Why become a member? ×

Reverb pedal for bass?

basscell

I've been messing with reverbs (mostly on my line-6 m5) and I'm still learning this, but one thing I can say: There's a world of difference between short-time room/hall/IR reverbs that basically just give your sound some "air" and "space" and the cave/infinite/feedback reverbs that really take your sound and sort of create a whole other thing from it. While both are technically just "reverb", musically and functionally these are really two different effects.

I would class hall as usually quite a long tailed verb.

Im a big fan of plate verbs in general, but think that bass sounds best with a short room verb in a crossover loop. That or a nice long hall or spring verb for ambient sounds. There are also pedals that do 'infinite' verb, which means that you can play a note, and have the verb be sustained theoretically forever.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1447787757' post='2910420'] Video below has it at various lengths on the mod model.

[media]http://youtu.be/TJ7_V4V6eeo[/media]
[/quote]

This is great stuff!

Is there some sort of "shimmer" or octave-up in this? It sounds like some of the longer revrebs/sustains have this...?

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1447787757' post='2910420']
I use TC Hall of Fame. Lovely warm tone and goes on for ages if you want it to. Video below has it at various lengths on the mod model.

[media]http://youtu.be/TJ7_V4V6eeo[/media]
[/quote]

Thanks, sounds great! That's exactly what I'm looking for.

[quote name='ProfFrink' timestamp='1447788165' post='2910423']

This is great stuff!

Is there some sort of "shimmer" or octave-up in this? It sounds like some of the longer revrebs/sustains have this...?
[/quote]

No it doesn't have a shimmer. If you want that you might be better to go for something like the Neunaber Wet reverb. Plenty of YouTube vids on that. Or even the Strymon Bigsky, if you can afford it.

Edited by BassBus

The Hall of fame is really excellent. You can download 'tone prints' off the TC website. The Steve Lawson tone print is excellent.

It depends on your budget, I used the Neunaber Wet for a time, that was really nice. I'm currently using an Eventide Space, which is more of a multi-effects, the reverbs are amazing. It's expensive though.

I recommend Old Blood Noise Endeavour Procession. Favourite pedal on my board. It has 3-way switch which allows you to chose between different flavours: tremolo, something like auto-wah and flangy stuff. Check this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE3154OS5c0

Another one would be Earthquaker Devices Afterneath. Haven't tried it but on demos it sounds amazing https://youtu.be/BwPrcFxBaLo?t=41s

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1447898758' post='2911366']
I also recently tried out the Digitech Polara, and was stunned for the Plate/Halo/Mod/Hall regular type reverb sounds. The Spring is pretty OTT though, but usable!
[/quote]
I've been looking at this one for a second 'verb pedal for my board and think it looks very interesting

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1447976003' post='2912065']
If you want a Shimmer, doesn't get much better than the Mr Black Eterna.
The EQD Afterneath is also awesome for modulated madness

Si
[/quote]
Based on a couple of recommendations, YT videos and Si's experience I recently got the Eterna Gold version - it's absolutely stunning for long-tail reverb with shimmer octave-up type stuff. Works well with an EHX Micro-POG in front of it too

what do you want a reverb pedal for, specifically? The mr. black eterna, as mentioned above, is great for shimmer, and huge ambient drones. The dispatch master by EQD (my favourite) combines a reverb and delay, and quite versatile. the afterneath seems very interesting, but not so much a traditional reverb. HOF seems to be quite popular, more so for 'traditional' reverb use... lots of good options though! I'm toying with getting an afterneath...

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1447804964' post='2910648']
I'm currently using an Eventide Space, which is more of a multi-effects, the reverbs are amazing. It's expensive though.
[/quote]

+1 this really is one hell of a reverb unit! Really good for bass as well with the ability to apply the reverb to certain frequencies and keep the low end clear of mud. Shimmer and Blackhole settings are worth the price of admission alone.

[quote name='Dapper Bandit' timestamp='1448307584' post='2914360']

+1 this really is one hell of a reverb unit! Really good for bass as well with the ability to apply the reverb to certain frequencies and keep the low end clear of mud. Shimmer and Blackhole settings are worth the price of admission alone.
[/quote]

The shimmer is amazing, and the modechoreverb.