Why become a member? ×

String Height

BottomE

Hello folks

For reasons unknown i decided to experiment with string height on my basses. Some of the basses were too thumpy/boomy whilst others were not thumpy enough in gig situations.

The difficulty is that at home and through headphones almost any height sounds ok but this isn't the case on gigs.

So questions is: is there such thing as the "correct" string height? If so, what is it? Is it determined by playing style? What if you play lots of different styles? Typically my amp is flat and don't use effects or pedals. All advice welcome.

Thank you

Thank you folks and yes, i should of been more explicit in my initial question regarding PuP height and string height. Will look at the suggested article. There are so many factors. I'd like to find an optimum setting for playing finger style, with my nail (like with a Plectrum but using my nail instead) and for slap (some of the cover tunes we do are slap lines).

Thing is at home generally most settings are ok and its only during a gig when you notice, for example, a lack of top/bottom end when in the mix.

Yep, it's a right can of worms! Welcome to the wonderful world of bass set up.

Don't think there are any short cuts really, probably best to start with your manufacturers recommended specs and and tinker with string height, pup height, neck relief, and different strings until you're happy. Takes a lot of trail and error, and compromise between different variables. I spent years playing before I even touched the truss rod, and learning how different set ups affect the sound and playability was the most rewarding thing I could have done. Enjoy it.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1447501211' post='2908079']
Here's the Fender guide for setting bass action ... [url="http://www2.fender.com/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide/"]http://www2.fender.c...ar-setup-guide/[/url]

The harder you dig in the higher action you'll require to give the string space to vibrate.
[/quote] Yep agreed start with the guide and tweak to how you like, IMO there is no right or wrong way, it is up to the player how they like there bass

A Top Tip ..?

Do as above, setting up as 'standard', then touch nothing for quite a while (at least a few gigs..?). If, then, there's something to be done that you think might improve things, adjust only one (truss rod, p/u height... whatever...), then use the bass for a while more. If improved, fine; if not, go back to square one ('standard'...), rinse and repeat. Yes, it's long and laborious, but you'll learn each time how it all fits together, and in the end you'll have it just as you wish.
Just sayin'

Edited by Dad3353