Why become a member? ×

Stingray vs Sterling

3V17C

so for a while now i've been semi-GASsing for a Stingray, but now I've kinda got my eye on a Sterling instead (mainly because you see fewer of them around and I don't like the metal control plate on a Stingray). I was just wondering what the actual differences between them were and peoples thoughts on the subject.....

also I was wondering what the deal was with picking a colour etc.... looking on the ernie ball website i see you can pretty much mix and match finishes, pickguards etc but obviously a shop probably wouldn't stock the exact one I would want

fire away....

c

Edited by 3V17C

[quote name='3V17C' post='29132' date='Jul 9 2007, 03:18 PM']so for a while now i've been semi-GASsing for a Stingray, but now I've kinda got my eye on a Sterling instead (mainly because you see fewer of them around and I don't like the metal control plate on a Stingray). I was just wondering what the actual differences between them were and peoples thoughts on the subject.....[/quote]

I've got a Sterling and think it's absolutely fabulous. Brought it as I wanted a Stingray with a bit of extra flexibility but have since come to realise it's not just a downsized 'Ray, it's got it's own personality.

The neck's a marginally bit skinnier than a standard 'Ray but I don't think there's that much in it. The downsized body makes it easier to fit around my rapidly expanding mid-drift and the surface mounted controls certainly look tidier in my humble opinion.

The Series/Single/Parallel switching is really useful for varying the sound of the bass, however, the luddite in me tends to leave it in one position so i'd have been equally at home with the 'Ray in the first place with the odd tonal change from the 3 band EQ. I've since changed the stock pickup for a marvellous Nordstrand 4.3 and it's made a great bass even better with that lovely toppy funky pre Ernie Ball 'Ray sound.

[quote name='3V17C' post='29132' date='Jul 9 2007, 03:18 PM']also I was wondering what the deal was with picking a colour etc.... looking on the ernie ball website i see you can pretty much mix and match finishes, pickguards etc but obviously a shop probably wouldn't stock the exact one I would want[/quote]

In terms of the finish, if you're after something specific which they don't have in store, it could be worth asking the store to call the distributor (I think it's still Strings & Things here in the UK) just in case they have one in stock. This'll take a little longer to get but they'll should be happy to sort this out for you. That's if they're a good retailer....if they can't be bothered, take your custom else where! ;-)

HTH

Tony

Well Tony has said it all there, so I don't have much to add other than the fact that if I was to buy a new Ernie Ball I would go for a Sterling to be honest. Kiwi calls them 'a womans stingray' which I think is pretty immature ^_^ :ph34r:

Pretty much been said....I swapped from 'Ray to Sterling last year and, while I occasionally hanker after the 'Ray, I don't regret the change. Plenty of tone variation, the neck is one of the fastest in the business and the balance is great. Can still get 'down and dirty' - not like a Thumb or a 2 band Ray but good enough, plus it has a bit more flexibility than the other 2.

Don't worry about the colour, you want black with a black pickguard, all you need to think about is RW or maple neck.

I've got one of each and the main difference for me is that the Sterling has more mids than my 2 band Ray and punches through the mix a lot better. It's also more versatile tonewise and has a higher output than the Ray but the Nordstrand pup installed might have something to do with that.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='29253' date='Jul 9 2007, 07:06 PM']I've got one of each and the main difference for me is that the Sterling has more mids than my 2 band Ray and punches through the mix a lot better. It's also more versatile tonewise and has a higher output than the Ray but the Nordstrand pup installed might have something to do with that.[/quote]
You've got a Sterling, eh? Ooh...I'll keep a lookout for that in the For Sale section then. Surely only a matter of days, eh? Haha. :)

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='29268' date='Jul 9 2007, 06:28 PM']You've got a Sterling, eh? Ooh...I'll keep a lookout for that in the For Sale section then. Surely only a matter of days, eh? Haha. :huh:[/quote]

I have and it's a beaut...and no you can't have it. :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2010"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2010[/url]

I think the Sterling is the best bass MusicMan do. just the right amount of growl and wood in the tone and the neck is my ideal shape.I leave it in parallel 90% of the time but i quite like the other 2 settings too
versus the Ray,well tonyf said it already,however I do notice a big difference in the necks.The Sterling is narrower at the nut and defo feels thicker front to back.I'd say its a deeper C shape than the Ray.If choosing between them to buy, I'd say the neck is the biggest deciding factor,I like the Rays neck profile but I love the Sterlings...but then again i always much preferred a J neck over a P.
DJ

[quote name='Toasted' post='29581' date='Jul 10 2007, 09:07 AM']I dont think I'd be able to resist the extra £500 for Status neck and Nordy pickup tho...[/quote]

Well that ones easily solved because you can't get a Status neck for a Sterling. :)

[quote name='obbm' post='29589' date='Jul 10 2007, 09:16 AM']Well that ones easily solved because you can't get a Status neck for a Sterling. :)[/quote]
Anyone have a 'Ray with a Status neck? Interested in what the tone difference/sustain etc... would be.

[quote name='Rayman' post='31119' date='Jul 13 2007, 10:10 AM']I believe OBBM has one.[/quote]

Correct.

Unmistakable a Stingray but with overtones of carbon fibre. Loads of sustain. Very punchy. Rarely needs adjustment. This one doesn't have the standard factory pre-amp or pick-up. They'd been changed before I bought it so a direct comparison is difficult.

(BP if you read this maybe you can help me try and get the electronics back to original)

[quote name='3V17C' post='29132' date='Jul 9 2007, 03:18 PM']also I was wondering what the deal was with picking a colour etc.... looking on the ernie ball website i see you can pretty much mix and match finishes, pickguards etc but obviously a shop probably wouldn't stock the exact one I would want
fire away....
c[/quote]

The dealer should be able to order the whatever colour and neck options you want. Either the distributor will have one in stock or they can assemble one from stock items, or failing that they can order it from the factory. Mine took about four weeks to arrive from the US, which I thought was worth it to get exactly what I wanted.

Colour wise, my favourite Sterlings are electric blue with black plate, white with black plate, honeyburst with black plate or transparent teal with white plate. I also really like the black onyx one, but they were a special edition and probably a bit hard to find.

I don't want to add to your dilemma, but have you thought about the H, H/H & H/S pickup options?

I remember Jim Glennie of James saying that the Sterling became his main bass because it's lighter, and cuts through a mix very well. That sound is the main reason I got in to James in the first place, and I wouldn't look down my nose at one.

[quote name='obbm' post='31129' date='Jul 13 2007, 10:27 AM']Correct.

Unmistakable a Stingray but with overtones of carbon fibre. Loads of sustain. Very punchy. Rarely needs adjustment. This one doesn't have the standard factory pre-amp or pick-up. They'd been changed before I bought it so a direct comparison is difficult.

(BP if you read this maybe you can help me try and get the electronics back to original)[/quote]

:) Thanks for that! now i want one of those!

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='32921' date='Jul 17 2007, 10:46 AM']The Nordstrand pup is the most often suggested one. It's an exact copy of the original pre Ernie Ball MM pups IIRC. Sounds monstrous on my Sterling.[/quote]

+1 on the Nordstrand 4.3 in the Sterling. It's absolutely fabulous sounding, absolutely nails the classic PreEB sound but still allows one the flexibility of the "extra" Sterling sounds.

T