds musical when pushed as hard as many bass amps are.

When I tried a TH500, I found to get "decent" volume out of it, you needed to use the gain and some drive. This did not give me the kind of sound I like.
The PUMA I have, well pretty much all set to flat, TASTE contol used to where I want it. Easily gives me the sound I require.

I don't think volume is an issue with either amp, more a matter of what sound you want with that volume.
This is just personal experience, not science.

As others have said, the way to really open up either amp is simply speakers/4 ohms.