Why become a member? ×

D'Addario EXL170BT Strings

Nostromo

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of these strings. I’m thinking of trying some on a Fender Jazz bass.

Am intrigued to know if the "balanced tension" thing has any noticeable impact on playing feel or tone ?

Also wondered what colour the winding silks would be on these ? . . and I guess anyone who is using them would known that !

Cheers

Hi Nostromo,

Our EXL170BT set has a heavier E and lighter D than the EXL170 set, this means that we achieve a more balanced feel across the instrument. I use an EXL170BT set paired with a .135 B string on my 5 string Jazz and I'm a big fan. It's especially noticeable in the higher registers of the instrument when playing melodic passages, to me they are more comfortable and easier to play.

You shouldn't notice any difference in tone as the strings are constructed in exactly the same manner as any of our other nickel plated steel round wound bass strings, just a different selection of gauges. As for silks, we only use them on our flats and tapewounds.

Thanks,

Last night I took my Dean bass to practice, as I'm still not well and it's by far the lightest bass I own, it's the only 4 string bass I have that doesn't have balanced tension strings on.
It was really uncomfortable to play due to the strings.
I used to find the Dean the easiest bass to play, I was shocked how much difference it made.