Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SDGR500 Replacement Bridge?

anaxcrosswords

Lovely as this instrument sounds, build quality is shocking. First the damaged wood surface, then loose pots (despite these never being used), now a bridge that refuses to stay the way it’s been set up.
Less than a week after I got the shop to do it – I haven’t got an allen key that fits – the G has dropped so much there’s fret buzz all the way up from the octave mark; not so clever on the D either. I’m guessing it can only be that the allen screws can’t be tightened enough, so they constantly slacken off and drop the bridge.

Can anyone recommend a better alternative bridge that’s not too costly?

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1447415617' post='2907476']
...I’m guessing it can only be that the allen screws can’t be tightened enough, so they constantly slacken off and drop the bridge...
[/quote]
Before spending on a new bridge I'd be wanting to prove to myself this is the actual fault. Simplest way I can think to check (and if it is, it'll provide a fix anyway) is to remove the grub/allen screw, place a piece of plumbers PTFE tape over the hole, nudge a little inside then refit the screw. The tape is so fine it'll not stop the screw from going in but grippy enough that it will prevent the screw from moving if indeed that is the issue. It's a trick that'll cost you pennies to try if you don't already have PTFE tape (any DIY store will carry it) and might save you needing to replace the bridge at all.

I'll take it back to the shop for them to check the screws, but I doubt the neck has twisted. We're talking very fine margins obviously, but it looks straight.
As for the bridge, just taken a snap to show how low the G bridge is sitting but I can't remember how to upload here. Tried drag/drop but got a 'post_too_short' message, whatever that means.

it sounds like the screws are a tiny bit loose in the saddles, the usual fix is to set them to the right point then put a tiny drop of clear nail varnish on them to hold them in place, they are probably just vibrating themselves loose as you play and the nail varnish trick usually fixes it.

Matt