Why become a member? ×

Quick bit of advice please :)

CamdenRob

Hi chaps,

I'm sure there's a number of threads on this already but I'm just after a few suggestions.

I'm looking to get my dad a USB recording interface that ships with some kind of simple recording software (for PC), so he can record his acoustic guitar and possibly vocals, maybe multi track stuff.

Any suggestions around a £100?

Edited by CamdenRob

I use one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/FastTrack-SOLO-Audio-Interface-Avid/dp/B00CBU7EII

Does the job and comes with a basic version of pro tools (although I use Reaper now).

If I was to buy a cheap interface just now though I'd go with one of the Focusrite Scarlett solos. They seem to get great reviews.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1447760163' post='2910028']
I use one of these [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/FastTrack-SOLO-Audio-Interface-Avid/dp/B00CBU7EII"]http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B00CBU7EII[/url]

Does the job and comes with a basic version of pro tools (although I use Reaper now).

If I was to buy a cheap interface just now though I'd go with one of the Focusrite Scarlett solos. They seem to get great reviews.
[/quote]

That looks just what I'm looking for, thanks for that :)

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1447763958' post='2910075']
The Focusrite 2i2 is less than £100 from Thomann, has 2 inputs and comes with Ableton Live 9 basic.
There's very little latency and the mic pre-amps are of excellent quality...
[/quote]

Thanks Mr Smalls... Focusrite is a name I have heard of and I would likely have gone for something I recognise so good to know that's a goodun as well.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1447859835' post='2911016']
Thanks gents... much appreciated.

Although everyone has suggested something different!
[/quote]
What else would you expect on a bass forum? :yarr:

TBH, they're all very viable options. It's down to you to read some reviews, watch some youchoob vids & make a choice. Have fun.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1447763958' post='2910075']
The Focusrite 2i2 is less than £100 from Thomann, has 2 inputs and comes with Ableton Live 9 basic.
There's very little latency and the mic pre-amps are of excellent quality...
[/quote]

I've got one of these. Plug and play largely.
You could download Audacity free for recording too - it's pretty easy to use in my opinion and there are loads of tutorials on YouTube available.

Been looking into these for a little while, I managed to get the list down to either the Steinberg UR22 mkII, the Focusrite 2i2 or the M-Audio M-Track Plus 2. Both the Steinberg & the Focusrite get great reviews, and the M-Audio's got a good spec and a good price. All come with ether Ableton Live Lite or Cubase LE and are 2in/2out devices.

Having had an M-Audio Delta soundcard on a desktop PC (and limited funds), the M-Audio won (£90 inc postage), where the UR22 & 2i2 came in at around £100 mark, especially when postage was factored in. How it fares, we'll have to wait & see...

• 4 weeks later...

Based on a recommendation on BC, I got a pair of Superlux HD688B headphones.
Superb quality & they come with interchangeable cables (1m & 3m included).
The Mrs says she can hear them as they're not a fully closed back enclosure.

It was a choice between these & the Edifier H-850 (which are based on the PJB H850).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1450256066' post='2930899']
Based on a recommendation on BC, I got a pair of Superlux HD688B headphones.
Superb quality & they come with interchangeable cables (1m & 3m included).
The Mrs says she can hear them as they're not a fully closed back enclosure.

It was a choice between these & the Edifier H-850 (which are based on the PJB H850).
[/quote]

I'll have to have a look around locally I think... I've realised that I'm not at home to take deliveries between now and christmas so it'll have to be something I can get from a shop in London somewhere :blink: