Why become a member? ×

Compression poll do you use it?

Damonjames

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1447344624' post='2906918']
or maybe we do understand it but just don't like it :)
[/quote]

If the statement is 'compression kills dynamics' then that's just wrong, unfortunately.

If you're saying - no, I don't like it - absolutely fine!

If it's useful for recording or FOH, it's useful at source. It just depends exactly who it is that understands the effect and how to use it. It on stage it's not required by the player, that's fine. If the player prefers to use it, that's fine too. I've never understood this particular 'rule' that some trot out (either '[i]must [/i]use' or '[i]never [/i]use'...); folks have differing styles, needs and perceptions. Is that difficult to accept..? I play drums. My drums are often (but not always...) compressed to some degree somewhere in the chain, by competent sound techs or by myself, if I'm mixing. It's an element of a sound system, that's all.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1447343673' post='2906905']
Anyone got a good example of compression making a bassline sound better so I can judge if I'm missing out on anything?
[/quote]

Has there ever been a recorded bass sound that did not use compression ??.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1447345024' post='2906923']
If it's useful for recording or FOH, it's useful at source. It just depends exactly who it is that understands the effect and how to use it. It on stage it's not required by the player, that's fine. If the player prefers to use it, that's fine too. I've never understood this particular 'rule' that some trot out (either '[i]must [/i]use' or '[i]never [/i]use'...); folks have differing styles, needs and perceptions. Is that difficult to accept..? I play drums. My drums are often (but not always...) compressed to some degree somewhere in the chain, by competent sound techs or by myself, if I'm mixing. It's an element of a sound system, that's all.
[/quote]

Indeed! Whatever works is fine! I've played bass quite a few times without compression, especially when I CBA to carry my pedalboard!

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1447345478' post='2906928']
Has there ever been a recorded bass sound that did not use compression ??.
[/quote]

No

EDIT: Well, it's probably debatable in that there are different ways to get compression, and you might not always be doing it on purpose. Any distortion will give you a form of compression, for example. But yeh, I would say for the last 20 years at least, there hasn't been a record mixed which didn't have a compressor somewhere in the chain affecting the bass

Edited by cheddatom

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1447342778' post='2906894']
just bought a Trace Elliot with built in 'dual band compression' it certainly makes it louder but I can do that with the volume control so I'm not sure about it.
[/quote]

Up to a certain point a good compressor makes little or no audible difference but it does make the signal a lot more friendly to an amplification/recording signal path (including the speaker).

[quote name='Mike' timestamp='1447344835' post='2906920']
If the statement is 'compression kills dynamics' then that's just wrong, unfortunately.

If you're saying - no, I don't like it - absolutely fine!
[/quote]

Yes that's fair enough... To be honest, although I don't use compression at source I expect Mr FOH Soundguy compresses the hell out of my signal before it can reach any unsuspecting audience members.

Edited by CamdenRob

I don't like compression as a 'remedial' treatment at source, but I do like it as an effect, i.e. the big fat lushness you get with a Diamond BCP-1 for example. I go through phases of using it, then thinking it's not necessary - depending on my compressor budget. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1447345788' post='2906932']
Yes that's fair enough... To be honest, although I don't use compression at source I expect Mr FOH Soundguy compresses the hell out of my signal before it can reach any unsuspecting audience members.
[/quote]

That's true - I always make sure they know that I'm using compression at source so it's not completely squashed!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1447343110' post='2906899']

Is this a current album? If so you might be able to get it louder by re-mastering. PM if you'd like me to give it a go

[/quote]
It was our 1986 album 'The Mirror Test' - the masters were destroyed in a fire in about 1990 but with the magic of modern technology we did 'remaster' it from some digital version and released 'The Mirror Test redux' in 2013 - the redux version does sound better but the bass playing is awful so that's another reason not to listen to it!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1447343110' post='2906899']

Is this a current album? If so you might be able to get it louder by re-mastering. PM if you'd like me to give it a go

I really don't think you're hearing the transient peak that happens in the first 1 or 2ms. It is entirely possible to set a compressor so that it's having an effect, but it's not audible.
[/quote]

Have to hear it, but the I really want it to spike...
it is like musical violence :lol: and none of my compression programs/presets allow this to any degree that I like.. and tbf, never wanted it or thought it would benefit me.

I think you only want to compress once...which is why I leave it to the final/top mix.

I've got a rackmount DBX dual band compressor which I use mainly into a 3 Leaf envelope follower and Qtron - it means I can get a wah-ed sound with every note. I've been know to use both bands with different settings for different FX, as different drives give different sounds. Then I'll amplify each separately for that sound that could easily be created with one simple keyboard...

Edited by Leonard Smalls

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1447357991' post='2907087']
Live - the EBS is in my chain all the time.

Studio - never...I'll leave that to the engineer to sort out.
[/quote]
Same, have a Multicomp always on live, when recording I'd leave it to the engineer to pick the best rack/software compressor they thought appropriate.