Why become a member? ×

Deep impact "reissue" - Not sure if this has had its own thread on here yet

Jimryan

Mine landed last week!

[attachment=219478:DI_2.jpg]

[attachment=219479:DI_1.jpg]

Sounded really good when I cycled through the presets. Took forever to go through the 99 patches. There's SOOOOOOOO much stuff in there. The tracking is phenominal. Easily the best synth pedal I've used (even the original DI).

[attachment=219480:DI_3.jpg]

Used it in anger for the first time on Saturday night. We recorded the set off the desk and was so impressed at how it sat in the mix.

[attachment=219481:DI_4.jpg]

Will try and find time to get a more detailed review but in the meantime, here's some of the audio from the gig. Excuse the rubbish playing ;-)

[url="https://soundcloud.com/secondcitysoul/all-this-love-you-got-the-love"]https://soundcloud.c...ou-got-the-love[/url]

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1463419725' post='3051230']
I'm sure that I've read this somewhere already but can you change patches via Midi or is the MIdi functionality just for programming via the editor?
[/quote]

Here's the manual (not the quick start guide).

[url="http://gg.index.hu/pandamidi/FI_userguide-V122.pdf"]http://gg.index.hu/pandamidi/FI_userguide-V122.pdf[/url]

Any help?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1463419725' post='3051230']
I'm sure that I've read this somewhere already but can you change patches via Midi or is the MIdi functionality just for programming via the editor?
[/quote]

You can control pretty much everything via MIDI I think, although they didn't use CCs for modulating all the params because there aren't enough CCs!

You can also send it MIDI notes and play it from a keyboard or sequence it if you want. :)

Edited by AustinArto

Paid for the pedal last Friday and was assured it would be posted this week. Haven't received anything other than a message saying it would be posted this week on Tuesday... Is this normal? Seems a bit ridiculous that he hasn't shipped it yet!! (almost a week after)

Edited by funkyjimbob

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm decided that I'm using my Mac for effects from now on (we need a laptop on stage anyway and it makes it easier to have separate effects lines for my bass and my synth, plus potential for sequencing the synth) but it does mean selling my Future Impact if I'm not going to be using it.

I'm not sure how to price it given that it seems over-subscribed at the moment. Suggestions?

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1465513227' post='3068989']
I think I'm decided that I'm using my Mac for effects from now on (we need a laptop on stage anyway and it makes it easier to have separate effects lines for my bass and my synth, plus potential for sequencing the synth) but it does mean selling my Future Impact if I'm not going to be using it.

I'm not sure how to price it given that it seems over-subscribed at the moment. Suggestions?
[/quote]
Trading it may be an option?

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1465513227' post='3068989']

[/quote]

I doubt you will lose much money on it. Stick it in the classifieds .

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1478611044' post='3170265']
Can anyone with one of these tell me - If using with a MIDI Controller, do you have to use the MIDI output? Or can you plug a MIDI Keyboard into the input, then take the normal jack out and run through an amp?
[/quote]

The way I understand it, is that you use the midi controller to drive the synth and the output comes from the audio output that you would plug into the amp. In and out only need to be used when using the editor - this seems to be confirmed here - http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/pandamidi-future-impact

Annoyingly, the MIDI input doesn't seem to allow for patch changes, only note trigger and firmware update.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1478611044' post='3170265']
Can anyone with one of these tell me - If using with a MIDI Controller, do you have to use the MIDI output? Or can you plug a MIDI Keyboard into the input, then take the normal jack out and run through an amp?
[/quote]

Sounds a good idea - I'll try it at home tonight and report back.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1478611520' post='3170273']
The way I understand it, is that you use the midi controller to drive the synth and the output comes from the audio output that you would plug into the amp. In and out only need to be used when using the editor - this seems to be confirmed here - [url="http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/pandamidi-future-impact"]http://www.soundonso...i-future-impact[/url]

Annoyingly, the MIDI input doesn't seem to allow for patch changes, only note trigger and firmware update.
[/quote]

Thanks, that was helpful to read!

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1478611800' post='3170280']
Sounds a good idea - I'll try it at home tonight and report back.
[/quote]

Excellent, thanks mate!

Ok it works fine, on most of the patches. I've gone for basic setup - keyboard midi out > future impact midi in > future impact 1/4" out > amp.

I can control patch changes from the keyboard, I'm using a M Audio Oxygen 8. Looking at the manual I should be able to control a few more parameters too. I can't play chords.

There is an editor application that you can use to connect FI to a PC via midi (or USB I think) and modify the patches. It is actually designed to accept a midi OR bass signal.

If the bass guitar triggers the synth in it then I presume we could rig up a sustain pedal. Or could we? Obv not sustaining the bass guitar but a patch could be edited which would work nicely as a sustained note.

I have a Sonuus Voluum pedal to output midi clock to my Boss slicer and mess with filters in my FI so I guess I could program that to output the magic sustain midi number on a given patch.

• 2 weeks later...