Why become a member? ×

Compression poll do you use it?

Damonjames

Yes..

I have a dbx compressor that's great, but I needed help from 51m0n at a Bass Bash a few years ago to better understand how to make best use of it.

There's also a few decent compressor sims in my Zoom B3 and they're not bad either.

I agree with the comment above about recorded bass tracks; they're always compressed by studio producers and engineers...and most live sound engineers will do the same as well.

So, in the right hands, compressors and compression, are great for bass guitar.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1447366617' post='2907197']
Bass - live, nope...[/quote]

You say that but then according your equipment list you are using two valve devices - Demeter and Streamliner which will almost always be adding a degree of compression to your sound. It's one of the things that makes valve designs sound like they do.

Edited by BigRedX

I don't use it live - playing in a metal band means that I go in heavy with my right (plucking) hand and keep it up throughout the show. The sound engineer is more than welcome to add some through FOH if they want to, but on-stage it's not what I need.

That said, I never turn my DHA VT1 off, so there's a [i]little[/i] bit of tube compression coming from that and the tube pre in my SWR head.

In the studio it's [i]de rigeur[/i].

Edited by paul_5

I've been using compression for the last couple of months. Didn't bother using it in the past as I'd tried using the comp on my old TE AH400SMX years ago and didn't really like the squashed sound I got. With hindsight, the fact that I didn't have a clue how to use it (or even what it did or was meant to be used for for that matter) was the real problem.
A few months back I borrowed by old Trace amp back for a gig from the guy I sold it to as my amp had packed in. Anyway, I decided to have a play with the compressor and I really liked it.
Tried a few pedals and then bought a cheap little Mooer Yellow Comp off the market place here and I think it sounds awesome. I like the way it adds punch and thickens up the sound. For me though I actual find the whole 'making quiet bits louder' thing more useful than the 'making loud bits quieter' thing.
It's now always on for me. :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1447348253' post='2906965']
If you are using any distortion, drive or have any valve devices in your signal chain then you are getting compression of your sound anyway.
[/quote]

In that case I need to change my answer to "yes - all the time".

Everything I play goes through a DHA tube-pre, though not always being over-driven sometimes just for EQ-ing.

Yes. I always use it, both live and in the studio. I'm often a bit over-aggressive with my right hand and I like the way this makes the string sing, but I'm less keen on the massive initial spike of sound I sometimes get when I do this, so I use compression to shave those peaks off. I've still got plenty of dynamics - it's all about how you set things. I do a bit of recording/mixing in my spare time and have found that almost everything benefits from a little compression, providing it is set appropriately. My recordings still sound open and dynamic though - I'm not squashing everything within an inch of its life, unless it's someone else's band & that's what they want.

Edited by jonsmith

I don't knowingly use a compressor live but I suspect the Tech 21 VT Bass DI, which I use as a pre-amp / DI in live situations, compresses if that's what is meant by smoothing out the sound.
I set it so I can still play dynamically but smoother.
Does that make sense?
In the studio, like Lozz, I let the injneers do what they have to do.
What is compression anyway?
Can't really get my head 'round the description, to be honest.

Edited by Jazzneck

I use it in the studio but I don't live. Even though my RH750 has it built in, I don't use it. I try and make sure that any control over signal boost / attack comes from my fingers. I used it once and maybe because I wasn't sure what I was looking for, it just didn't feel right live. In the studio, I think it is essential. Just my opinion, of course.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1447411330' post='2907410']
What is compression anyway?
Can't really get my head 'round the description, to be honest.
[/quote]

In its broadest form it's a means of reducing the dynamic range between the loudest and quietest sounds - an example of this is when you're watching the TV the adverts always seem (or used to, as some programmes do it now as well!) louder because they've been compressed. In other words they've made everything in the advert as loud as the loudest sound is allowed to be.
This also happens with music mastering - the point being that most folks don't listen on quality kit so there's no point having decent hifi dynamic range for the latest offering from 1 Direction... There is, however, a lot of opposition to this from folks who want the technical quality to be as high as possible - google "Loudness Wars" for more info.
In terms of individual instrument compression, it's a means of making an instrument sit more easily in a mix, whether live or recorded; it can either change the way the note attacks, or decays, or simply reduce its dynamic range. This doesn't necessarily make everything the same volume - that depends on where the threshold is set (i.e. where the effect comes in). Many can also be used as a limiter, which will set a ceiling for max level.
Some fancy compressors can do compression at individual frequencies, which means you can cut through with mids more while leaving treble and bass the same...

Edited by Leonard Smalls

Had the same with my amp's 'on-off' switch once [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]by mistake on gig...just sucked everything out of my sound..! [/font][/color]Never touched it since [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]... either by accident or intent..! :rolleyes:[/font][/color]

Yes! I use compression for everything!
Not hypercompression though, thats the horrid stuff that squishes the life out of everything and it's popular with bedroom producers who don't know how to use compression properly. It's also unfortunately the sound that people most associate with compression. You shouldn't really hear a compressor working, unless you're looking for that sound as an effect. Think of it like an autotune for your dynamics - you can go full on Cher if you want, but it's most effective used in a subtle, almost invisible way.

Need a bit more attack? Compression
More sustain? Compression
Want to hear all of the subtle nuances of your playing come out to the fore? Compression
Want to even out your sound? Flange Delay (- no just kidding, compression).

To all those who say they don't use it because it ruins the sound - you aren't using it right.
To those that say it just decreases the dynamic range - ditto
All valve amps compress naturally. So does analogue tape. So do most preamps. In fact the 'all-tube' and 'vintage' sounds everyone raves about and manufacturers try tirelessly to emulate - yeah, that's mostly compression too. THAT sound on the record you just can't seem to get anywhere near? Think about it. From the amp, mic-pre, desk, compression insert, tape, more compression, group compression, mix compression, mastering... it's been compressed about 8 - 10 times before it gets to your hi-fi.

My advice:
1. Learn about compression and how to use it right. Used properly it can be the most useful thing in a signal chain next to EQ.
2. Have a look at ovnilabs.com for some helpful info on what compressor to get. If you've done No.1 right, you'll probably want one with lots of adjustable parameters (Attack, release, ratio, threshold etc.) so you can really fine tune it.

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1447415724' post='2907479']
Turned on the 'one touch' compressor on my ABM by mistake on gig...just sucked everything out of my sound! Never touched it since...either by accident or intent!
[/quote]

Funnily enough, I played through an ABM in a rehearsal room on Monday night and tried the on-board compressor very briefly. It sounded so bad I literally laughed out loud. Instantly went from a big, fat bass sound to the sound of someone spitting onto a cardboard box at the touch of a button. I wouldn't judge compression based on that, it's the very definition of how not to set compression!

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1447418388' post='2907506']
Yes! I use compression for everything!
Not hypercompression though, thats the horrid stuff that squishes the life out of everything and it's popular with bedroom producers who don't know how to use compression properly. It's also unfortunately the sound that people most associate with compression. You shouldn't really hear a compressor working, unless you're looking for that sound as an effect. Think of it like an autotune for your dynamics - you can go full on Cher if you want, but it's most effective used in a subtle, almost invisible way.

Want to hear all of the subtle nuances of your playing come out to the fore? Compression

To all those who say they don't use it because it ruins the sound - you aren't using it right.
To those that say it just decreases the dynamic range - ditto
All valve amps compress naturally. So does analogue tape. So do most preamps. In fact the 'all-tube' and 'vintage' sounds everyone raves about and manufacturers try tirelessly to emulate - yeah, that's mostly compression too. THAT sound on the record you just can't seem to get anywhere near? Think about it. From the amp, mic-pre, desk, compression insert, tape, more compression, group compression, mix compression, mastering... it's been compressed about 8 - 10 times before it gets to your hi-fi.

My advice:
1. Learn about compression and how to use it right. Used properly it can be the most useful thing in a signal chain next to EQ.
2. Have a look at ovnilabs.com for some helpful info on what compressor to get. If you've done No.1 right, you'll probably want one with lots of adjustable parameters (Attack, release, ratio, threshold etc.) so you can really fine tune it.
[/quote]

Hmm..so you couldn't play without it...herein lies the argument that some might say it is a crutch..??

- Or use your hands to attack harder.... common problem with a lot of players, they can't regulate attack.

-Better bass, but how much do you really need..? I'd saw a 2 bar hold on a slow blues is minimum but whether
a P bass with flats or gunked up 20 yr old string will ever do that, I'd doubt.
(I've never got gunked up strings EVER...they feel disgusting in the first instance)

-or use your hands.

Sort you sound out.

Personally, I think you should be able to not use it and sound good..
A common situation for it would be to even out those higher notes that might disappear but I'd be
inclined to EQ that in and compensate in my general playing sound.