Why become a member? ×

Thinking of an EUB

Jenny_Innie

Hi - I'm thinking about getting one of these electric upright basses. I have a question.

I've played a 3/4 size upright before - and found the action a bit high and it was a bit difficult to play. I mean I could play it a bit - but it was a bit of a chore. I know that's a bit of a naive comment - and that I shouldn't expect to compare it to my precisions and jazzes. But hey, I'd like to make things as easy as I can.

Do these eub things have strings closer to the fretboard than the average acoustic upright?

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1447621875' post='2909072']
Do these eub things have strings closer to the fretboard than the average acoustic upright?
[/quote]

No...but don't let that put you off. A decent EUB is designed to replicate an acoustic DB as closely as possible (in theory), which will include string length and action. Furthermore, the less expensive the EUB or DB - if it hasn't has a pro set-up - will likely have a more difficult action for playability.

You have to think of it as a different instrument and that there is a different technique and mind set to learning it and playing it.

Again, don't let that out you off especially if you can try one out perhaps with a lesson on technique.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1447622469' post='2909086']
They can usually be adjusted that way but they don't all come with low action, especially at the cheaper end of the market. Are there particular models you're looking at?
[/quote]

I haven't got that far yet. I was thinking of going budget to dip my toe in the water - just in case it's a fad of mine (again).

There are EUBs which intentionally resemble a much thinner, non-hollow double bass, complete with extending fingerboard, scroll, endpiece etc., and those are the ones I find easier to play with the double-bass plucking style. On those EUBs the bridge height is usually adjustable, so you can have high action for slapping and low action for easy fingering. KK Baby Basses have a special key-operated mechanism that allows instant switching between the two action settings, through a controlled movement of the neck.

Other EUBs are intentionally modern in look and feel, and don't resemble a double bass at all - for instance the NS Design uprights. They usually have either dots on the side or marks on the fingerboard for correct intonation.

Both kinds of EUBs should be plucked with the double-bass plucking style, for the sake of your arm and wrist. Both kinds can be bowed without problems too. (I have one upright of each type, and the NS is actually a 5-stringer.) Their sound, though, is usually much closer to that of a fretless electric than to that of a real DB. Nothing can sound like a real DB, except another real DB, but of course EUBs are much easier to carry, don't feed back, etc. etc. :)

Edited by bluejay

It may be that the EUB you first played wasn't particularly well set up. Or it was set to its' owners preferences....
The type of string you use will also have a bearing on the set-up, feel, sound and playability of an EUB
And string types are a whole subject in their own right

I started in the upright world, with a Stagg EUB. Now I know they aren't the best. But IMO, they're a great starting point
I think I got back exactly what I'd paid for it when I upgraded. But the strings it came with were awful
They were very hard to play, with a lot of "drag" on the left hand - possibly because they weren't well polished / finished

The Stagg has an adjustable bridge, so you could change the strings, and adjust the action yourself
Of course, if you buy 2nd hand, it could be that the previous owner already changed the strings.
As has already been said, you need to treat it like a different instrument really. But I really enjoy playing DB and EUB
It's an exciting venture, and I honestly haven't looked back. I'm just glad I started with my Stagg
Though it has long gone, it taught me a lot about DB's, playing and sound, action, strings etc etc

Good luck with your search.
Is there a DB player / EUB player near you who would help, or let you have a go on their EUB or DB?
Worth asking......

EDIT: Thinking about it - every EUB I have seen has had an adjustable bridge
I've seen a Stagg, Aria, and now own an Eminence - all these had adjustable bridge - can't recall if the NS does
or the Harley Benton......

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1447687150' post='2909501']

".........It may be that the EUB you first played wasn't particularly well set up. Or it was set to its' owners preferences.... "

[/quote]

I have never played an EUB. I was referring to a proper double bass that a guy in a jazz band at the university has. He let me have a quick play. Although I could do a mean Walk Like and Egyptian on it - walking stuff like Heartbreak Hotel was a bit of a challenge. The action was mega high - he thought it was normal, but has never played anything other than that actual double bass.

I figure I might have a go at an EUB as me and a couple of girls on my course at uni fancy doing a weird girly barber shop thing. The other two have weird and cool instruments - so I figured it would be best to mothball the Precisions and get with the programme.

I have an NS Design NXT5. It does have an adjustable bridge. When I got it, the action was really low like I'd want on a guitar but found it a bit tricky to get a good pull on the strings when in the upright position.

I lifted the action a little to improve this for me.

Bear in mind this is based on no proper double bass technique training so I'm probably doing it all wrong!

Yup, the bridge on an NXT can be raised or lowered through a couple of screws which are accessible from the back plate (without the need to detach the latter). I don't think the bridge is designed to allow the action to be as high as on some DBs I've seen, however - the NXT upright clearly prefers to think of itself as an oversized, highly stylish fretless electric. ;) :D

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1447689163' post='2909517']
Aren't cellos' open strings tuned differently from the double bass' fourths?
[/quote]

Of course. My post was more in relation to the comment:[i] "The other two have weird and cool instruments - so I figured it would be best to mothball the Precisions and get with the programme"[/i]

Maybe the requirement doesn't need to be a DB or EUB. Just sayin' ;)

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1447702124' post='2909668']
What's rock in barber shop?
[/quote]

Rather more a generalisation on tuning cellos, not specifically aimed at your application (but why not, as long as it's weird and cool..?). I'm not good with 'genres', that's all; to me they're all music, be 'em rock, pop, surf, metal, opera... Sometimes the lines are fine. No malice intended. B)

Edited by Dad3353

Hi Jenny,

I agree with Marc S. If you want a budget EUB then have a look at the Stagg (there's a huge thread about these - loads of Basschatters love them) or the Harley Benton EUB on Thomman. (Either way, prepare to invest another 100 quid or so swapping the stock strings for decent ones.)

I've got myself a third hand Harley Benton for not very much money from this forum, and it's great fun. I have now hired a 'proper' acoustic upright too. The Harley Benton is easier to play (and a lot easier to gig with!). The scale length is a little less than a 3/4 acoustic and I don't know whether it is the action, or whether mine happens to have lower tension strings, but I find it easier on my fingers.

Warning: Once you start down the road of playing upright you'll get addicted and it will empty your bank account!

Good luck, David.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1447772582' post='2910202']
Well I have a Retro210....
[/quote]

I know, that was my point! :P

In my experience, the output (and likely impedance if your EUB has a piezo pickup) can be wildly different between the upright and a normal passive bass, so you may need to get used to dialling in totally different settings on your amp. I play gigs where I play both EUB and bass guitar, and have been experimenting with various A/B switchers with gain and EQ to try and match them up a bit better.

EDIT: Not sure if different basses is relevant in your case, but thought it worth mentioning....

Edited by Huge Hands

Any pedal will help impedance match the Stagg. Check the specs, but as long as you are over 1meg ohm it will help. Most pedal tuners will be 1m ohm. I've had good luck with the Sans Amp para DI which is 4.7 mrg ohm and a MXR M80 which is 2.2.

Also, I'd give your Compact a try before you dismiss it.

Check out Thomann for strings too ;)

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1447773919' post='2910222']
I know, that was my point! :P

In my experience, the output (and likely impedance if your EUB has a piezo pickup) can be wildly different between the upright and a normal passive bass, so you may need to get used to dialling in totally different settings on your amp. I play gigs where I play both EUB and bass guitar, and have been experimenting with various A/B switchers with gain and EQ to try and match them up a bit better.

EDIT: Not sure if different basses is relevant in your case, but thought it worth mentioning....
[/quote]

I tend to play via a Line 6 X3 Live multi fx board - so, I'll just dedicate a bank or two to the eub. I can tweak the gain and volume per patch and everything - so should be okay.