Why become a member? ×

Deep impact "reissue" - Not sure if this has had its own thread on here yet

Jimryan

[quote name='lokki' timestamp='1449013633' post='2920175']
first samples are on youtube:

[url="https://youtu.be/G0A-3MnNrWw"]https://youtu.be/G0A-3MnNrWw[/url]
[/quote]

[color=#333333][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=3]"All instruments of the music what you hear now were recorded with Future Impact only.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=3]So the Deep Impact sounds were not recorded? :blink:[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1449088343' post='2920738']
[color=#333333][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=3]"All instruments of the music what you hear now were recorded with Future Impact only.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=3]So the Deep Impact sounds were not recorded? :blink:[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

no what he meant was, that the intro music was done completely with future impact sounds...

[quote name='lokki' timestamp='1449098793' post='2920833']
no what he meant was, that the intro music was done completely with future impact sounds...
[/quote]
ahh. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess it lost something in translation.

Does he mean the drum sounds too?

Edited by MacDaddy

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]ok, here are some demo sounds i programmed [/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]:-)[/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] i was just playing whatever came to my mind with the sound i had selected. was a little bit in a hurry so don't expect the greatest groove or lines or whatever....often i let the last note ring out, just so you get an idea how the sound develops and how well this thing tracks and how smoothly notes fade...[/font][/color]

https://soundcloud.com/simon-iten-294936446/sets/future-impact-demo

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]have fun. there are some sounds that only use the bass signal and envelope filter, no synth. it should be really obvious what is what. otherwise just ask. use headphones or a good p.a. [/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]:-)[/font][/color]

Yikes. I won't be buying one at that price I don't think (i thought I read $300 somewhere?), too much of a risk for something that is still basically a big question mark, but interested at how others get on.

Edited by Kev

[quote name='lokki' timestamp='1449224595' post='2921646']
[color=#141414]ok, here are some demo sounds i programmed [/color][color=#141414]:-)[/color][color=#141414] i was just playing whatever came to my mind with the sound i had selected. was a little bit in a hurry so don't expect the greatest groove or lines or whatever....often i let the last note ring out, just so you get an idea how the sound develops and how well this thing tracks and how smoothly notes fade...[/color]

[url="https://soundcloud.com/simon-iten-294936446/sets/future-impact-demo"]https://soundcloud.c...ure-impact-demo[/url]

[color=#141414]have fun. there are some sounds that only use the bass signal and envelope filter, no synth. it should be really obvious what is what. otherwise just ask. use headphones or a good p.a. [/color][color=#141414]:-)[/color]
[/quote]

This is absolutely amazing. Huge sound pallet and everything seems to work together perfectly. This probably blows all of the other options for bass synth right out of the water AFAICT.

Any chance you'll be sharing these presets?

Well, primarily there have been many pedals issued that sound excellent in demo's but when coming to play just don't have the same 'vibe' and simplicity as a Deep Impact. This does sound more like it, and the original developer is involved, however until I have tried one in the flesh it is difficult, particularly when this appears to be the first pedal Panda Audio have actually released. At a £300 price point, it is a huge risk for the buyer and I was really hoping for something much more competitive. The last of the Deep Impacts were selling at clearance for around £89 as I recall. Digitech re-released the Bass Whammy at a great price point (very similar vintage appeal/price to Deep Impact), its sold well and killed the vintage Bass Whammy prices. I don't think this will kill the Deep Impact off, unless it really is as good as you describe.

What would have perhaps been a great idea is to sell the first XX number at a lower price so you have a few of the pedals out there to be reviewed by DI users, which would really help drive up the interest and willingess to spend big bucks.

I have not listened to your demo yet, it may change my mind :)

Edited by Kev

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1449229332' post='2921720']
Well, primarily there have been many pedals issued that sound excellent in demo's but when coming to play just don't have the same 'vibe' and simplicity as a Deep Impact. This does sound more like it, and the original developer is involved, however until I have tried one in the flesh it is difficult, particularly when this appears to be the first pedal Panda Audio have actually released. At a £300 price point, it is a huge risk for the buyer and I was really hoping for something much more competitive. The last of the Deep Impacts were selling at clearance for around £89 as I recall. Digitech re-released the Bass Whammy at a great price point (very similar vintage appeal/price to Deep Impact), its sold well and killed the vintage Bass Whammy prices. I don't think this will kill the Deep Impact off, unless it really is as good as you describe.

What would have perhaps been a great idea is to sell the first XX number at a lower price so you have a few of the pedals out there to be reviewed by DI users, which would really help drive up the interest and willingess to spend big bucks.

I have not listened to your demo yet, it may change my mind :)
[/quote]

yeah well, it's hard to argue about the price. listen to the demos, i was literally blown away myself! i think now that the price is justified it is so much more than the deep impact, which only sold at £89 because nobody wanted them anymore :-) but i can understand that it seems to be a high price. keep in mind that the dev does all the work on his own, so basically it's a one man business. considering boutique pedals selling at 350$... well i think the price is ok :-)

i have only played the original once on a stage. i would say it is at least as good probably more robust. tracking also depends a little on the sounds you program.
the sounds on the d.i. all have some clean blended in which masks some glitches. the sounds i recorded are mostly without clean blend, so that is the worst tracking you can get... :-)

I think the price is about right for a boutique pedal which puts out a pretty impressive and unique sound pallet and that has no real competition. Boss is selling their SY-300 for a lot more, and I haven't heard anything remotely similar coming out of it in any demo.

Yes there are some unknowns regarding production quality and availability, but these will hopefully be out of the way after the first few batches.

lokki - Do you know if this is a "limited run", or generally how they plan to make it available after the first release?

[quote name='lokki' timestamp='1449229677' post='2921726']
yeah well, it's hard to argue about the price. listen to the demos, i was literally blown away myself! i think now that the price is justified it is so much more than the deep impact, which only sold at £89 because nobody wanted them anymore :-) but i can understand that it seems to be a high price. keep in mind that the dev does all the work on his own, so basically it's a one man business. considering boutique pedals selling at 350$... well i think the price is ok :-)
[/quote]

Fair points, I didn't actually reaslise it was [i]just[/i] him. Must have been some outlay for him to set this up! Are you sure that it isn't a larger company that builds these, or at least the enclosures, for him?

In that case, any idea how many he is able to make? There will no doubt be plenty ordering this as soon as it is available (perhaps more on TB than here), has he discussed delivery times e.t.c. yet?

well the enclosures were drawn and planned by him, i don't think he melted the aluminium on it's own :-) but, still getting only 100 enclosures from a melting company costs much more then 10000 or so.

it's actually hard to guess the market i think. bass synth pedals are a niche. bass playing is already a niche :-) but i also think this pedal should sell like crazy!!!