Why become a member? ×

Black nylon tapewound strings for Stagg EUB?

Paul S

I like the sound and feel of black nylon tapewound strings on my electro-acoustic bass and, when I had one, fretless bass. So, in an idle moment this afternoon I wondered if you could get similar for EUB/double bass and it seems you can.

Thomann list these Pyramids: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/pyramid_black_tape_nylon_double_bass_s.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/pyramid_black_tape_nylon_double_bass_s.htm[/url] which seem pretty good value. Has anyone tried them and, if so, got any opinions? Are there better ones to be had?

Ta :)

[quote name='petebassist' timestamp='1447174964' post='2905552']
I love the sound of the bass on the theforgottenworks sample tracks - what did you use for 'tangle' in terms of bass, pickup, recording method etc?
That's a great tone.
[/quote]

Cheers! It's my old German/Bohemian flatbacked bass with Spirocore Mittels. We just used the internal stereo mics on a Tascam DR40 for this recording, quite close to the bass at about the height of the end of the fingerboard. (I hope Paul S doesn't mind the digression!)

Innovation Rockabillys are a smooth black nylon tapewound.
Nice thumpy sound for bluegrass, country and, surprisingly, rockabilly type music.
Reasonably good top end but obviously not as articulate as a higher tension metal string.
Don't bow very well but it's doable producing quite a dark growlly tone.

Haven't tried this particular brand, but I had a set of black nylon wound strings on my Stagg EUB (sold some time back)
They were nice strings (sadly, I can't recall the make, as I bought them slightly used)

They were lower tension and much easier to play pizz than the Stagg stock strings, With a nice "dark" sound a low growly tones
But very difficult to bow, without "rolling". Bear in mind that I don't really play with a bow -
but as I was trying to learn to play with a bow, it was quite off-putting......

Thanks for posting that link, as this seems a good price for those wishing to try nylon wound strings :)

Thank you. Using similar dimensions from the Stagg, bridge to nut A = 41.5", tailpiece to bridge B = 12" , so A+B= 53.5". nut to tuning peg C = 5", or 2.5" to the start of the silk.

From that, Innovation 3/4 and 7/8 are both the same size and would fit.

Edited by Paul S

In view of all that I've just bought a set of Innovation Rockabilly strings - Bonners music store on eBay had them for £75 which seems a pretty good price. :)

Thanks for the input! I'm going on holiday tomorrow so I won't get to try them for a bit but I'll report back once I've fitted them.

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted them just now. As predicted the silks were overhanging the nut by a fair bit so I took the bridge off and mounted it as little further up on the body. No detrimental effects, it seems, and the strings fit just nicely now.

They feel great and, at home level practice, sound much better than the mis-matched strings that were on there when I bought it. Have to say they look pretty cool too.

[attachment=205618:eub1.jpg]

Edit - i don't mean I moved the bridge, do I. The tailpiece.

Edited by Paul S