Why become a member? ×

Footswitch wiring schematic; DPDT footswitch. Help!

NancyJohnson

In my quest to add a light to my pedalboard, I'm at the stage below (electrics not my strong point and I have yet to break out the soldering iron);

Effectively, left to right, I have a BNC socket (that will connect to a gooseneck lamp on the other side of the box below), a 2.1mm power input socket (12v - boo) and a DPDT latching foot switch with six terminals. The latching switch will just allow me to switch the lamp on or off when I need to - it seemed a bit more robust that a plastic rocker switch.

Now then. Anyone got any idea how to wire this up?

Thanks
P

Yep.

You've got two rows of three contacts.
Ignore one of those rows.

Choose the middle contact of either of those rows as your first contact and connect the + side of the power supply to it.

Your second contact will be either of the two contacts either side of that first one.
Connect your lamp to that one.

The - side of the power supply doesn't need to be switched.

hth

DPDT Switch has pins arranged like this:

1 3 5
2 4 6

positive from power input to lug 3, negative to lug 4. wire the positive input of the lamp to lug 1, wire the negative input of the lamp to lug 2. As long as you don't mix the positive and negative up you're golden.

It would work just as well with lug 5 and 6 to the lamp. It doesn't matter that the other side of the switch isn't connected - if there's not a complete circuit then there's nowhere for the electrickery to go, so it won't go anywhere.

Be aware though that wiring lamps on the same ring as audio stuff could introduce noise to your bass rig...

You could do it either way. Paul5's way gives you somewhere to attach the negative wires. Icastle's way would mean joining the two negative wires together. You just need to make and break the circuit. The light will go off if you just cut the positive or both wires at the same time.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1447622441' post='2909085']
Is this because the negative is effectively transmitted by the case?
Cheers
[/quote]

Nope, the BNC socket will use the case as a negative, but the DC socket probably won't.

All you're effectively doing is connecting a lamp to a power supply, so one wire from the power supply goes to one of the lamp connectors and the other wire goes to the other connector.

You're adding a switch into the equation and the most basic way to switch something off is to put the switch into the 'live' (or +) cable.