Why become a member? ×

need clean pristine sound for practise/recording

zawinul

Hi peeps im a non gigging bassist just need a very clean amp to use with effects etc for practise amd recording

in past ive used roland jazz chorus as that was so cryatal clear

any suggestions. .. not interested in low thump only mids and top end singing. ..

will use only active basses

cheers

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1447200403' post='2905825']
because I have an electric bass which needs amplification!!!
[/quote]

Sorry, maybe I wasn't being clear enough. I, too, have electric basses which need amplification (despite being a drummer...), but I practise and record using a headset, plugged into an interface, into my PC, and can get a very clean tone that way (I'm not interested in 'grind' or 'dirt'; only clean, and being direct, it doesn't come any cleaner than that..!). When rehearsing with the band, I use an amp and cab (still clean, of course...), but don't need that for playing the bass. I'm not trying to be facetious, just wondering if your needs differed in some way. Sorry if it comes across badly. Why [i]do [/i]you need an amp for practising and recording..?

Edited by Dad3353

Guest bassman7755

As dad says, if you want a "pristine" sound for home practice and recording then your best bet is bass -> audio interface -> computer -> hifi/monitors, since any actual bass combo/rig that will come close to being pristine sounding is going to be expensive and its expensive because clean sound reproduction at high volumes takes a lot of expensive engineering and that engineering that you don't need if you don't need the volume.

In some ways I consider a bass rig a necessary evil and the "best" rig is one that degrades the sound the least amount in the process of bringing it up to gigging volume. The cab is usually the weak link therefore the first bit of the signal chain I discard when I don't require the volume.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1447207431' post='2905846']

Sorry, maybe I wasn't being clear enough. I, too, have electric basses which need amplification (despite being a drummer...), but I practise and record using a headset, plugged into an interface, into my PC, and can get a very clean tone that way (I'm not interested in 'grind' or 'dirt'; only clean, and being direct, it doesn't come any cleaner than that..!). When rehearsing with the band, I use an amp and cab (still clean, of course...), but don't need that for playing the bass. I'm not trying to be facetious, just wondering if your needs differed in some way. Sorry if it comes across badly. Why [i]do [/i]you need an amp for practising and recording..?
[/quote]

ah I see your point. I may do direct recording but I also want to listen to myself playing through an amp and effects so just want a decent clean amp

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1447373102' post='2907259']
ah I see your point. I may do direct recording but I also want to listen to myself playing through an amp and effects so just want a decent clean amp
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485]

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1447405718' post='2907333']
TC Electronic BH250 , which has the toneprint facility so you can play around with different effects at no cost to see what wotks best.....? I don't have one so can't offer more advice, but looks like it would fit the bill.
[/quote]

+1
TC Electronics do a variety of sizes and power and the sound is wonderfully clean. I have one as a practice amp. Its gorgeous.

Don't buy a bass amp.

Clean is a subjective term, what you are asking for is flat. The sound of the bass DI'd into the PA, though when you hear your bass through a ruler flat system you may decide you did want subjectively 'clean'. Your best bet for the DI'd sound is a PA amp and speaker. For that budget you could buy something like a single RCF or similar. Maybe a good quality floor monitor.

I'm guessing that you have monitored through good quality headphones? If not I'd try it just to check that this really is the sound you want.

Don't go for a cheap quality PA though, the bass drivers often won't handle high levels of bass due to limited excursion on the bass driver.

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently picked up an Ampeg SCR-DI which does everything you need. Being a DI box it is great for recording and it comes with an aux in and headphone out so it can be used for practice too. Sound wise it's pretty much classic Ampeg - check my review in the review-section of these here forums for a full rundown and some sound-samples (please excuse the background noise on the sound samples btw, it was down to the poor audio-interface I used and not the DI box).