Why become a member? ×

Bolt on neck tightness moves dead spot

franzbassist

Interesting observation. My main bass had a [i]slight[/i] dead spot at the 7th fret on the G string. No biggie, but noticeable reduction in sustain compared with every other note.

Then last night I noticed that the neck bolts were slightly loose, so I tightened them up, and the dead spot has now moved to the 5th fret!

I can only assume that the tighter join has shifted the point at which the resonant frequency is cancelled out.

Welcome to the wonderful world of bolt-on necks! Seriously, tweak the truss rod a shade tighter, not really enough to change the relief, but to change the tension slightly, and see if it helps. For stability's sake, I wouldn't go back and loosen the neck bolts.

Yes, any change in any detail of a bolt-on bass can change the resonance.

I seem to remember reading about a Fender research project that aimed to remove the dead spot. The result was that a headless bass with a though neck was the best and second best was a 2L2R headstock with a through neck.

Neither of these were acceptable for aesthetic reasons at Fender so we live with the dead spot. I gave real credence to Ned Steinberger's work though.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1448203542' post='2913618']
I seem to remember reading about a Fender research project that aimed to remove the dead spot. The result was that a headless bass with a though neck was the best and second best was a 2L2R headstock with a through neck.

Neither of these were acceptable for aesthetic reasons at Fender so we live with the dead spot. I gave real credence to Ned Steinberger's work though.
[/quote]

Alway assumed Fender's bolt on neck and low rake angle on the headstock, requiring the string tree, was to get more necks out of a piece of lumber. Same with split P pup - a cheap humbuck. P was built down to a price, rather than any aesthetics.

Was there a post recently about loosening and re-tightening the bolts with the strings under tension to cure some dead spots?

FatFinger ?

Some have had results saying it eliminated a dead spot , others have said it moved the dead spot somewhere else, others said it makes no difference

I had a Squier Modified J fretless that had a typical dead spot on the G string 7th fret - dont have the bass anymore, but of my current 4 basses, the Vintage MM clone has one in the same place, but its not my gigging bass, so no matter