Why become a member? ×

NEW CAB DAY!!!

bassist_lewis

Went and bought myself a Barefaced One10, which turned up this morning. I played one on my visit to the workshop so I knew I'd like the tone, much more vintage than the 12s, a bit less top end but still plenty of bass. It's also plenty loud, I'm using a Streamliner which is putting out about 500w which the cab is handling with not bother, the overload light hasn't even come one!
I've got some recording and a gig tomorrow and some other stuff next week so I'll do a more thorough review then.
L

Very good, we'll need lots of pics, too. :) Always hard to believe that one ten-inch driver can hack it, but even though I have direct experience of several different Barefaced cabs I always seem to underestimate them for some reason... look forward to your review.

Edited by discreet

I've only had the cab a few days but I've already used it on a gig, a recording session and a live video recording. As you can see from the first picture, it is very tiny! For scale, in the third picture the rig is on one of those ubiquitous IKEA stools and is about the same height.

SOUND
Its been compliments all round about this amp/cab combination. In the recording session, through a very nice microphone, the sound was something like Chuck Rainey's work on Aja.It has an overall vintage sound so less top end then you would get from one of Barefaced's 12 inch speakers and plenty of bass and low mids. If you're after sparkling highs for that cheesy fusion slap tone then this cab won't do it. But it was never intended to. I used the cab for a live video recording and the band leader quipped "where is all that bass coming from?" when listening back. I have rehearsed in that room before where they usually have a 4x10 (nmot going to say the brand but not an expensive one!) and this was easily as loud and audible against, keys, drums, guitar and 3 brass.

SIZE/WEIGHT
I bought this cab because I needed something that was small, light and loud for my local gigs where backline isn't provided. This means I can get around on public transport carrying my guitar on my back, cab in one hand and my pedal board and amp in an IKEA bag in the other. Even easier if I don't need my pedal board! I even managed to walk home while very intoxicated on wednesday night/thursday morning without taking a rest.

CONCLUSION
This is a fantastic solution for small gigs where you have PA support and rehearsals. Most venues will be too big for this to fill on its own but realistically most cabs can't fill most venues on their own!. Its easy to carry and has a great vintage sounding tone - though I haven't tried any other amps so it may be versatile than I'm able to discern. Highly recommended!

I've just ordered a One10 cab this very morning!
I too need a lightweight solution, for certain town centre gigs, where I'm unable to park anywhere near the venue...
I was looking for a lightweight solution, so it's bass on my back, cab in one hand, carrycase with amphead & leads in the other hand

Nice to hear of your thoughts, and experiences with the cab. I'm intending also using the cab as an extension to my Markbass 102, for larger venues. I'm hoping I can dial in a bit more top end when using the Markbass.

Can't quite see from those pics, but it looks like a GK amp head?
Just wondered which model that is?
Cheers, and thanks again for sharing your thoughts :)