Why become a member? ×

9v lighting solution.

NancyJohnson

Anyone got a decent heads up on how to add a light to their board?

Really don't want to go the battery route...I have spare 9v power outlets available on my PSU and would prefer to utilise one of these. Only other requirements would be that it's clip on (or can be attached semi-permanently) and has a flexible neck.

Mighty Bright stuff is nice, but there's battery/voltage issues. Need overhead illumination, not a string of lights/LEDs.

P

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1447280670' post='2906439']
These

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/88G-9-LED-Flexible-Clip-on-Music-Stand-Reading-Light-Bed-Table-Desk-Lamp-Black-/252117153410?hash=item3ab35a7682:g:kBAAAOSw5ZBWFeWt

or just search led reading light on the bay
[/quote]

Agreed.

Make sure it's a DC powered light.

Cut off the plug and solder a barrel jack on the end

Pow a light

Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1447280670' post='2906439']
These

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/88G-9-LED-Flexible-Clip-on-Music-Stand-Reading-Light-Bed-Table-Desk-Lamp-Black-/252117153410?hash=item3ab35a7682:g:kBAAAOSw5ZBWFeWt

or just search led reading light on the bay
[/quote]

Not 9V though (?)

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1447315428' post='2906562']
Not 9V though (?)
[/quote]

Why does it need to be 9v..? The one linked to has its own accus on board, and would only require recharging every few days, either with its own charger, or with the USB cable supplied. Is that not a suitable option..?

Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1447332913' post='2906760']

Why does it need to be 9v..? The one linked to has its own accus on board, and would only require recharging every few days, either with its own charger, or with the USB cable supplied. Is that not a suitable option..?
[/quote]

Sure, I would probably use a battery.

However, the OP said no battery and prefer to use a 9V outlet. ;)

I'm just not a fan of the battery route, although I suspect it's going to be the way I'll end up going.

My board is powered by small (Harley Benton/Thomann) brick; I have one spare 9v power outlet available and and would just like to utilise that for an overhead light. I have zero space under the board for three pin plugs or adaptors.

P

I think I might take a trip to Maplin tomorrow. I can probably build a prototype of this quite cheaply; the light connection is BNC, so I can pick up a gooseneck lamp and a D-sized panel for £14.50 the pair. I have everything else I think - latching footswitch and the casing (albeit plastic). The only downside is that it's 12v. I'm kind of hoping that I'll get something out of it at reduced power.

I have it running 12v at the moment, so an extra power cable to the board. I did hook it up to 9v, but it's not bright enough. Long-term I'll probably upgrade the PSU to one that has a 12v out as well.

I'd be happy making these up for anyone who wanted one - I'm sure I could source the individual components cheaper than going to Maplins.

P

I have a large box of bulbs that came to me when we cleared out my dad's garage when he died (22 years ago last week...jeepers). I might have look through that tonight to see whether there's any bulb alternatives; the 12v is fine, more than enough, but 9v would be better.

Wondering whether I could use 12v with a higher wattage to run at 9v for lower output.

Edited by NancyJohnson

• 4 weeks later...