Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Bryant John Lott Bass
£4000

Rabbie

Every few years, I convince myself that I need a carved bass. But I don't , I really really don't. I am a plywood player and I enjoy the way plys sound and feel.
I drove from Scotland all the way to the genius that is Mr Bryant to get this bass. Paul is a gentleman and a legend: his basses need somebody to play them, not to keep them in the house. So this has to go, plus I need the money real bad.
I am told that this bass is valued at 6-7k, but I only want what I paid for it.
If you are reading this ad, you already know about Paul's basses, so need for me to go on about it.
This Bryant's bass number 107, is a couple of years old and it comes with a certificate of authenticity signed by Paul, of course.

This is a large ¾ size orchestral instrument closely modeled on a bass by John Lott, the king of English double bass making. A flat back bass with the characteristic high back angle. A well proportioned instrument with a body length of 113cm. 44.5ins and a string stop of 105cm. 41.4ins A very playable bass. This bass has a back, sides and head of medium figure English sycamore, the front is of medium grain Alpine spruce. Fitted with fine quality Baker style machines. The instrument is covered with golden brown oil varnish.

I am in Scotland, happy to drive a bit to meet, and happy for people to come try the bass at my house.
Please hit me with questions.

Edited by Rabbie
  • Like 1

Blimey, £4k is a crazy price. I endorse all Rabbie says about Paul Bryant and his basses. I've got No 92 and it is a.gorgeous instrument with a great tone. Paul has now retired from bass making so the valuations will only go up with age and rarity.

Blimey! Never seen a bass going this fast! A very eminent classical pro came to my house today and snapped it up for his son who is going to music uni. Less than 24 hours after advertising it! Thanks for the encouraging words everyone. I know I sold it for less than worth, but I'm not a greedy person, that's how much j had paid for it and especially it's going to be played at the standards it deserves.