Why become a member? ×

Trying to ship to N Scotland

alembic1989

Hi,
Can anyone help me out here! I'm trying to send a bass to N Scotland...trouble is all my usual couriers can't help..as it's classified as " Highlands and Islands" ..and they are also saying that the parcel is too large.
Can anyone recommend a courier?....inter parcel..and parcel2go...can't help.

I am driving up to nr Grantown on Spey on 21st November if that helps? It will need to be picked up from there between Monday to Wednesday during daytime if that helps? Those dates are fixed and it is unlikely I will be up again for some time. Me being lazy, you would also have to get it to me nr Buckingham before then. Preferably boxed as it will have to fit in with all the stuff, incl dog, I am taking up.

I will not be able to bring it back down, however, should the recipient not want it.

As a resident of the "Highlands and Islands", it continually pi55e5 me off that all the major courier companies seem to believe that the UK mainland stops about 10 miles north of Perth, and the rest of the Highlands is an isolated backwater.

The best courier to use for this part of the world is ParcelForce, love them or hate them, they're the best courier to use, and usually costs around £25 (depening on the level of insurance you get). I always use them if I'm sending instruments I've sold online.

What gets my goat about the major courier companies, is that they all have depots nearby, they all have a fleet of vehicles, but they charge extra because they sub-contract all the deliveries and local collections to the local courier company.

While Parcel Force will deliver for a reasonable price, musical instruments are not covered by their insurance. Beware.

It surprises me that UPS via InterParcel will deliver to all sorts of places all over the world, but bring to get them to take a parcel to anywhere in Scotland other than Edinburgh or Glasgow or any UK island is completely futile.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1447170947' post='2905506']
As a resident of the "Highlands and Islands", it continually pi55e5 me off that all the major courier companies seem to believe that the UK mainland stops about 10 miles north of Perth, and the rest of the Highlands is an isolated backwater.

The best courier to use for this part of the world is ParcelForce, love them or hate them, they're the best courier to use, and usually costs around £25 (depening on the level of insurance you get). I always use them if I'm sending instruments I've sold online.

What gets my goat about the major courier companies, is that they all have depots nearby, they all have a fleet of vehicles, but they charge extra because they sub-contract all the deliveries and local collections to the local courier company.
[/quote]

This! I'm sick of being told I live on an island. I don't Then it's extra to post to the Highlands and Islands. We have couriers coming here everyday, a few times a day and yet they treat us like we live in Timbuktu !

[size=5][sub]Buckie is just along from Inverness. This should not be an issue for any courier service. Its normally an issue if its to go to the Islands because of ferry costs but not Moray Firth about an hour (50miles) east of Inverness along the A96. They are taking the piss and should be reported to someone for this crap.[/sub][/size]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1447173111' post='2905525']
...It surprises me that UPS via InterParcel will deliver to all sorts of places all over the world, but bring to get them to take a parcel to anywhere in Scotland other than Edinburgh or Glasgow or any UK island is completely futile.
[/quote]

If you deal with UPS directly I'm sure they'll sort it out

Alternatively if you know someone who works at a company that ships goods out all the time, they would sort it out for you. I'm a bit far away, but I always ship stuff on the company account with whichever courier, and just pay the company back

[quote name='Lysdexia' timestamp='1447174997' post='2905553']
I know because my keyboard player moved to Elgin - [b]driving up via the Great Glen and Loch Ness feels eternal.[/b]
[/quote]
That's a long way round for a shortcut. I used to go up to Elgin often. Head up the A9, cut off at Aviemore & head along the A95.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1447329626' post='2906711']
Insurance is included up to about £300, more than that costs extra. Sent quite a few guitars south using ParcelForce, and have always been able to insure them without any problems.
[/quote]

I've read here that they have a specific exclusion for musical instruments, but they don't mention it and sell you the insurance anyway, therefore you've paid for insurance, but weren't covered

Insurance is included up to about £300, more than that costs extra. Sent quite a few guitars south using ParcelForce, and have always been able to insure them without any problems.
[/quote]

They'll quite happily sell you insurance that won't pay out - musical instruments are mentioned explicitly in the exclusions:
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica,][size=1]
[b]Musical instruments[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica,][size=1]
Musical instruments are excluded from enhanced compensation.[/size][/font][/color]

Taken from http://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/sending/items-we-exclude-compensation

[/quote]

Instruments are [b]specifically excluded [/b]from enhanced insurance (i.e. over £100) with parcelforce. They will still sell you the insurance anyway. This seems like fraud to me, but they seem to get away with it.

[url="http://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/sending/items-we-exclude-compensation"]http://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/sending/items-we-exclude-compensation[/url]

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1447329950' post='2906716']
They'll quite happily sell you insurance that won't pay out - musical instruments are mentioned explicitly in the exclusions:

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica,][size=1][b]Musical instruments[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica,][size=1]Musical instruments are excluded from enhanced compensation.[/size][/font][/color]

Taken from [url="http://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/sending/items-we-exclude-compensation"]http://www.parcelfor...de-compensation[/url]
[/quote]

From that site, we can see that the exclusion of musical instruments is from 'enhanced' compensation, that's to say, extra that one pays for. Useless, then to pay extra for insurance. The instrument [i]is[/i], however, covered by the [i]included [/i]insurance of up to £100 or £200, depending on the exact method of service used. Basses are, then, insured, but for no more than that amount.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1447330426' post='2906726']
From that site, we can see that the exclusion of musical instruments is from 'enhanced' compensation, that's to say, extra that one pays for. Useless, then to pay extra for insurance. The instrument [i]is[/i], however, covered by the [i]included [/i]insurance of up to £100 or £200, depending on the exact method of service used. Basses are, then, insured, but for no more than that amount.
[/quote]

I didn't say they weren't covered, I was objecting to the fact that the post office do not enquire as to the contents of the parcel and happily sell people insurance which will never pay out. Also, £100 of insurance is pretty useless for many basses, I'd guess the majority of ones which trade around here. Suffice to say that ParcelForce are wholly unsuitable for the couriering of all but the most inexpensive musical instruments - can we agree upon that?

Edited by neepheid

I had an NS upright shipped to me from falling in2 infinity valued at £1200. UPS were the only ones who would specifically insure the instrument for the full value. Can't remember how much extra it cost but he had to go to UPS direct rather than through one of the parcel2go sites.