New valves = what a difference!

3 replies to this topic

#1 bassbiscuits

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Interests:Basses, guitars and singing in equal doses, drawing and painting, astronomy, attempting to be a responsible parent

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:04 PM

My Fender Hot Rod Deluxe was playing up with some cutting out/cracking noises when i was playing.

Turned out to be some dry solder joints, which my local repair guy fixed. But in the process of elimination getting there, and while the amp was opened up anyway, we agreed to pop in the whole set of new JJ valves I'd got for good measure, as the old ones had been in for at least 10 years.

Gigged it on Saturday night and whoa! It sounded brilliant - much clearer and open sounding.

Chuffed.

I'm reasonably inexperienced in the ways of guitar valve amps, being mainly a bassist and only more recently gigging regularly on guitar as well.

So apologies if my post is stating the blindly obvious - I expected it to sound better, but it really has just woken it up. :D

View my feedback here: http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2973577

Instruments: Fender 1970 Precision, Epiphone Jack Casady, Yamaha BB604, plus some electric and acoustic guitars and harmonicas
Amplifiers: Aguilar and Schroeder cabs, Markbass and Fender amps
Other: Various fingers, thumbs, tapping feet, nods, winks, desperate facial expressions and often wildly-ambitious cues to the drummer…

#2 JapanAxe

My other bass is a Precision.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:10 PM

I love JJs, excellent quality but not stupid dear, well worth it.
Bass Guitars | Fender Precision (USA 1973) | Fender Precision '63 AVRI (USA 2015) | Fender Mustang FSR (Japan 2016) | Kala U-bass

Backline | Demeter VTBP-M-800D | Markbass Nano Mark 300 | Barefaced Compact & Midget (vintage silver) | Markbass Micromark 801

Posted Image FEEDBACK

#3 Bassnut62

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • Interests:I run a 6-9 piece disco/funk band in Notts. Let me know if you want a party band for a function or event - we travel thru East Midlands. Thanks

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:06 PM

+1 for JJs....a good solid reliable valve that does 90%+ of anything your ultra rare vintage NOS valves can do for at most 50% of the price

I do like an occasional high-end NOS treat though! JAN Philips, GEC and Mazda are my favourites when prepared to spend a good bit more.
"Make my funk the P Funk....I want to get funked up!" (George Clinton, c.1974)

Band: https://www.facebook.com/discoprophets

[u]Feedback:
http://basschat.co.u...4109-bassnut62/

[u]Gear:
More than Mrs Bassnut knows about.....

#4 ezbass

Turn it up until your pants flap!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts
  • Interests:Bass (duh!), Guitar, Rock Climbing, Golf, Snowboarding & Skiing

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:19 PM

I re-valved my Hot Rod when I had one (I forget with what) it was definitely a little smoother with the replacement power valves. However, the really big improvement was when I replaced the speaker with a Jensen C12.
Maruszczyk Elwood L Custom (JJ), Maruszczyk Elwood L Custom Fretless (MM), Rickenbacker 4003S, Rob Allen MB-2, Phil Jones Flightcase, Phil Jones Cub & PB300

My Feedback

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users