Why become a member? ×

Ashdown little giant 1000 repairable?

richrips

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hi All,[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]My Ashdown little giant 1000 has worked flawlessly since I got it 7 or 8 years ago. Last night It made some funny sounds like a lead being disconnected badly then stopped producing sound although the bass was still showing up on the preamp visual meter. I changed the speaker cable to the other speaker output and it works. The trouble is I have a gig on saturday and will need to use 2 cabs. Does anyone have experience repairing these? Is is worthwhile? I'm handy with a soldering iron but I don't want to waste time if this is doomed. Meanwhile I'll be searching for someone to send me a new (used) amp to use at the gig.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Any help much appreciated.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cheers![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ric[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]h[/font][/color]

if I remember right these have a pair of power amps in them, one running each output, it sounds like one of these has given up the ghost, I know that Ashdown had some quality issues a while ago (manly with the power section of the Superfly) it might need a new board, I would get in touch with Ashdown customer service, there's also a sticky in this section with amp techs, there should be one near you who could advise as well.

are your cabs 8 ohm or 4 ohm? if they're 8 then you can daisy chain them from a single output (assuming they have 2 sockets each) and it should give you a similar output to running one speaker from each output.

Matt

Hmmm ok that's interesting. I'd not considered daisy-chaining cabs. My cabs are 8 ohm only have one 1/4 inch input each. Can I make up a cable to run both from one speaker output?

Had a few offers of amps from my wanted ad but cash and time are both issues. Little worried about trusting half an amp for the gig now!

Cheers

what speakers are they? is there room on the output plate for another socket? adding another socket is a fairly easy job, about 5 minutes work with a drill; a bit of wire and a soldering iron. you'd only need to add the socket to one to allow you to daisy chain the cabs.

Matt

It may not be the amplifier section at all, may just be a dry/fractured solder joint from the noise described. Some annular solder fractures can be quite hard to spot, a quick dab with some flux and an iron may well sort things out. This is a very common failure mode for electronic things subject to vibration. Nothing to lose at all.

Good point. I have no idea what class d stuff does when it breaks. No smoke or smell and not particularly hot. The fan still kicks in on startup so it appears the cooling is working, and wasn't running when the amp failed, leading me to believe that the amp didn't overheat. I need a new soldering iron anyway (fellow microsynth users will appreciate) so it's something I'll look into. Frankly the amp has been brilliant for clean power since I got it so a repair would leave me well chuffed and not out of pocket.

I'm wondering if I could connect the non-functioning speaker-out in the LG to the other working speaker-out in a way to put both cabs in parallel to = 4 ohm?

Cheers,

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

If the LG is like the Superfly it has two totally separate amps powered by the same power supply. Each amp is 4 ohm capable so running the 2 cabs in parallel from one amp.

The Superfly uses an amp/power module from Alto but I suspect a compete module would be difficult to get. If one amp is blown but the other is OK, it may be easy to fault find However many class D amps may be small enough to be retrofitted into the LG if needed.