Why become a member? ×

TKS S112 with or without tweeter?

tonyclaret

Hi,

Deliberating whether to get the tweeter version or not. I am pairing it with a Aguilar TH350, the high end on these I believe only goes to 4khz so if it isn't there at the source I ain't going to need the sparkle of the tweeter? although I suppose it's good to have on tap if I ever do change amps or feel the need for more treble.

Decisions!

On another note although related, some people appear to have bought direct form TKS, on the web it's says to go through Bass Gear now?

I don't think you can go direct to TKS from the UK... and tbf, I wouldn't anyway as Bassgear are great to deal with and
you get their service for the same money anyway, AIUI.

I've run S112's with a TH500 with a tweeter, but only one out of the 2 cabs. I like a bit of top end bite or the option of it
but I'd think my needs aren't typical..

A rough guide would be, rounds needs a tweeter option whereas flats don't... but I think you'll buy two anyway..or add the second.
The thing about the S112 is that it has great mid cut thru but it is a smooth mid and not at all honky.
The TH is a great match but I also reckon the cab will work with most amps.. the Ampeg PF is another one, as is the Demeter
and these are, IMO...quite diverse sounding amps.

I use my Tonehammer without the tweeter switched on on my cab, but dialling it in certainly makes a difference to the sound - a lot more high end, and clarity/precise-ness on the notes. Although I`m not a fan of tweeters I`d say get a cab with one in - better to have it and not find you need it than the other way round.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1447026979' post='2904304']
I use my Tonehammer without the tweeter switched on on my cab, but dialling it in certainly makes a difference to the sound - a lot more high end, and clarity/precise-ness on the notes. Although I`m not a fan of tweeters I`d say get a cab with one in - better to have it and not find you need it than the other way round.
[/quote]

Yeah, I think this would be the sensible approach.

Probably sensible.

The logic for me going without stemmed from my previous experience with tweeters - on my Bergs, for example, dialling out the tweeters left the crossover in the circuit, and I always felt it affected the natural roll-off of the drivers.

Whether it's the same with the TKS I don't know, but as there's no crossover in there, I know the drivers are getting the full range.

I'd say it largely depends on your bass/strings. When I demo'd with Precision and flats (TH500 head), there wasn't much added by the tweeter, but with a Jazz and nickels it really made a difference. Only 25% on, but that was enough to let the Jazz sparkle come through.

Hello.

I had a Tks112 tweeter version with my TH500. With no tweeter, sound is warm and pretty, but if you want more options like a more modern sound is better have the tweeter and is not expensive.

When I bought mine, I wrote directly with Tommy Sodergren.
One cabinet is good for not loud situations, if you play in a band with several members, better buy two, or a bigger cabinet.

Bye.

I like those divices, they capture a decent mix very well...so much so that I trust them to be pretty representative of the gig mix in general.

Funny aside... I've got some very listenable recordings from a random quick fix poistion with just level sorted out, where the recording position
was determined by the location of a power point as opposed to an optimum sound position, and the worst recording was obtained from
a so called quality hired in rig, with the zoom right in front of the Mixing desk out front. Hmmmm what does that say about that FOH engr..!!! :lol:

I just became the proud owner of two S112s on Friday, one with tweeter and one without. After trying them out at home I'd say the tweeter is nice to have but unless you really want some top end zing you won't miss it if you don't have it.

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1447700869' post='2909648']
Great tone and groove going on here. What's the head?
[/quote]

Cheers.. it was a dep so it was all a bit seat'o'me pants. Good fun, though.

The head is a Mesa Walkabout - all you're hearing there is my backline. No PA support (unlike everything else, including the drums).

Sounds really good - yep, no tweeters needed there. I wouldn't have bought my Bergs if I'd heard them with the tweeters on, but with them off they're bang on the sound I like - the difference in the cabs is startling. I've had the same experience with BF cabs (S212T and BB2), Markbass (their tweeters are really horrid) and others. The only tweeter I can recall liking at all was the one on the Roland DBass combo/extension. Even then I only had it on a little. I play with bright stainless rounds, pick, slap, all sorts of tones.

Good news is it's always cheaper without a tweeter... :D

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1447752796' post='2909940']
Sounds really good - yep, no tweeters needed there. I wouldn't have bought my Bergs if I'd heard them with the tweeters on, but with them off they're bang on the sound I like - the difference in the cabs is startling. I've had the same experience with BF cabs (S212T and BB2), Markbass (their tweeters are really horrid) and others. The only tweeter I can recall liking at all was the one on the Roland DBass combo/extension. Even then I only had it on a little. I play with bright stainless rounds, pick, slap, all sorts of tones.

Good news is it's always cheaper without a tweeter... :D
[/quote]

I'm all for a bit of cost cutting! It's a leap of faith getting one without though. Although it would give me a valid excuse to by another cab sooner rather than later!! Sssh don't tell the wife.

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1446992229' post='2903941']
Aguilar TH350, the high end on these I believe only goes to 4khz.
[/quote]

I'd imagine that would only be the centre of the boosted frequencies for the treble control. The amp would still reproduce frequencies above 4hz if they being sent to it by the instrument.

Edited by Painy