Why become a member? ×

RICK 4003 Using ricosound and two combos.

doogyrev

I have some questions about using two combos with ricosound. I'm using a Laney kB(keyboard 50w) and an Eden em275. I bought a stereo to two mono cable. So, I've plugged the trs into the ricosound jack and one mono into each combo. When I have ONLY the bridge p/up selected, I'm getting sound from both amps which I believe to be one p/up(treble) and when I select bass p/up ONLY Iget bass through both amps. When I select both p/ups I get a combination through both amps. Is this the correct way? Also I am concerned about safety, ground lift. Should I buy a box with ground lift? I've seen a good one on eBay.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AB-FOOTSWITCH-GROUND-LIFT-TOUGH-COMPACT-guitar-amp-switch-splitter-pedal-AB-2-/161644701306 Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you have the wrong kind of cable, from your description it is taking a stereo signal and sending both channels/pickups to both of the mono jacks i.e. combining the channels. The type of cable you need would take the signal from the tip of the stereo (bridge pickup) and send only that to one of the mono jacks, and the ring would carry the neck pickup signal to the other mono jack.

I can't answer about ground lift I'm afraid.

There are two types of Stereo TRS to two mono I'm afraid and visually there is no way to tell them apart as the difference is in the wiring inside. Sometimes shops/eBay/Amazon etc. sellers mislabel, sadly.

One type combines the two stereo outputs so that a [b]combination [/b]of both channels (i.e. pickups in this application) is sent simultaneously to two separate mono devices (this sounds like the cable you have because you say you get sound from both amps even when you have only one pickup selected).

The type you need takes only the left channel to one mono output and the right channel to the other. i.e. the bridge pickup goes only to one mono jack and the neck goes to the other. With that type of cable you will only hear sound from one amp at a time when you select one or the other pickup but when you select both you will hear both amps (although both will still only be getting sound from their respective pickup).

Hope this helps :)

[quote name='doogyrev' timestamp='1447684894' post='2909481']
Ahh! I see. But is the setup I'm using with the current cable safe to use. That's what worries me. Although, the Bass does sound great to my ears.
[/quote]
Safe - as in you won't electrocute yourself? Yes it's fine
Safe - as in purists might think unkindly of you? No

Seriously though, with what you have currently you may as well use the bass in mono.
I'd get a lead that works properly (or convert the one you have), because if you want to try the Ric 'o' sound that's the only way. Then, you can plug the Bass pickup into your bass amp, and the treble pickup into a nicely driven guitar amp and enjoy! :)

[quote name='doogyrev' timestamp='1447715158' post='2909810']
Thanks again all. Very useful info here. My final query - Is it safe to use the two combos together seeing that I have both power cables plugged into an extension cable and running at the same time?
[/quote]
[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1447691246' post='2909527']

Safe - as in you won't electrocute yourself? Yes it's fine...
[/quote]
As brensabre79 says, it's fine. You'll be using it as it's designed to be used so no worries.

Tbh, the best advice (which applies to mono/single amp use too) is to use an RCD device on whatever socket you're drawing power from, especially given the state of some pub and rehearsal room electrics I've seen over the years. Going wireless would give you another layer of separation from the mains but if running in stereo you'll need an expensive setup or a compromise cheaper unit. But to confirm, the basic answer here is yes, running the amps the way you describe is safe and in the manner they were designed to be used in a Ric stereo configuration.