Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash, Saturday 27th September 2008: WORKSHOPS

ped

As posted by Nik - for further discussion and to comment, go here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27119"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27119[/url]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Folks,

Here's the details for the Workshops that'll be taking place at the SE Bash later this month. As you know, it's taking place here:

HOLIDAY INN
Clandon Suite 1 & 2
EGERTON ROAD
GUILDFORD, GU2 7XZ
ENGLAND

on Saturday 27th September, starting at 10am, finishing at 5.30pm (though we have the room until 6pm).

Cost: £10.00. Any profits raised will be split between (i) Basschat and (ii) the disability charity I work for, which is The Enable Me Project (www.enableme.org.uk).

Here's a quick outline of the workshops planned for the day, though exact workshop times may be subject to change as I'm still waiting for everyone concerned to get back to me to confirm their times. These will all be taking place in Room 2, which is smaller than the main room..

Workshop 1: Joe White of Joe White Guitars (http://www.jwhite-guitarworkshops.co.uk/)
Joe is a luthier and will be doing a talk on what he calls 'the black art of being a luthier'. Joe has earned a great reputation for his work and our very own OBBM has used his services and rates them highly, which is good enough for me!

Joe has offered to do set-ups on the day for Basschatters at a discounted rate of £50.00 (as opposed to his normal charge of £80.00), but you will need to bring your own strings with you. Thanks to Stingrayfan for the suggestion of having someone like Joe on the day!

Workshop 2: Adrian Ashton, Editor of Bass Guitar Magazine
Adrian has kindly offered to come and do a Q&A session with us on the day and will also bring some of his unique bass gear with him as well! Adrian is happy to talk about the kind of interviews he has done and what it's like running BGM! Should be fascinating

As well as all that, Adrian is bringing some back copies of BGM to sell, proceeds of which will go towards the pot of money raised on the day. so if you want any particular back copies, post them up here so Adrian can see what is required! Thanks to OBBM for help with this.

Workshop 3: John East
I hardly need to introduce John I would have thought, but for those of you who haven't heard of him and his amazing East pre-amps, J-Retro etc, etc - where have you been?? biggrin.gif

We are very lucky because John is going to talk about his different products and in particular, demonstrate his new filter-based pre-amp that Stanley Clarke is going to be using! As a fan of Wal basses, I am really looking forward to this! Again, thanks to OBBM for being 'the go-between'!

Workshop 4: Alex Claber
I have managed to 'gently persuade' Alex to talk us through the murky scientific world of 'acoustics' and 'speaker design' and I'm really pleased he's taken up the challenge! He'll be bringing his self-built cabs to demonstrate and it would be good to hear suggestions of what other cabs it might be good to compare them to??

Personally, I have always been amazed at the knowledge that we have available to us here on Basschat from other members and what's so stunning is that it's offered for FREE!! I've read many of Alex's posts on this subject and what with the many Basschatters using BFM cabs and building their own, it seems to me that this is a subject we could all do with knowing more about!

Rough times are:
10.30-11.45 Joe White
12.00-13.00 Adrian Ashton
13.15.14.00 John East
14.15-15.00 Alex Claber
15.00-16.00 Joe White

Joe will also be available to do set-ups throughout the day aside from his two sessions in Room 2, should people want them. Lastly, a couple of other things;

1) If you have any questions that you'd like to ask any of the people holding the Workshops, please could you PM them to me and I'll bring along a list of them all on the day - that way, we can always keep the sessions moving if there's any quiet moments when the questions dry up..
2) Whist I'm away next week, Merton & WalMan will be around to field any questions and just to say, they have been brilliant in helping make this happen!
3) Also, if anyone else would like to help on the day or has any suggestions to improve things, please let us know.. Thanks!

Sorry for such a long post and I hope it all makes sense... but I wanted to get everyone thinking in advance about what they would like to do with their time on the day! The people who've offered their time to do the Workshops have also been brilliant and thanks to them for offering, but it's all about YOU at the end of the day, so please come along and help make it totally, wonderfully, brilliant! smile.gif

Cheers

Nik