Why become a member? ×

Deep impact "reissue" - Not sure if this has had its own thread on here yet

Jimryan

Morning all,

Been looking around online this morning and found this. Wasn't sure if there's been a thread on here yet, but noticed a very long one on TB. Anyone know any more on these? Depending on the price, I'm definitely interested in trying one. Always fancied trying a deep impact but I'm not too keen on the price.

http://pandamidi.com/bass-guitar-synth/

Edited by Jimryan

Oh no! Not another milli-thread about this :facepalm:

Seriously though, I'm still waiting to hear real demos, but if everything turns out as expected it may be a real treat for all us synth-lovers, especially after the seemingly general disappointment with the Boss SY-300 (though I'm still waiting for someone to actually give it a fair shot with a bass).

BTW, you may want to change the title. Edit: to put the name of the pedal nearer to the beginning (didn't see it at first glance

Edited by ProfFrink

As those of us searching for a Deep Impact replacement have learned over the years, the thing that makes the pedal so special is the experience of using it. The simplicity of use, the warmth and quality of its presets and the quality of its tracking allows distraction free playing. Conversely, the Octavius Squeezer also showed us that complicated does not mean a better user experience.

"[i]While the distortion of the Deep Impact runs at 32 kHz sampling rate, it is 128 kHz on the FI I., giving much cleaner distortion, free of any digital artifacts."[/i]
Phrases like this don't inspire confidence either - the Deep Impact was never equipped with a distortion circuit (thank goodness).

So my jury is out until I've actually had a chance to test one. However, I'm hopeful...! Would love for them to include a tap tempo controlled arpeggiator.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1447258461' post='2906205']
As those of us searching for a Deep Impact replacement have learned over the years, the thing that makes the pedal so special is the experience of using it. The simplicity of use, the warmth and quality of its presets and the quality of its tracking allows distraction free playing. Conversely, the Octavius Squeezer also showed us that complicated does not mean a better user experience.[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head buddy.

I really hope this works. I just can't see it, and the price is too high for it not to be good enough, considering the retail price of the DI. In fact, the price is very high, when you consider DI was selling for £80 odd street at the end. Can't mark up due to rarity factor of the original! Digitech got that right with the bass whammy.

This has been discussed here
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/250955-akai-deep-impact-to-be-reissuedredeveloped/

and i've been following the TB thread ever since. It looks like the real deal and i'll be buying one when released if funds allow. I was hoping for something a bit cheaper, 400€ is a lot for an fx unit...

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1447258461' post='2906205']
As those of us searching for a Deep Impact replacement have learned over the years, the thing that makes the pedal so special is the experience of using it. The simplicity of use, the warmth and quality of its presets and the quality of its tracking allows distraction free playing. Conversely, the Octavius Squeezer also showed us that complicated does not mean a better user experience.

"[i]While the distortion of the Deep Impact runs at 32 kHz sampling rate, it is 128 kHz on the FI I., giving much cleaner distortion, free of any digital artifacts."[/i]
Phrases like this don't inspire confidence either - the Deep Impact was never equipped with a distortion circuit (thank goodness).

So my jury is out until I've actually had a chance to test one. However, I'm hopeful...! Would love for them to include a tap tempo controlled arpeggiator.
[/quote]

this is simply not true!!!

i'm the one that started the thread over at talkbass and have the prototype. i had long discussions with the original developer of the deep impact. there was always distortion in the deep impact as well as unibass features. they just sit well in the mix with the synth tones. you don't necessarily hear them, but they have a huge impact (pun intended) on tracking and feeling.

[quote name='lokki' timestamp='1447417109' post='2907495']
this is simply not true!!!

i'm the one that started the thread over at talkbass and have the prototype. i had long discussions with the original developer of the deep impact. there was always distortion in the deep impact as well as unibass features. they just sit well in the mix with the synth tones. you don't necessarily hear them, but they have a huge impact (pun intended) on tracking and feeling.
[/quote]

I'll have to give you the benefit of the doubt on that given I'm not a techie. From my perspective as a user and based on the information in the public domain, the Deep Impact was never marketed as having a distortion circuit and distortion was never listed as one of the user defined parameters. (Unlike the Unibass which is all about distortion.)

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1447422631' post='2907558']
There's obviously demand for the original Deep Impact pedals, if Korg don't want to make them anymore why don't they let someone else under license?
[/quote]

I'm sure Akai would have something to say about it all.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if the long outdated microchips in there were available in any significant quantities to warrant production.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1447424326' post='2907574']
I'm sure Akai would have something to say about it all.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if the long outdated microchips in there were available in any significant quantities to warrant production.
[/quote]
I cant' remember where I read it - perhaps TB, but Akai were approached and weren't interested, perhaps because of the microchip issue...? But I'd find it hard to believe more modern equivalents weren't available even if a few tweaks to other components were needed. It may simply be a lack of political will as much as anything, maybe the company has decided to focus on a more profitable market.

the main reasons the pedal will not be reissued by akai are twofold. first the market it not big enough...never was. and second they don't have andras (the dev) on board anymore. he works for his own company and for fishman now. that is why i approached him and he agreed to do the reissue with his small company. he has the source code from the old version, so his reissue is definitely going to be very legit! he uses a new chip, faster and more available/modern. the chip is far more powerful, but he emulated the old chip behaviour to get the sounds from the deep impact into the new pedal. (non perfect filter response and such) they are stored on preset 0-9. 10-99 are free for new, powerful sounds exceeding the possibilities of the deep impact by a factor 100 or whatever :-)

Having never owned, or even had the chance to try out, an original SB-1, I'm not too bothered if it's not [i]exactly[/i] the same as the original model. Close enough to fool most people, and with a host of upgraded feature sounds like good selling points to me...

There is a worry that, it being a smaller company, not too many of these will be made, making this rarer than the Deep Impact!

I hope it isn't like the DI personally. I hope that there is much improvement. Yes, make a nod to, or even an emulation of the DI... but with all the extra processing on board, it would be wasteful not to make something better than the DI... which in reality, is a pretty overrated pedal but grown to cult status as it's probably the best of the bunch. I'm very interested - I'm kinda hoping that it will make a great alternative to carrying a synth around... but I suspect the physics of the instrument and getting the tracking right will put pay to that.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='lokki' timestamp='1447428920' post='2907642']
i found tracking to be very good on the test unit i have. it is monophonic, but most bass synths are. i can guarantee you the power of the processor is pretty well used :-) there are quite some new things sound wise.
[/quote]

That's great to hear. All this DI clone stuff is BS. We should be moving on from there... or at least having the DI available as a "retro" option with a whole palette of new stuff :)

Can't wait to hear it... and if it tracks well, superb. I'd expect it to be mono tracking... but low down tracking has always been a bit of an issue for most pedals.

Anyway, keep us updated.