Why become a member? ×

Compression poll do you use it?

Damonjames

Ok, so I'm thinking of trying compression (again) and just wondered how many of you out there actually use it?
Mods, could we set up a poll to see the results? Maybe have a multiple choice for the yes votes to say what features they use it for?

(Apologies for my poor spelling earlier!)

Edited by Damonjames

Guest bassman7755

A yes from me, mostly I use it in combination with some drive in order to get keep the input level in the just-on-the-edge-f-breakup sweet spot that I like.

Nope, don't use it... I want the dynamics of what I play to come out...and that is how I practice
so it needs to be spikey and expressive...and more to the point, get over a loud sound so
it needs to be peaky.

I have a decent pedal board which I am looking at more, and the one thing that the presets tend to do
is bury things... so the nice level is a bit bland...???

I'm fine with compression on the final mix by a good engr either live or studio but I tend not to offer it at source.

I know I'm repeating myself from similar threads in the effects forum, but compression does not remove your ability to play "with dynamics", depending on what you mean by that. If you want to be able to play louder and quieter using only the power of your fingers, this can still be achieved with a compressor in the chain.

I use a compressor to reduce the initial transient peaks of any notes with a particularly hard attack. This is an effect which is pretty much inaudible, but will hopefully give some protection to my rig. I still manage to alter my perceived volume using only my fingers.

I also sometimes use compression with a slow attack to give me more punch. Again, as long as I get the threshold right, I can still "play with dynamics"

I use the inbuilt compressor on my TE 715 combo in combination with other features on it and my Bassattack pedal. Tried it with or without compression and decided it sounded better with so it stays on for gigs (for those with a similar combo I have the knob at about 1 or 2 o'clock posiiton, whatever that value is).

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1447338660' post='2906841']
I know I'm repeating myself from similar threads in the effects forum, but compression does not remove your ability to play "with dynamics", depending on what you mean by that. If you want to be able to play louder and quieter using only the power of your fingers, this can still be achieved with a compressor in the chain.

I use a compressor to reduce the initial transient peaks of any notes with a particularly hard attack. This is an effect which is pretty much inaudible, but will hopefully give some protection to my rig. I still manage to alter my perceived volume using only my fingers.

I also sometimes use compression with a slow attack to give me more punch. Again, as long as I get the threshold right, I can still "play with dynamics"
[/quote]

+1

Lots of pro players seem to use compression all the time. I like to use at least some as I prefer the way it makes the bass sound in the mix. I don't need to use it but it just sounds better to my ears. Fatter and punchier. There does seem to be some kind of purist snobbery that kicks in as soon as compression gets mentioned.

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1447341334' post='2906864']
There does seem to be some kind of purist snobbery that kicks in as soon as compression gets mentioned.
[/quote]
The guy engineering our 3rd album was allergic to compression.
He was into 'fidelity' and 'dynamics'.
As a result the album sounds totally sh*te and really quiet.
None of us can listen to it.

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1447341334' post='2906864']
+1

Lots of pro players seem to use compression all the time. I like to use at least some as I prefer the way it makes the bass sound in the mix. I don't need to use it but it just sounds better to my ears. Fatter and punchier. [b]There does seem to be some kind of purist snobbery that kicks in as soon as compression gets mentioned.
[/quote][/b]
You're right there! I think this aversion to compression has come about because of the modern mixing methods, and the over-produced sound most modern music has, both live and in the studio, however that's only the case in a few songs/albums in the scheme of things.

As for using compression, I do indeed use it. I feel for me, it controls my playing, taking peaks off when I let my right hand get away from me, and helping to add a tighter sound to my rig, which is hard to get without the use of compression. It's great when you know what it does, and how to use it!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1447338660' post='2906841']

I use a compressor[b] to reduce the initial transient peaks of any notes with a particularly hard attack. [/b]This is an effect which is pretty much inaudible, but will hopefully give some protection to my rig. I still manage to alter my perceived volume using only my fingers.

[/quote]

But these are the ones I want otherwise I wouldn't hit it like that...

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1447341520' post='2906867']
The guy engineering our 3rd album was allergic to compression.
He was into 'fidelity' and 'dynamics'.
As a result the album sounds totally sh*te and really quiet.
None of us can listen to it.
[/quote]

Is this a current album? If so you might be able to get it louder by re-mastering. PM if you'd like me to give it a go

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1447342501' post='2906882']
But these are the ones I want otherwise I wouldn't hit it like that...
[/quote]

I really don't think you're hearing the transient peak that happens in the first 1 or 2ms. It is entirely possible to set a compressor so that it's having an effect, but it's not audible.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1447341783' post='2906870']
[/b]
You're right there! I think this aversion to compression has come about because of the modern mixing methods, and the over-produced sound most modern music has, both live and in the studio, however that's only the case in a few songs/albums in the scheme of things.

As for using compression, I do indeed use it. I feel for me, it controls my playing, taking peaks off when I let my right hand get away from me, and helping to add a tighter sound to my rig, which is hard to get without the use of compression. It's great when you know what it does, and how to use it!
[/quote]

I can totally understand the aversion to over-produced over-compressed music. Most modern chart music sounds that way to my ears. That's no reason to throw the baby out with the bath water though.

I use a EBS Multicomp, set in multi-band mode and with internal trim pots affecting more the high freqs, in the end of my pedal chain. This comp helps me take care of those inicial loud pops when using other fx like wah or slapping. It doesn't ruin my dynamics and a big part of "my" sound is done with right hand technique. I can play loud or quiet but it never gets out of control or harsh to the ears. It also doesn't squash my sound. Tried the Boss (CS-3?) and i couldn't make it work for me.

So, for me, it's a big yes to compression, when used to achieve what i want/need.

edit: forgot to add, my comp is allways on

Edited by Ghost_Bass

Oh my goodness, yes. It's the single thing that I would always try to use before anything else. I use the MXR-80 bass compressor. It adds punch, sustain, and evens out my dynamics - NOT crushing them, just taming the louder parts. Essential especially for slap but I find it improves my bass sound in every way. People who say 'no, I like to play with dynamics' either don't understand compression or have tried using it with a poor choice of settings (it's a hard thing to get your head around - ratios, makeup, threshold, attack/release). I like the MXR-80 as it has a gain reduction meter built in so you can monitor visually (as well as aurally) how much your signal is being compressed.