Why become a member? ×

Alternatives to the J-Retro?

rmcki

What I like about the DJ-Retro I have is that the bass is boost-only (I never saw a bass cut as useable), the pull bright pot adds sparkle yet no brittleness whatsoever, the semi-parametric mid is awesome for dialing in the mids right where I want to. Brilliant stuff!

One standout feature of the J-Retro is that it can fit the battery under the control plate with no need to route a battery box. This is great if you want the ability to take your bass back to a stock passive setup at a later date.

If that is an important feature, I'm not sure how many (if any) of the other pre's mentioned here can offer the same?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1447846562' post='2910857']
One standout feature of the J-Retro is that it can fit the battery under the control plate ... I'm not sure how many (if any) of the other pre's mentioned here can offer the same?
[/quote]
The Audere JZ3 allows this as well, just drops in to a standard J cavity along with battery and with no mods. It also has an led which indicates when the battery needs changing

Edited by ikay

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1447849220' post='2910875']

The Audere JZ3 allows this as well, just drops in to a standard J cavity along with battery and with no mods. It also has an led which indicates when the battery needs changing
[/quote]

And centre detects on the pan and tone controls... Big fan!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1447846562' post='2910857']
One standout feature of the J-Retro is that it can fit the battery under the control plate with no need to route a battery box. This is great if you want the ability to take your bass back to a stock passive setup at a later date.

If that is an important feature, I'm not sure how many (if any) of the other pre's mentioned here can offer the same?
[/quote]

This depends on the body thickness of the bass it's being fitted to. I had to route out another 1mm or so from the bottom of the control cavity on a Squier VMJ to get the battery in. The clearances required are given in the specs so you can check before you buy if you don't have the equipment or skills to do this work should it be required.

[quote name='rmcki' timestamp='1447364345' post='2907164']
How about and ACG pre-amp?
[/quote]

ACG? I thought ACG had a USP with an East Pre (Unique Selling Point - marketing jargon) - the pre I refer to is the cool filter based "[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]ACG DFM pre-amp[/font][/size]"

Read all aboot it here: [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/basses/electronics/"]http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/basses/electronics/[/url]
Here's a sweet looking Uber:

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1447910714' post='2911372']
ACG? I thought ACG had a USP with an East Pre (Unique Selling Point - marketing jargon) - the pre I refer to is the cool filter based "[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]ACG DFM pre-amp[/font][/size]"

Read all aboot it here: [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/basses/electronics/"]http://www.acguitars...es/electronics/[/url]
Here's a sweet looking Uber:

[/quote]

Cant buy these though, only available on new basses from ACG. Would love to try it...

[quote name='rmcki' timestamp='1447368960' post='2907240']
I have the J-Retro, but was considering changing to the J-Retro flat response. I thought I would do a sanity check before changing.
[/quote]Nothing insane about wanting to try something else. If flat response is something that appeals to you, Delano and Glockenklang are certainly viable alternatives to East. We're living in a bass gear renaissance right now. There are so many choices for anything you might be looking for. East makes amazing preamps.... but so do Glock and Delano! :)
I've heard great things about Noll, too, but haven't heard one yet. I have a suspicion they don't suck, either. It's a great time to be a bassist.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1447368563' post='2907227']
A friend has a Retro (could be J or U not sure) in a self build bass - he's a luthier- id say the Retro had more range in the EQ. As for basic sound though the basses and the pickups were very different so not great for a bass v bass comparison.

The retro had a higher output, if that is important to you. (it's not to me)
[/quote]
I've got a jazz with a J-Retro and it sounds great but if anything, it perhaps has too much range in the EQ (especially in the bass).

i have another bass with a Tri Logic circuit and that is really good as well but without the excessive tonal variation...

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1448234612' post='2913899']

I've got a jazz with a J-Retro and it sounds great but if anything, it perhaps has too much range in the EQ (especially in the bass).

i have another bass with a Tri Logic circuit and that is really good as well but without the excessive tonal variation...
[/quote]

That was one of the things I loved about the Audere. The levels of the cuts and boosts are so very well chosen. They give you all the scope for sound sculpting you could ever reasonably need but in a very musical way. It really seemed to me that they had nailed versatile boost and cut but without having the controls going to unusable extremes.

Mike replied to me about the Pope Flexcore, very helpful guy and it sounds like the Flexcore can be arranged in any number of different combinations.
Definitely of interest to me as an alternative to a J-Retro/U-Retro/Uni-Pre

Si

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1447849973' post='2910883']
This depends on the body thickness of the bass it's being fitted to. I had to route out another 1mm or so from the bottom of the control cavity on a Squier VMJ to get the battery in. The clearances required are given in the specs so you can check before you buy if you don't have the equipment or skills to do this work should it be required.
[/quote]

Same here, though only took 10 mins and that included setting up the router. And after the work was done, you couldnt tell it was modified.

For anyone wanting one of Johns Retro jazzers, go ahead. He's a decent fellow too and knows his stuff. Ex Sony /Oxford Digital partner

Edited by fleabag