Why become a member? ×

Deep impact "reissue" - Not sure if this has had its own thread on here yet

Jimryan

I signed up for the 2nd batch of these but I am thinking of withdrawing. I don't like the business with the artwork on this pedal just peeling off as it is just a vinyl decal, and the general comments of it feeling rather cheaply built really detract me from spending what in a huge investment in a pedal. I would want something built at least as well as a Deep Impact :huh: Any comments from owners on here re this subject?

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1454282504' post='2968292']
Any comments from owners on here re this subject?
[/quote]

I think the whole vinyl decal thing is a complete red herring. Mine is fine and dandy. I do not spend time looking at it. The "so called" cheaply built thing is also a red herring. I'm sure there are other companies out there who laser etch their boxes and have them put together by robots. However, there is no one out there making boxes that make these noises. I am MORE than happy with my bang for the buck on this pedal.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1454336194' post='2968668']

I think the whole vinyl decal thing is a complete red herring. Mine is fine and dandy. I do not spend time looking at it. The "so called" cheaply built thing is also a red herring. I'm sure there are other companies out there who laser etch their boxes and have them put together by robots. However, there is no one out there making boxes that make these noises. I am MORE than happy with my bang for the buck on this pedal.
[/quote]

That's more reassuring :)

Mine's fine too but it does look cheap, not surprised it's been problematic for some. The knobs feel flimsy too and the selector which you'd expect to be a rotary swich or encoder is just a pot for no obvious reason - that's the crappiest thing about it.

On the plus side it's got some amazing sounds in there.

The decal is definitely a step down from the more usual screen-printing, or other print technologies that we're used to with most pedals, but while I can see how it can become a bit messy round the corners, I can't imagine a level of abuse that will actually make the decal peel completely off or become otherwise unusable, and also, the pedal should still be perfectly usable even if it does peel off.

One thing that I did notice about my own pedal is that the rotary edit/bank knob sometimes "jumps" to the next setting "on its own", so yes - not the absolute best experience, but still a pretty negligible issue in practice.

Edited by ProfFrink

• 2 weeks later...

Mine's arrived..... and it sounds/works great!
As usual with these things - 90% of the sounds will never get used but the other 10% sound excellent. I'm looking forward to getting some of the [i]usable[/i] patches being created over at Talkbass to enhance its day to day capability....

It's worth installing an editor and tweaking the thing, the oscillators genuinely sound great, I find I'm using mine in ways that I never thought I'd get away with using a synth pedal.

It's almost a toss-up sometimes whether to play something with the FI or my Bass Station II, I often end up choosing whichever gives the most appropriate feel.

Hi Future Impact owners! I'm starting to think that this pedal might me just what I'm after; please can you have a listen to this track and let me know whether the FI gets into this territory?

Bass line starts around 0:36 and builds from there

https://m.soundcloud.com/jumanji-sound/soul-brother-1

Much obliged..

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1456945492' post='2993914']
Hi Future Impact owners! I'm starting to think that this pedal might me just what I'm after; please can you have a listen to this track and let me know whether the FI gets into this territory?

Bass line starts around 0:36 and builds from there

[url="https://m.soundcloud.com/jumanji-sound/soul-brother-1"]https://m.soundcloud.../soul-brother-1[/url]

Much obliged..
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it can do this sound, but not too sure about the way the filter is controlled. There's this "wobble" (if that's the right "word") that you'll probably need a hot-hand or an expression pedal for, and even with them I'm not sure how you'lll use them with the FI

Edited by ProfFrink

[quote name='ProfFrink' timestamp='1456950398' post='2994004']

I'm pretty sure it can do this sound, but not too sure about the way the filter is controlled. There's this "wobble" (if that's the right "word") that you'll probably need a hot-hand or an expression pedal for, and even with them I'm not sure how you'lll use them with the FI
[/quote]

Thanks for the response. Very useful

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1456959558' post='2994129']
Thanks for the response. Very useful ��
[/quote]
Are these question marks?

Sorry, my phrasing wasn't too clear. I meant that in the clip you posted there's more than just a synth. The player seems to be controlling some sort of filter, and I'm not sure how this is done. I'm actually not sure in at least two ways:[list]
[*]The filter control seems to shift pretty rapidly. I'm not sure you can do this with an expression pedal. Maybe you can with a bit of practice. I've seen people do some similar things with a hot-hand (google "Nathan Navarro hot hand" and skip to the parts where he wiggles his right arm a lot)
[*]Even when you do get the control part figured out - I'm not sure how you would feed this into the FI. It's supposed to respond to expression-pedal CC via MIDI, but I've never tried it and I'm not even sure this is implemented in the current firmware and/or whether it is "wired" to control the right parameter.
[/list]
Hope this is clearer (?? ;-)

Edited by ProfFrink

[quote name='ProfFrink' timestamp='1457045369' post='2994901']

Are these question marks?

Sorry, my phrasing wasn't too clear. I meant that in the clip you posted there's more than just a synth. The player seems to be controlling some sort of filter, and I'm not sure how this is done. I'm actually not sure in at least two ways:[list]
[*]The filter control seems to shift pretty rapidly. I'm not sure you can do this with an expression pedal. Maybe you can with a bit of practice. I've seen people do some similar things with a hot-hand (google "Nathan Navarro hot hand" and skip to the parts where he wiggles his right arm a lot)
[*]Even when you do get the control part figured out - I'm not sure how you would feed this into the FI. It's supposed to respond to expression-pedal CC via MIDI, but I've never tried it and I'm not even sure this is implemented in the current firmware and/or whether it is "wired" to control the right parameter.
[/list]
Hope this is clearer (?? ;-)
[/quote]

Sorry, it was a 'thumbs up' symbol on my phone! No idea why it shows as question marks on the forum! Thanks for the elaboration, also very useful! (Genuine and not in the least bit sarcastic)

I suspect, like with many of these DJ's the filter sweeping was done on the computer (Ableton?) where a huge variety of wobbles and sweeps can be saved and played as a recording. Not so easy to recreate live on bass, like you say :(

I'll have a look at the hot hand and what it's compatible with.

Edited by Roland Rock

Received mine yesterday... in typical man-style, i ignored the instructions, powered it up plugged in and messed about.. only running through a little 20w practice amp and filmed on the phone so sound and vid quality isn't perfect, and i only skimmed over a few of the sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZPhU8QwwW0

Tracks down to low E on some sounds, not all though.. tracking varies greatly depending on effect, often good though, you can hear struggle sometimes... When i get a chance I'll get into parameters and mess about a bit more to get some useable gigging noises..

• 1 month later...

I hate editors. I always get lost. And then regret starting.

I installed the editor. It works. I have no idea what to do with it. I then went to here [url="https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2_tqOG3lexBb0dMYTluOTczZUE&usp=drive_web"]https://drive.google...E&usp=drive_web[/url] and downloaded each folder to a folder on my computer. You have to open the page in Google drive and then right click on the folders with sounds and download them. If you open one folder from the FI then the FI will step through each patch in that folder so you do not keep having to load new sounds.

I have collected 80 sounds which seem like they would be useful from amongst all these. I have put the patches for them all in one folder and then will whack them onto the FI.

I am very proud of myself. Tragic but there you go.

I am only writing this to encourage people to get stuck in. There are some really good sounds in there if you audition them all. Many are much more useful than the stock sounds.

Edited by owen