Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SCR-DI sound samples

Naetharu

Hi folks,

I picked up an Ampeg SCR-DI this week and I thought that given they are quite new on the market some of you might appreciate a few sound samples. Here's a link to a brief Sound-Cloud hosted MP3. Please excuse the bass playing, it's just me doing the basic riff from the Arctic Monkeys 'R U Mine' but it should serve to give a clear idea of the tones on offer.

Signal Chain: Maruszczyk Elwood strung with LaBella Black Nylon 'Perfect Tension' strings -> Delano MM humbucker/Jazz 9.5mm pickups -> Delano 2-eq pre-amp in active mode (set flat) -> Ampeg SCR-DI -> Cheap Audio-Interface -> Reaper (no special plug-in settings or anything like that - all the tone comes from the bass/DI box).

The settings are as follows:

(1) DI only - just my bass as it sounds on its own
(2) DI engaged and set flat
(3) DI engaged and set flat with the ultra-hi/low engaged
(4) DI engaged and set flat with small blend of scrambler for some gritty sound
(5) DI engaged and set flat with a good mix of scrambler for a properly 'driven' sound
(6) DI engaged and set flat with the scrambler maxed out and fully blended.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/james-bridge-99946900/ampeg-scr-di-sound-sample"]http://soundcloud.c...di-sound-sample[/url]

Hopefully that should be enough to at least give you a basic idea of the sound of the Pre-amp/scrambler sections on the pedal. If anyone would like to hear samples of other settings/combos please feel free to let me know and I'll pop some up. I'll also post a proper track with the DI being used later so that you can get a feel for how it sounds in a mix.

All the best

James

Edited by Naetharu

Having had a couple of days to experiment with it, I've come to appreciate the Scrambler section of the pedal a great deal more than I did at first. It's still not going to be my primary port of call for full blow fuzz but the gritty edge it offers is actually really nice. I had my first try with it alongside a band today (drummer and one guitar player) and it sounded pretty good in that context.

We've not got much to do at band practice this week, just a bit of last min polishing before a couple of gigs, so I'll see if I can get the guys to do a quick recording of something at some point to give an example of it being used in the mix.